Auton Under the Bed TV Lift First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Auton Dream Machine is a high-end under-bed TV lift that is designed primarily as a modern space-saving device. It hides, slides, raises and swivels a bedroom television to any desired viewing position within seconds, with just a push of a button. When we say "high-end" we mean it. The smallest model retails for around $14,000 and the most expensive model is $23,000. This is not the type of product Auton expects users to shop for at their local Best Buy or hhgreg. In fact, we'd classify this as one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" types of products... that is, until someone decides to make one and sell it for less money.

Discuss "Auton Under the Bed TV Lift First Look" here. Read the article.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Do people that want a $23k TV stand hang out on Audioholics?

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
The dust bunnies under my bed would likely poop all over the TV - not to mention the scary monster that lives under there with them... :eek:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
The aesthetics of this thing make it look like it was built by NASA.

Epic Fail

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmmmm a $25k TV stand for people with no room to wall mount.... most people who can spare $25k for a TV stand can afford a large enough bedroom to wall mount a 50" TV. But it might sell in Japan but I don't think they will sell any in the US.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmmmm a $25k TV stand for people with no room to wall mount.... most people who can spare $25k for a TV stand can afford a large enough bedroom to wall mount a 50" TV. But it might sell in Japan but I don't think they will sell any in the US.
Exactly....why not just do something like this?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i can see rich people buying that. i bet they sell some in the USA.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
So, here's what I'm wondering... how much open floor space do you have to have at the bottom of the bed so that the thing can extend out from under the bed and then swing up to vertical (from which point, I presume, it can extend up so you can see it over the foot of your bed).

It looks like it'd actually require more floor space than one of those cabinets you put at the foot of your bed (mentioned earlier in this thread).

Yeah, if I were spending this kind of money on a television stand, it'd have to be done much more elegantly than this steaming turd.

Exactly....why not just do something like this?
They do that too. In fact, that's probably their mechanism.
It looks like it'd actually require more floor space than one of those cabinets you put at the foot of your bed
Only temporarily. There could easily be situations where there wasn't the desire to put furniture there, but there was clearance to allow the TV to come out - and then disappear when done.

And rich people don't have dust bunnies! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I will never understand why people who can't afford something nice feel that it is inappropriate for those who do have that money to spend it.

A well windowed room with a 4-poster classic bed does would not have a large piece of furniture sitting on the end of that bed. Even with walls, the level of aesthetics in the room would likely demand that no audio or video be seen in the room at all. At the sacrifice of some quality, the speakers end up being the type which can be painted and blended seamlessly into drywall (Sonance) and the television gets hidden entirely under the classic bed so as to not intrude on the look of the space.

This isn't a $30 monoprice mount for the $100,000 townhouse.

This is a $20K mount for the $2,000,000 custom installed home with an interior decorator that charges as much as a lawyer for the home design work she does.

I'm more jealous of those who think nothing of dropping that kind of money than I do about whether or not that product is practical... In fact, the product is NOT practical, but that's what makes it incredibly unique and of value to certain people. Especially considering the typical quality of this manufacturer.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Only temporarily. There could easily be situations where there wasn't the desire to put furniture there, but there was clearance to allow the TV to come out - and then disappear when done.
I guess I'm not following you Clint.

You need to leave the space at the foot of the bed clear so that the entire television is clear of the bed before it starts pivoting up (at least going by the video on their web site). Once the television pivots to its normal vertical viewing position, it extends straight up.

But, you need to have at least a space as deep as the height of the television and as wide as the television clear of anything at the foot of the bed. My guess is that, for safety reasons, if the television, when it extends out from under the bed, encounters anything, it'll have to stop and go back to its storage position, much the way your garage door opener will return to the door to its raised position if it encounters anything on the way down. Otherwise, that's just a law suit waiting to happen. (At the same time, though, it's kinda fun to imagine putting one of those yappy little rat dogs on one of these, and cranking up the pivot speed so that you can launch the little critter like a catapult).

What's deeper? A cabinet at the foot of the bed out of which your television can rise up, or, for the sake of argument, let's just say the vertical dimension of a 42-inch television?

Unless, of course, you're just going to leave it in the viewing position all the time, and if that's the case, I'd want a much more attractive alternative. This thing is UGLY.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What's deeper? A cabinet at the foot of the bed out of which your television can rise up, or, for the sake of argument, let's just say the vertical dimension of a 42-inch television?
It's not about depth, Clint didn't say it was. He said that there are times when a piece of furniture at the end of the bed may not be desired, and this may be appropriate.

For example: I've gone into homes with a raised platform in the bedroom with two steps up to a classic four poster bed. There is space under the bed, but no chance in the world that there is going to be a large piece of furniture placed at the foot of the bed. Yet, a motorized mount of this nature may have been ideal.

Likewise I've been in rooms with fairly low profile designs with space under the bed, but not room for a large cabinet. Windows on THREE walls, with the headboard against the fourth wall. Plenty of space for something to slide out and raise up, but completely inappropriate for a flat panel lift at the foot of the bed.

It is NOT for everyone, in fact, for the few it even works for, it is probably not ideal for most of them. This is a product of extremely limited use, but fits those very unique situations where it is the perfect product with the matching budget.

These are people who are willing to drop $20,000 on the 1-way mirror frame LCD display setups and $10,000 for Sunbrite outdoor weatherproof LCD displays without a lot of thought. Not for those of us trolling eBay, Amazon, and Craigslist looking for a crazy A/V deal.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
But weather it's practical or not, useful or useless, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that people with the means to buy one of these are not reading reviews on audioholics to see if it's worth their $23k....

customtvlift123

Audiophyte
hi

If you have money to spend then why not spend it on something you want to put in your house. as long as you are satisfied with what you buy then there is no problem. The problem is when you are in a tight budget and still you buy something that is not necessary or not even have a place in your house to place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis