Audyssey XT32 distance measurements.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
My room is finally finished. I recently got my HSU subs, and I'm moving things around the room to find the best place suitable for the 2 subs.

Both in front of the MLP sounds extremely boomy to me it's overbearing. Until GIK sends my panels and my miniDSP gets here, I'm stuck moving things around until I'm satisfied. I do understand the Audyessy distance measurements are for sub timing. But, when I put the sub in the back corner of the room, I like to sit in the middle chair in the back of my room to watch. The sub is clearly closer to the MLP. When Audyessy measures distances, it says the front corner sub is 18.7ft, which is probably about dead on. But it says the rear sub is 17.6ft. Which I can eyeball it, it's only about 8ft away.

What do people recommend with Audyessy. I do like the overall sound better in that location, but I can really hear that sub as opposed to the other. Would the timing related to distances have anything to do with that?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I recently got my HSU subs, and I'm moving things around the room to find the best place suitable for the 2 subs.
Both in front of the MLP sounds extremely boomy to me it's overbearing.
Separate this conversation briefly... ;)

How are you placing the Subs? Where in the room? How are you attempting to identify the best placement for them?
Also, did you allow Aud to set the levels? And it is still boomy?

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Separate this conversation briefly... ;)

How are you placing the Subs? Where in the room? How are you attempting to identify the best placement for them?
Also, did you allow Aud to set the levels? And it is still boomy?

Audyessy is ran every time I move it. (Audyessy for my tastes really sets the subs too low, I tend to increase it a bit over what it sets as well.)

Subs are the VTF-15H MK2, I bought one of the dualdrive packages. Room is 22Lx16W. My original plan was to put both subs up front, to the left and right of the center channel, inside the L/R.

In both instances, it was extremely boomy. Since playing around with it more today, the right side wall and front wall behind the screen, are both concrete - and when you separate the subs and listen to 1 at a time, that side is where all the boomy sound comes from. It's very distinct compared to the left sub. So that's when I decided to try and move it to the back corner. I let Audyessy do it's thing, and the bass response was not good. It was not enjoyable at all. Audyessy clearly missed it..

I know that phasing has to do with timing, which I was under the impression that Audyessy uses it's distance measurements to help put the subs in time with the rest of the room. So when I looked in the app, I noticed the distances set goofy. I can literally sit there and play with the phase setting on the sub, and there is a clear, audible difference in the bass response in seats we sit in.. I actually had it sounding pretty good, but I can't get the subs to blend very well, and the bass sounds like it's behind you, it really lacks depth in the room. Almost like the sub up front isn't doing much. I played with levels in Audyessy, as well as on the sub itself..

I'm by no means an expert, I'm mostly barely experienced in this. But this is my first step into higher end components and a room that was renovated and built to be a dedicated space. I'm still learning, and I'm just not completely confident in what I'm doing is the right thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you explain a bit more what you did to set levels (including each sub's gain pre-Audyssey) for each?

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Can you explain a bit more what you did to set levels (including each sub's gain pre-Audyssey) for each?
I didn't set any levels until Audyessy gives you the opportunity to level match the subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't set any levels until Audyessy gives you the opportunity to level match the subs.
Okay, so level matched that way....with the suggested half setting on gain and no further adjustment was needed? What are the resulting trim levels set? Are you using LFE or LFE+Main? Speakers set to small or large ? Knowing more might help out....

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Okay, so level matched that way....with the suggested half setting on gain and no further adjustment was needed? What are the resulting trim levels set? Are you using LFE or LFE+Main? Speakers set to small or large ? Knowing more might help out....
Audyessy sets the subs too low for my taste. I always increase the level on the sub itself, not in Audyessy.

Denon X4700H, I'm using both LFE's.
Monolith 7X/5X amps.
Arendal 1723 L/R/C
Arendal 1723 L and R surround, and rear surrounds.
Focal 300 ICW 6's in ceiling.
HSU subs.

All speakers set to small. Front's crossed at 80hz. Surrounds and heights all at 100hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audyessy sets the subs too low for my taste. I always increase the level on the sub itself, not in Audyessy.

Denon X4700H, I'm using both LFE's.
Monolith 7X/5X amps.
Arendal 1723 L/R/C
Arendal 1723 L and R surround, and rear surrounds.
Focal 300 ICW 6's in ceiling.
HSU subs.

All speakers set to small. Front's crossed at 80hz. Surrounds and heights all at 100hz.
Easier to compare when you raise the trim in the avr. :) So what is the trim level Audyssey set? Yes, many like more than the flat response it aims at. Sometimes it does take a while to figure out best positioning....

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Easier to compare when you raise the trim in the avr. :) So what is the trim level Audyssey set? Yes, many like more than the flat response it aims at. Sometimes it does take a while to figure out best positioning....
Up front I believe Audyessy had set them to -7 and -5.5. Was like -4 and -6.5 when I had them in opposite corners. I'm sitting in an airport waiting for a delayed flight, so I'm not actually positive on that. I can check tomorrow when I get home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis