Audyssey XT Question

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No worries :D

If it weren't for patient people on these forums I wouldn't know anything at all :)

I have to say, I went from a Marantz 5006, to an Onkyo 3009, then added an Oppo 95. Now these are all things that are extremely capable audio processors. My own personal take is that the Marantz delivered the best sound out of the two receivers. I'm not unhappy with the sound of the Onkyo, but I'm not overly fond of it compared to Marantz. I just found the Marantz to be a bit warmer and smoother. Now comparing the Marantz and the Onkyo to the Oppo, and I can honestly say I really liked the Oppo. Much more like the Marantz sound.

Now all that was for music, I'm not claiming huge differences, but notcible to me at least. For movies, I thought I preferred the Oppo, but after doing a lot of experimenting I'm less convinced that the Oppo sound is that much better than the Onkyo, for movies at least.

All this rambling is simply to convey that firstly, I think the Denon you have is one of the better units out there for sure and secondly that perceived differences between units can have a lot to do with reputation and what you read on the forums. I think in a blind test I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the three. As long as whatever unit you're using is competently designed I fall into the camp that I don't think the differences are as exaggerated as some people might have you believe.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, that makes sense . . . this Denon is like night & day from the receiver that it's replacing (yamaha RX v2095) . . . so, I'm still learning MUCH about it.

Duh, I got it, 120 Hz is also what my Denon defaulted to for the LFE level . . . sorry for confusion (on my part) & I do appreciate your help & patience as I try to catch up a dozen years of being lost in an audio vacuum . ..

v/r,

Shek5150.
Shek, it's called the LPF of LFE (Low pass filter for the LFE channel) 120Hz is the default setting and should be used. There are choices for 80-90-100-120Hz, 120 being the default, this function can also be bypassed which I don't recommend.
Cheers Jeff:) Easy Stuff Brother, relax and breathe;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis