Audyssey, SPL and Level setting

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I re-ran Audyssey last weekend and then checked the levels manually afterward with my Radioshack SPL meter. The speakers were all fairly close to each other (ignoring the sub), but test tones were reading around 72 db at reference volume and I thought it should be around 75. Not a big deal, but I am wondering if I am doing something incorrectly. So, a dumb question: when taking SPL readings where do you position the SPL mic? I have always positioned it around ear level pointed up.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Audyssey’s goal is to shape the sound to the room, not a number. position of the mic sounds normal to me. But I am a novice at this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I re-ran Audyssey last weekend and then checked the levels manually afterward with my Radioshack SPL meter. The speakers were all fairly close to each other (ignoring the sub), but test tones were reading around 72 db at reference volume and I thought it should be around 75. Not a big deal, but I am wondering if I am doing something incorrectly. So, a dumb question: when taking SPL readings where do you position the SPL mic? I have always positioned it around ear level pointed up.
Does it indicate in its manual how it should be positioned? If you do position it horizontally does it change the reading at your main listening position? What weighting scale are you using?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So would you suggest adjusting the trim for each of the channels +3 db from where it was set to get everything at 75db, rerun Audyssey, or just trust that Audyssey got it right and my RS SPL meter is off?
If its consistent I'd just leave it....you could also play something at reference level and see how close it measures? Mic tolerance could go either way I'd think.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Does it indicate in its manual how it should be positioned? If you do position it horizontally does it change the reading at your main listening position? What weighting scale are you using?
I'm using C weighting. I'll have to see if I can find the manual -- the meter is quite old. At the time I purchased it I was buying a system and the guy at the HiFi store told me to use it pointing up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So does that mean each speaker will measure 75 db, or that the aggregate will produce 75 db’s at the MLP when the master volume is at zero? I thought it was the latter.
Well the test tones are supposed to be set for 75dB at the listening position during measurement, what's off here not sure. They used to use 85dB but that was too loud so they just adjust it internally, like they do with the LFE level. When playing movies average level should be approx 85dB when the volume is set to "0" on the reference scale....

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Well the test tones are supposed to be set for 75dB at the listening position during measurement, what's off here not sure. They used to use 85dB but that was too loud so they just adjust it internally, like they do with the LFE level. When playing movies average level should be approx 85dB when the volume is set to "0" on the reference scale....
got it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis