Audyssey MultEQ XT 32—32 Upgrade for AVR-5308CI and the AVP-A1HDCI, really?

M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast
Upgrade for the Latest Feature Enhancements!

IT'S OFFICIAL! Denon is offering a feature upgrade to our flagship A/V Surround components, the AVR-5308CI and the AVP-A1HDCI. The upgrade program will include the following feature enhancements to these already incredible products, ensuring them of being the entertainment centerpiece to their owners' home.

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS UPGRADE?

• Latest Sound Enhancement with:
■Audyssey MultEQ XT 32—32 times the resolution of MultEQ XT
■Audyssey DSX—Availability of Height or Width effect speakers
■New Audyssey Calibration Microphone
■dts Neo:X—Availability of Height or Width effect speakers
■Dolby PLIIz—Availablity of Height effect speakers
■Subwoofer Level Matching—Allows for proper level matching of multiple subs before Audyssey calibration

• HDMI 3D Pass through
Allows for 3D video pass through on the all HDMI inputs and output.

• Denon Link 4th
For AVR5308/AVPA1HDCI that did not get previous firmware update.

• A Full firmware update service is performed
This ensures the unit is completely up to date and running properly.

All for $999.99

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
So what's your point? :rolleyes:

Sounds like a valid upgrade for those that don't want their expensive receiver/prepro to be outdated feature wise.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Only $999.99? Well at least they thrown in a new mic. :p

M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast
I am going to spend the $999.00 on a new OPPO-BDP-95. Now that is value:D:D:D

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
If it's done with only a firmware upgrade then I can see being irritated. If it's replacing boards then they're justified in charging for the service.

If you don't like it the Onkyo PR-SC5508 with MultEq XT - 32 can be had for not too much more than that upgrade price for a refurb.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The upgrade involves changing out several boards. I was scheduled to receive the upgrade for my AVP-A1 but Jeff Talmadge recently left the company so I need to find another contact that can facilitate this so I can review it.

M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast
Hello Gene. I am thankful for your reviews as they really clarify the specifics and get down to the details that we like to know. I own the AVPA1HDCI and the POA-A1HDCI with all the recommeded interconnects. When contacting Denon service, The guys that I spoke to were not at all familiar with the unit. This makes me weary about sending it to a location that may cause problems because of their unfamiliarity with this unit. I am in the electronic repair business and would rather install it myself on an ESD workstation and then be able to test it after mod was complete. Pulling the unit out of my Middle Atlantic rack is challenging enough. $999.00 still seems like expensive but I would feel better if it was going back to Denon and not some repair facility that is unfamiliar wiith this unit.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
The upgrade involves changing out several boards. I was scheduled to receive the upgrade for my AVP-A1 but Jeff Talmadge recently left the company so I need to find another contact that can facilitate this so I can review it.
Hi Gene,

Sad to hear that Jeff isn't with Denon anymore.:( He was with them for quite a while. Bummer!

I'm getting my AVP upgraded, but before I do I need to find out if the upgraded portion (not the the whole AVP) has at least some kind of warranty. Because it would suck to pay $1000 only to have something funky happen with the HDMI board etc. a month down the road and have to pay again to get it fixed.

Seth

M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast
Hello Seth. Download the Upgrade info.

4No warranty is implied or extended with this upgrade.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Jeff left? He just did the Denon CI training in Chicago in July. Where did he go?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hello Gene. I am thankful for your reviews as they really clarify the specifics and get down to the details that we like to know. I own the AVPA1HDCI and the POA-A1HDCI with all the recommeded interconnects. When contacting Denon service, The guys that I spoke to were not at all familiar with the unit. This makes me weary about sending it to a location that may cause problems because of their unfamiliarity with this unit. I am in the electronic repair business and would rather install it myself on an ESD workstation and then be able to test it after mod was complete. Pulling the unit out of my Middle Atlantic rack is challenging enough. $999.00 still seems like expensive but I would feel better if it was going back to Denon and not some repair facility that is unfamiliar wiith this unit.
I looked over the Denon documentation to modify the AVP and it does involve pulling some of the connector blocks off the backpanel to get to the circuit cards to replace. It shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself if you are a little tech savvy. I agree $1k is a bit steep but at least they are supporting the product instead of making empty promises and replacing it with a completely new model.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene,

Sad to hear that Jeff isn't with Denon anymore.:( He was with them for quite a while. Bummer!

I'm getting my AVP upgraded, but before I do I need to find out if the upgraded portion (not the the whole AVP) has at least some kind of warranty. Because it would suck to pay $1000 only to have something funky happen with the HDMI board etc. a month down the road and have to pay again to get it fixed.

Seth
I would definitely call Denon to inquiry about all of this. I am sure they won't put your product in harm and will cover any defect (if any) as a result of the upgrade.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
I would definitely call Denon to inquiry about all of this. I am sure they won't put your product in harm and will cover any defect (if any) as a result of the upgrade.
Yeah I'm definitely going to ask about this. I'll let you all know what they tell me. I have to say that I'm pretty jazzed about this upgrade.:)

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Well, according to the person I spoke with at Denon, the upgraded parts have a 90 day warranty. 6 months or more would have been nice, but at least we get 90 days.

Seth

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Pfffft.... whats the point...

May as well just get a new piece with a new warranty....

I'm really happy with the performance of the new Integra 80.3, XT32 is all that IMO... SQ of this unit is top notch... I'm super happy I traded up from the D2v.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This appears to be just as costly a route as NAD with its modular design of replacing circuit cards.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I think it's great that Denon is supporting this model but $999 is pretty steep.

The HDMI board upgrade would be the only carrot that tempted me here.

The Audyssey upgrade isn't worth it IMHO. I've got 32xt on my 4311ci and I'm less than impressed with it. Once we added seats to our theater the results from Audyssey have been wildly varied and unpredictable over numerous runs. Most notable issue is a huge bloom of midbass from the center channel that makes some voices "chesty".

The center is an Aperion Audio Versus Grand Center that is crystal clear without Audyssey engaged. It's on a stand 18" off the carpeted floor and 2' from the wall behind it. So in our theater Audyssey remains disengaged.

YMMV, I just wanted to share my experience for those who may be on the fence IRT this upgrade based on getting the latest version of Audyssey.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis