Audyssey dynamic e/q help or suggestions

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Hello. I have the Denon avr- x3600 and still learning the ins and outs of different Audyssey settings. Several people have suggested and use the dynamic eq setting. When I turn it on my subs start to “talk” ie male voices and the lower registers of some female voices come from my subs. Am I missing another setting somewhere to go along with dynamic eq ? Several people swear by dynamic eq but I don’t think they would if it made their subs “talk”. Any advice would be appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello. I have the Denon avr- x3600 and still learning the ins and outs of different Audyssey settings. Several people have suggested and use the dynamic eq setting. When I turn it on my subs start to “talk” ie male voices and the lower registers of some female voices come from my subs. Am I missing another setting somewhere to go along with dynamic eq ? Several people swear by dynamic eq but I don’t think they would if it made their subs “talk”. Any advice would be appreciated.
No, but you need to miss Dynamic Eq and dynamic volume. They are a complete mess as you are finding out.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Wondering what reference level offset is also.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Without knowing your exact setup and settings, it's hard to tell.

Keep dynamic volume off, but Dinamic EQ works really well if you have the proper setup. Lots of people don't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't give up yet based on an audyssey and avr hater's opinion :) TLS is funny like that.

As to your localization of male voices in subs, might be due sub location (or sub). What sub, what Audyssey settings including levels and crossovers/changes you've made post-setup....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Don't give up yet based on an audyssey and avr hater's opinion :) TLS is funny like that.

As to your localization of male voices in subs, might be due sub location (or sub). What sub, what Audyssey settings including levels and crossovers/changes you've made post-setup....
I'm a hater with good reason. This new room measures just about perfectly and sounds fantastic. Engage any Audyssey correction and it turns this beautiful and wonderful sounding system into a screeching mess. Yes, a total mess, absolutely unlistenable. I suppose if you had an awful system there might be just some odds it might improve it by chance.

There is zero chance that a system like Audyssey could improve this system. It has two options, do nothing or ruin it. It chose the latter option!

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I'm a hater with good reason. This new room measures just about perfectly and sounds fantastic. Engage any Audyssey correction and it turns this beautiful and wonderful sounding system into a screeching mess. Yes, a total mess, absolutely unlistenable. I suppose if you had an awful system there might be just some odds it might improve it by chance.

There is zero chance that a system like Audyssey could improve this system. It has two options, do nothing or ruin it. It chose the latter option!
The better your system, the less impact Audyssey XT32 would have.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic

I take it you've never tried the App? End results are infinitely variable with it and XT32 does things right. If results are poor, that reflects the user's implementation.

Back to the OP: If DEQ is causing the subs to talk that indicates they aren't integrated properly--unless you have tiny speakers that need high crossovers. The best solution for that is bigger speakers.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
The better your system, the less impact Audyssey XT32 would have.
It has more to do with room acoustics, not Audyssey. Btw if you are hearing voices coming from your subs maybe you have the crossover set too high. Most of us I think like 80hz for a crossover but much higher and the frequency is high enough to be localized.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I take it you've never tried the App? End results are infinitely variable with it and XT32 does things right. If results are poor, that reflects the user's implementation.

Back to the OP: If DEQ is causing the subs to talk that indicates they aren't integrated properly--unless you have tiny speakers that need high crossovers. The best solution for that is bigger speakers.
Nonsense. The whole concept is unsound and totally bogus. You can not improve a system with a cheap and very nasty plastic microphone placed at distant locations. There is no sound way to implement such a system.

Aydyssey is OK for distance and levels, although it does not always get that right, but usually gets close and often spot on. For the rest it is useless, and is not worth the money. The money would be far better spent elsewhere in receivers and per/pros.

Troubles come form lousy speakers and you can not EQ lousy speakers and expect satisfaction. You can make good speakers lousy with it, bit not lousy speakers good.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Nonsense. The whole concept is unsound and totally bogus.
Of the hundreds of different concepts one may employ, which ones are conceptually unsound?

Audyssey is just a tool. How you use it is up to you. X32 with the app is a pretty darn good tool for the price. The concept one chooses to employ with it is up to the user. Whatever you think Audyssey is doing wrong, you can tell it not to do that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Yes, we've heard how you feel. You have perfect speakers and room already so no need for Audyssey (let alone a better version than you have), especially the rest of us with the awful systems listen to our horrible music you don't like either. Let alone that screechy music you like.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
All rooms but anechoic chambers will have effects on bass frequencies. Measurements with a decent umik 1 will show bass frequencies being tamed to a flatter response using that cheap plastic mic. Of which regardless of the material of housing it’s the diaphragm inside that matters and measures the sound. Using Audyssey especially xt32 to include sub eq up to the Schroeder frequency Measures a flatter response with many people who utilize it properly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, but you need to miss Dynamic Eq and dynamic volume. They are a complete mess as you are finding out.
That is baseless!! You have Omni mic, please plot some graphs and see for yourself how well Audyssey DEQ is implemented. Whether you like the effects or not is a different thing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is baseless!! You have Omni mic, please plot some graphs and see for yourself how well Audyssey DEQ is implemented. Whether you like the effects or not is a different thing.
House Curves_copy_1536x864.jpg

Here are some sweeps I did at different offsets after I tailored a flat response. No smoothing. Also, switched my VTF-3 MK5s to eq 2, 2 ports open.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's an old video in which (jump to the approx. 5 minute point) Prof Chris Kyriakakis explained how DEQ works:

DEQ_explained

Again, whether it works well or not is a subjective matter. My point is simply that it appears to work the way the creators described, and was based on human hearing characteristics. So to say it is a "mess" seems like a little extreme.:D I suggest people keep an open mind, try it, use different offsets and if none sounds better than "off" then just leave it off.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I lowered crossovers on the lcr from 80 to 60 and it didn’t help much.The suds are outlaw lfm plus series from a few years ago. The only way I have ever made them talk is to setting the crossover 120 with the gain to high “experiment” , or turning on dynamic eq on the new Denon.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks @lovinthehd . I will be running Audyssey setup again this weekend. I have the app so I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions especially on how to only eq under 200hz. From what I’ve been reading this is about the average for the rooms Schroeder frequency. I’m not sure how to set up the app to do this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis