Audyssey DSX (10.2) vs. 7.2 in smaller room

X

Xastia

Audiophyte
Hello!

I have my system currently set up with a Denon AVR-4810ci, with 10.2 (all Cerwin Vega, 2 Bic America F-12) along with an external amp to power rear speaker

My room is around 15.4x14, not ideal for acoustics at all, but I am moving in a few months.

I am notorious for trying every setup possible when it comes to audio and my theater setup, I know alot about home theater (but still have alot to learn). Luckily I have the ability to switch DSX on and off, but I am conflicted, because it sounds very immersive with DSX but less impactful than 7.2. Will I benefit with sticking to good placement and less speakers in this small space till I move into the 18x30 room.

My question is,

Will I get a better quality sound/imaging if I move down to a 7.2/5.2 for movies? (Opposed to full audyssey dsx with optimal wide placement and less than optimal high speakers.) Is my sound stage muddied by extra speakers?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If those measurements are in feet does sound kind of crowded for a 10.2 setup....maybe even for 7.2. Where are the speakers vs seats?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pics would help a little, but yeah. It sounds like 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bucket. If the room was bigger it would be worth considering, but I would scale back.

X

Xastia

Audiophyte
Yeah I will get some pictures and post, I've always thought that this is alot of speakers for my current room, it was one of those I got some handed down to me and I added it to what I had things, so I felt obligated to use it. Also those measurements are in feet

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I will get some pictures and post, I've always thought that this is alot of speakers for my current room, it was one of those I got some handed down to me and I added it to what I had things, so I felt obligated to use it. Also those measurements are in feet
I hear that. No sense in being wasteful. Do you have a bedroom system? Maybe you could seed that?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Meh, I have a 12.2 setup in a room smaller than that. The only issue I see is that in a room that small wide speakers are of questionable usefulness. I would totally advocate for height channels in an Atmos/Auro 3D/DTS X configuration, but wides are whatever.

X

Xastia

Audiophyte
Meh, I have a 12.2 setup in a room smaller than that. The only issue I see is that in a room that small wide speakers are of questionable usefulness. I would totally advocate for height channels in an Atmos/Auro 3D/DTS X configuration, but wides are whatever.
Wish I could, I can't afford a quality Atmos receiver atm. Maybe some day when I can set it up right and build a room around it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ht room https://imgur.com/gallery/a9R3V

I was thinking about letting my girlfriends family use them, as they are using bose acoustimass speakers and it makes me sad inside
Lol. I hear that too. That’s a pretty good idea, not to mention generous. Might get some brownie points too.

Link didn’t work for me...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis