Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
OMG ............like you can't recognize an ounce or two of levity ?? !!

Of course I know what started the thread, regardless I bought a pair of IC's for ten bucks, that's supposed to make you jump for joy !
Mikado463:
If I've learned one thing on forums (not exclusive to AH) its that humor is t-o-u-g-h to pull off.
When I read your post I raised an eyebrow and said "i wonder if he's making a joke?"
I decided to wait and see how the responses played out.
Whew! I'm glad I waited since you were just goofin' and havin' a little fun.

I appreciate the levity. It's tough to come by on some days

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Mikado463:
If I've learned one thing on forums (not exclusive to AH) its that humor is t-o-u-g-h to pull off.
When I read your post I raised an eyebrow and said "i wonder if he's making a joke?"

I no, rite? Achievement unlocked: Andy Kaufman. Took me a minute as well.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This may bring a laugh or two, so what the heck - when I buy the amp I want, I'm soldering the mother... :cool: I'm really a "no change guy". I'm soldering the lot. I'll solder the sub connections, speaker connections, cat's whiskers, the neighbor...

The only way out is if it burns out!

You see how important was the decision you helped me make. It's one in a life time.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Wow. 500% markup? WOW.
Pricing is done in most retail as 'margin points', which is the percentage of the selling price. $64 profit on an $80 sale is 80 margin points. Prices based on markup is great if it's high, but at lower markup, it may seem like a lot, but it can lead to a business failing. 40% markup is roughly 28.5 margin points and it's a lot easier (and faster) to think in terms of monthly/annual revenue and profit projections in terms of margin points when estimating the upcoming cost of doing business- multiply that by 4 and break it into 12 units to see how much profit is needed every month.

When I started selling audio, the store owner wanted us to use 40% markup for just most electronic equipment and this was before the deep discounting & big box stores had begun and most people bought locally, or when they might buy something that would travel easily. While we saw 40% markup as 'enough' or 'more than enough', we didn't know the actual costs of doing business for the two stores and in reality, it didn't provide a large net profit even though we weren't paid extremely well. The cost of being in a mall ate a lot of the profits, but it did provide a lot of walk-in traffic that wouldn't have happened outside of a mall.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Pricing is done in most retail as 'margin points', which is the percentage of the selling price. $64 profit on an $80 sale is 80 margin points. Prices based on markup is great if it's high, but at lower markup, it may seem like a lot, but it can lead to a business failing. 40% markup is roughly 28.5 margin points and it's a lot easier (and faster) to think in terms of monthly/annual revenue and profit projections in terms of margin points when estimating the upcoming cost of doing business- multiply that by 4 and break it into 12 units to see how much profit is needed every month.

When I started selling audio, the store owner wanted us to use 40% markup for just most electronic equipment and this was before the deep discounting & big box stores had begun and most people bought locally, or when they might buy something that would travel easily. While we saw 40% markup as 'enough' or 'more than enough', we didn't know the actual costs of doing business for the two stores and in reality, it didn't provide a large net profit even though we weren't paid extremely well. The cost of being in a mall ate a lot of the profits, but it did provide a lot of walk-in traffic that wouldn't have happened outside of a mall.
Very informative thanks. Well malls seem to be disappearing these days so that would be a moot point. I wonder at the markup of online stores?

highfigh

highfigh

Very informative thanks. Well malls seem to be disappearing these days so that would be a moot point. I wonder at the markup of online stores?
They can make more with lower prices just because they don't have to pay mall rent but people killed the local dealers because they decided that cheap was more important than supporting local businesses. And jobs.

WRT reseller pricing- if someone (or a company) is an authorized dealer for most brands, they're required to adhere to the manufacturer's pricing rules, called MAP (Minimal Advertised Price)

and UAP (Unilateral Advertised Price)

A reseller can sell for less than MAP, just not through advertising. If they set their prices too low, they won't survive but with crap like AQ and others, there's no shortage of profit, so they could discount if they wanted, but why kill a cash cow?

If a reseller violates these requirements, they risk losing the brand and one example happened about ten years ago- Pioneer Electronics actually cut off Amazon. If they had allowed Amazon to continue the practice of offering products below MAP, other dealers would have dropped the brand and that would have hurt Pioneer far more than losing Amazon.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Mikado463:

Craig Ferguson had a sketch on his show and in the dialogue, he made a comment that seemed to have been misunderstood by one of the other actors. After this was clear, Ferguson said "I know, but if you have to explain the joke, it means it didn't f&cking work".

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Craig Ferguson had a sketch on his show and in the dialogue, he made a comment that seemed to have been misunderstood by one of the other actors. After this was clear, Ferguson said "I know, but if you have to explain the joke, it means it didn't f&cking work".
@highfigh
As a lifelong humorist, I can tell you for sure that if you end up explaining a joke, its a bust.
Thankfully, the busted joke on the AH wasn't mine this time but someone elses.
I know people, I think we all do, that can't tell a joke or funny story to save their lives. Humor is easy for some and nearly impossible for others. I am happy to be in the category that can usually pull off a joke. Usually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis