Audiophile Computer

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
What do you use for computer audio? Or what do you consider the best set up for audiophile sound from a computer?

1) An MP3 player feeding quality self powered speakers? (This bypasses the sound card entirely)
2) An external audiophile sound card (Like the M-Audio Transit 24-bit/96kHz USB sound card) feeding self powered speakers from the computer?
3) A hard disk player like an iPod feeding an external preamp like a Headroom Bithead then to self powered speakers?

Here's my situation. I've been listening to internet radio through crappy plastic computer speakers at work and can't take it anymore. I have a pair of Acoustic Research self powered speakers and a Rio flash memory MP3 player (supplier gift still in the box) at home. I want to use what I've got and invest the bare minimum.

Any suggestions or examples of your set ups would be appreciated. I need good sound at work! :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have my MP3 collection ripped at 192 kbps using iTunes through my sound card that came with my Dell. I use these speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=922

With this sub that's on sale for $99 often:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5539367&type=product&id=1051826218390

This setup sounds terrific even at very loud spl's. Nice thing about the Klipsch speakers is they have an 3.5mm audio input for my iPod mini that allows me to either listen to music without the PC being on or I could take the speakers with me if needed. One annoying thing about the Klipsch is the green power light is way too bright. But the speakers cost $100 and I'm extremely satisfied with them. They seem to have a good amplifier in them and I notice very little distortion when played VERY loud. :D

The sub might be a bit overkill but compliments the Klipsch nicely. It plays tight, not boomy, and adds the needed bass the speakers are missing.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Well, I've got my MP3s pumping through my HTPC which has a Creative Audigy4 Pro which is connected through my Yamaha receiver and Klipsch SF2 floor-standing speakers. My MP3s are all ripped at a minimum of 192 with a few CDs ripped in lossless... but I'll say this before anyone else does: "audiophile" and "MP3" really don't belong in the same sentence, unless they are used in a sentence explaining that they shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Duffinator has excellent taste in computer speakers, those are superb. There's a Yamaha speaker system I bought years ago which provides awesome sound for an office-sized room. I think it was the YST-80, it had two satellites and a sub with plenty o'power. So this is going to be for work? Won't your co-workers mind having their staplers rattling off the desk?

Have you considered an expensive pair of studio-quality headphones?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Indeed, headphones are a great buy. I'd personally recommend the Sony MDR-7506 headphones. You can get them for about $100 online from a reputable site. They're some of the most accurate headphones you can buy and have good isolation, rugged design, folding capability, and are easily driven by iPods and other portable players.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
nick_danger said:
So this is going to be for work? Won't your co-workers mind having their staplers rattling off the desk?

Have you considered an expensive pair of studio-quality headphones?
I have the luxury of a large office with a door. Unfortunately, headphones are out of the question; my phone rings constatnly and I have people at my door throughout the day. The idea of taking earbuds in and out isn't very appealing and my co workers would heckle me endlessly for wearing cans.

I already take abuse for drinking tea instead of coffee...people in the steel industry like to portray a tough guy image. :cool: Even when it comes to sandwiches, I was once told "steel men don't eat wraps."

Nobody uses an external "audiophile" sound card?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
What the hell is an "audiophile" sound card. As long as it's got a 24 bit / 96kHz DAC, there will be no audible difference, only features.

Paul

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, while this isn't the bare minimum, I've heard only good things about these Swans Speakers. They have a classy look, good sound, and are self-powered. You can hook them up directly to your portable player or, if you want one in your office, a regular ol' CD player with RCA outputs. And about ordering these online, Newegg is a great place to buy from. I've spent more than $1000 there and NEVER had a problem.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Well, while this isn't the bare minimum, I've heard only good things about these Swans Speakers. They have a classy look, good sound, and are self-powered. You can hook them up directly to your portable player or, if you want one in your office, a regular ol' CD player with RCA outputs. And about ordering these online, Newegg is a great place to buy from. I've spent more than $1000 there and NEVER had a problem.
As always very knowledgable Jaxvon. I bought a pair of Swans to use in my Kitchen. I highly recommend them. They have excellent sound quality and build quality that would me make think they are much more expensive speakers.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I've spent about $5K at Newegg over the past few weeks. Everything from Swans to Ipods to GPS systems. Not always the best rpices but it is easier to consolidate all my shopping in one place. Of all the items I bought, the Swans are my favorite. Before you buy them though, you should realize they are big for computer spekers. Each one is the size of a mini computer tower.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nick_danger said:
.. but I'll say this before anyone else does: "audiophile" and "MP3" really don't belong in the same sentence, unless they are used in a sentence explaining that they shouldn't be in the same sentence.
In the past few weeks I've seen this assereted several times. It's bull_s_h_i_t. Do a search for 'mp3' in the AH search engine, if you are curious as to why.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Francious70 said:
What the hell is an "audiophile" sound card. As long as it's got a 24 bit / 96kHz DAC, there will be no audible difference, only features.

Paul
I don't know if that's entirely true. The Creative Labs cards produce very high IMD disortion at specific points, a product of the poor resampler used when playing 44.1Khz data and allowing the internal resampler to do it's 'job'. The IMD disortion can be found to reach values into the single digits in this case. Is this audible in music? I don't know, due to the specific bands it occurs, and under which conditions. However, it is certainly audible on test tones such as udial.wav as terrible artifacts. This problem can be completely bypassed by using a program such as Foobar, which has a high quality resampler, to resample to 48kHz(removing the requirement of the card to resample the data) before sending to the soundcard.

-Chris

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Wait, so what's BS? That "audiophile" and "MP3" don't belong in the same sentence? I guess if you take one of the dictionary's meanings of the word "audiophile", which is "A person having an ardent interest in audio reproduction", then they certainly can belong in the same sentence.

But when it comes to quality reproduction, MP3 is mostly crap by comparison to other methods.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nick_danger said:
But when it comes to quality reproduction, MP3 is mostly crap by comparison to other methods.
Mostly 'crap' by what meaning? It is demonstrated, that at high bitrates, with competant encoders, that it is transparent in MOST cases when compared to the original source data. So, how can it be 'mostly' crap by comparison? Are you referring to the poor quality MP3s found on P2P networks on average? Are you referring to special problem samples that are not represenative of normal music content and thus break the psychoacoustic models? If so, you should clarify this instead of making such broadly sweeping generalizations that are nothing more than perpetuated misinformation.

-Chris

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'm referring to your average 128K MP3, which is how most people record their MP3s. Yes, a properly encoded, lossless-encoded, or high VBR can be very hard to distinguish, but it's impossible to argue that it's as good as a DVD-A, Super Audio, or even a CD. I shouldn't have to clarify my statement because the argument is moot, MP3s can not be as good as the original source, we all know this is true. While I can appreciate your desire to argue over this, there's really no point to it. If you only take issue with my use of the word "crap", then take heart in knowing that I use "crap" to describe a lot of crap. Call it lazy typing...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis