Audioholics new Reference Speakers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

I just sold my RBH T30s and replaced them with these little gems. Think they will fill my 6,000ft^3 listening space and achieve reference levels?

Who can guess what speakers these are?

Attachments

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
They look like those old JBL Control Series speakers. What no center?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Guys;

I just sold my RBH T30s and replaced them with these little gems. Think they will fill my 6,000ft^3 listening space and achieve reference levels?

Who can guess what speakers these are?
How many watts will they take?;)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Were these the only ones you had laying around to give you something to use until the new RBHs came in?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've got my 500wpc Denon POA-A1HDCI amplifier plugged into them so we shall see :)
I think you are optimistic Gene! Those speakers are rated at 100 watts, with an sensitivity of 87 db 1 watt one meter. They are -6db at 67 Hz.

Crossover first order to woofer, with a variable resistor following a 0.4 mH inductor, The inductor and variable resistor are bypassed by a 5 ohm resistor and a 20mfd cap which is also bypassed, so I suspect it is an electrolytic. The control I think forms a variable BSC control.

Tweeter crossover is second order. The enclosure seems to be ported.

I would imagine if you give it the gas the wire wound variable resistor would be likely burn up, but might protect the woofer.

I doubt those speaker will fill your space, but keep us informed.

I suppose this is a temporary set up.

However, if you want potent small speakers, you get the ATC SCM 7 speakers.

One thing Billy Woodman knows how to do, is build very potent small drivers. These speakers sound fantastic with superb clarity. They can produce 103 db. Their -6db point is 60 Hz, and they will have more low bass then your JBLs as they are sealed and will roll off 12 db rather than 24 db per octave.

Price is $500 each speaker, so a set of 5 would set you back $2,500.

Now the -3db point is 90 Hz, so you could make a very nice 5.1 THX system with the crossover at 80 Hz. A good low Qt sub or subs would be required.

I believe this set up would outperform the vast majority of systems in use today for home HT

In these days of WAF you really should try and review such a system.

Those speakers are a really hidden gem and not used to anything like the extent they should.

Even though Billy Woodman produces fine studio monitors and vast exotic systems for Disney Hall and others, he told me that of all his speakers he is most proud of his little SCM7. And those are the speakers he uses in his home for his personal listening.

I have included the service manual for you latest reference speakers, with that much power you might need it!

You site does not have enough space to upload a two page black and white pdf file! So I have had to upload it to my site here.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Were these the only ones you had laying around to give you something to use until the new RBHs came in?
Yea any spare speakers are in my remote storage facility and I am too lazy to get them.

I just requested review samples of Paradigm Monitor 9s and Infinity Primus P362s. Perhaps I can do a mini shootout while I wait for my new speakers :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think you are optimistic Gene! Those speakers are rated at 100 watts, with an sensitivity of 87 db 1 watt one meter. They are -6db at 67 Hz.

Crossover first order to woofer, with a variable resistor following a 0.4 mH inductor, The inductor and variable resistor are bypassed by a 5 ohm resistor and a 20mfd cap which is also bypassed, so I suspect it is an electrolytic. The control I think forms a variable BSC control.

Tweeter crossover is second order. The enclosure seems to be ported.

I would imagine if you give it the gas the wire wound variable resistor would be likely burn up, but might protect the woofer.

I doubt those speaker will fill your space, but keep us informed.

I suppose this is a temporary set up.

One thing Billy Woodman knows how to do, is build very potent small drivers. These speakers sound fantastic with superb clarity. They can produce 103 db. Their -6db point is 60 Hz, and they will have more low bass then your JBLs as they are sealed and will roll off 12 db rather than 24 db per octave.

Now the -3db point is 90 Hz, so you could make a very nice 5.1 THX system with the crossover at 80 Hz. A good low Qt sub or subs would be required.

I believe this set up would outperform the vast majority of systems in use today for home HT

In these days of WAF you really should try and review such a system.

Those speakers are a really hidden gem and not used to anything like the extent they should.

Even though Billy Woodman produces fine studio monitors and vast exotic systems for Disney Hall and others, he told me that of all his speakers he is most proud of his little SCM7. And those are the speakers he uses in his home for his personal listening.

I have included the service manual for you latest reference speakers, with that much power you might need it!

You site does not have enough space to upload a two page black and white pdf file! So I have had to upload it to my site here.
You do realize I set this up as a joke right?

In all honesty, I crossed them over at 90Hz to my dual Velodyne DD15+ subs and they don't sound half bad. I'm able to crank them pretty darn good as a result. This will hold me so I can still play my XBOX360 till new speakers arrive. In PLIIx Music, its listenable.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

One thing Billy Woodman knows how to do, is build very potent small drivers.
I'm waiting to see these replace those TLs in your main listening area. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

In all honesty, I crossed them over at 90Hz to my dual Velodyne DD15+ subs and they don't sound half bad. I'm able to crank them pretty darn good as a result. This will hold me so I can still play my XBOX360 till new speakers arrive. In PLIIx Music, its listenable.
Yes, I do!

However it is topical in these days of WAF.

I'm not surprised they are not totally dreadful.

I do think though that talking up the possibility of getting very good results from a set of very small speakers and sub or subs, is timely.

I'm not aware of any other speaker the size of the SCM 7s that can do what they do.

So, yes a joke, but also time to think about excellent results from an unobtrusive system.

So this thread is a nice vehicle for a point I have wanted to make for some time.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai

Any chance of a video clip of the magic smoke being let loose? :p

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic

I was worried you had bumped your head and you became programed with Bose. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis