Audioholics Cook Book...What's your favorite recipe?

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I do all the cooking (by choice...though I'd be a lot thinner if I let my wife cook ;) ) so I've been debating what to share with you all... Here, I'll start with this, maybe add some more if this thread hangs on:

[Note: I don't measure anything so don't ask. I'll try to give approximations where necessary]

OPRA's Simple Asian Style Marinade:
Soy sauce (regular)
Rice Vinegar (non-seasoned)
Mirin
Crushed garlic
Hot sauce (tabasco will do - just need the heat - stay away from Louisiana Hot sauce and similar...too sweet)

The two main ingredients are the soy and the garlic (lots of both), a little rice vinegar and mirin and just a shot or two of Tabasco. Experiment with different spices (suggestions: thyme, 5-spice, cilantro) and additional additives (suggestions: hosin, sambal, grated fresh ginger). This marinade works best for fish and chicken but can also be used for steaks. It tends to be a little strong so you can dilute it with water or just marinate the meat for only a few minutes (tuna steaks, for example, take only 15-30 minutes if it is fairly thick)

Sample use:

Sesame Encrusted Seared Tuna

Ingredients:
Tuna steak (at least an inch think - preferably much more)
OPRA's Marinade (see above)
Untoasted sesame seeds (both light and dark if you can find the dark)
Bit of oil (prefer peanut or safflower)
Oven safe pan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Marinate the tuna for 15-30 minutes. Spread some sesame seeds on a plate or bowl large enough to dip the tuna in large side down. Once done marinating, let it dry for a few moments (just don’t want it dripping all over the place). Dip the tuna’s largest sides (usually two though if it is REALLY thick, you could possibility dip all of them) into the sesame seeds, pressing down to set them. Repeat, adding sesame seeds to your plate/bowl as needed. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT: Let the tuna sit for at LEAST 5 minutes before cooking. If you don’t, all the seeds will fall off into the oil. Place the tuna, sesame seed side down into a pan with a bit of oil over medium heat. The oil should be hot but not smoking. Sear the tuna until the bottom starts to brown. Turn the tuna over and sear the other side. If you wish to cook it past rare (which should be a crime as far as I’m concerned), after you turn it the first time, stick it (pan and all) in the oven for X minutes (where X is the amount of time you wish to overcook your tuna by). Slice thinly and serve over rice or on a salad. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Tom Andry said:
OPRA's Simple Asian Style Marinade:
Enjoy.
I'm gonna try this within the next month. If it poisons me, I'm comin' after ya, Tom. ;)

Your mention of sambal oelek reminds me of a very easy recipe, that's a delightful change of pace from the ordinary meats.

RJ'S B-B-Q'ed BOIDS

* One cornish game hen per eater
* ~1 cup favorite BBQ sauce (I prefer Bullseye - Original flavor)
* 1 tsp sambal oelek

Wash the game hens, insides too. I recommend barbecuing (indirect method, over a drip pan), but your usual oven cooking and settings for chicken will do. Put them in the BBQ and sear the hens directly over the coals (or in a lightly oiled fry pan if oven cooking) to lock in the juices, about 1 minute per side. Then place them in the BBQ away from the coals, or into the oven, and heavily coat with the BBQ sauce mixed with the sambal oelek. Cooking time will vary depending upon your BBQ or oven. With my Weber, the full cook time is roughly 50 minutes. (When the legs wiggle easily, they're done.) Do not overcook! About halfway through the cooking time, flip upside down and coat the birds again with the remaining sauce mixture.

This recipe lights up a normally drab meat, keeps it moist and is unusual enough to serve to "special" (heh heh..any single guys out there looking to impress anyone?) guests. I suggest serving with a box of cooked Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild Rice (not the box...the rice), and some canned asparagus, topped with a dollup of mayonnaise whipped with just a pinch of chipotle (or other) pepper powder. As a final aesthetic touch, broadcast a bit of fresh or dried cilantro over the plate and all the food. Easy, instant, special 5 Mmmm dinner with minimal muss and fuss. Enjoy.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....so nobody's interested in getting into charcoaling?....is it based on experiences in parks?......

Last edited:
Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I just got the left overs from my business' Christmas party-
Both from the carving station...
about 5 lbs of Prime Rib
about 8 lbs of turkey
Any Ideas to whip up some left overs???

Thinking of Beef Stroganoff for the prime rib but thought I would ask for some suggestions!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....so nobody's interested in getting into charcoaling?....is it based on experiences in parks?......
Uh, check the post just before yours, Mulie. Better yet, try it! ;)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
Uh, check the post just before yours, Mulie. Better yet, try it! ;)
.....I saw that (looked scrumptious) post of yours, RJBudz, but I wasn't gonna' talk about charcoal-grilling a certain item/recipe, I was gonna' talk about a 22 inch Weber charcoaler/ashes-rake-system, and how to get by cheap on charcoal, if you never go to a park and get if off the ground....then, we could all give tips and recipes with Weber usage, RJ....it's easy to learn how to cook meat with a Weber 22 if you build the coalbed right....if I have no free park charcoal, and must purchase at a store, about 12 briquettes will be taken from the bag at each cooking....I was all fired up to give a lecture, RJ, nobody showed up, and it didn't even take a ticket....shore hurts, boys......

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
(white) chocolate salty balls

Two tablespoons of cinnamon.
And two or three egg-whites.
I have a stick of buttah.
Mmmmmeltin'.

Stick it all in a booowl baby.
Stir it with a wooden spoon.
Mix in a cup of flooour.
You'll be in heaven soon.

Say everybody have you seen my balls, they're big and salty and (white)?
If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth.

Ooooo. Suck on my (white) chocolate salty balls.
Stick 'em in your mouth and suck 'em.
Suck on my (white) chocolate salty balls.
They're packed full of vitamins, and good for you.
So suck on my balls!

Regards :eek: :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis