Audioholics Cook Book...What's your favorite recipe?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
The following post came from another thread on cookware. The reference to "fancy pans" may be a fun play on words, sarcasm, or otherwise....nevertheless, it begs for a new thread...one that gives all you closet chefs out there, or just plain food lovers, a chance to share your favorite snack, dinner, holiday, or whatever recipe with the rest of us a/v hogs and hoggettes. Just in time for the holidays. So have at it! (Mine is to follow, as I now need to go do my CEO (missus) assigned chores. :( )

ironlung said:
I wholeheartedly agree we have wiped our collective butt with the planet. Can we agree we get enough pollution day to day without brushing our teeth with metal polish and chewing on mercury thermometers?

Here is something to try with your fancy pans and its pretty easy and good. If you like a little spice. It also makes the house smell great.

Arabiatta(SP) sauce ("angry" sauce)

6 cups marinara (2 normal jars if you dont have homemade)
1/2 pound spicy pancetta(SP) a kind of italian bacon (coarsly chopped)
fresh garlic (5) cloves or as much/little you like (minced)
2 tsp red pepper flakes or as hot/not hot as you like
light olive oil

Take a pan that will comfortably hold 6-7 cups. I use my 12" frying pan with straight sides. Put a good amount of oil in a hot pan and brown the pancetta till it's crispy. Throw in the garlic and pepper saute for about 1 min. Add the sauce and simmer (light bubbling) uncovered to thicken and bring the flavor together about 20-30 min stir ocassionally.

It's good on many things. Put it over some grilled chicken on pasta. It's great on stuffed shells or cheese ravoli or just plain pasta.

What do other 'holics like to cook?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A meal I make regularly is based on something my Mom called 'Steak Italian'. Her version used tomato sauce and I think also had sour cream, but I have changed that a bit and my concoction is really just Pepper Steak.

- Pound or so of beef (top round, flank steak, london broil - doesn't really matter)
- Fresh peppers; I usually use 1 each of Red, Green, and Orange or Yellow bell peppers.
- Fresh mushrooms
- Onions and/or Shallots
- Beef broth and beef/mushroom gravy (I prefer Campbells Beefy Mushroom Soup but my grocery stores don't seem to stock it anymore)

- Cut the beef into thin slices
- Cut the peppers into thin slices
- Saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until almost done. Add the beef and brown until cooked.
- Add beef broth and let it fast simmer until the beef is tender and the majority of the broth is gone.
- Throw in the peppers and gravy and let simmer until the peppers are soft.
- Add shredded cheese of your liking.

Serve over rice or noodles or eat it like stew with butter bread.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Sweet and sour pork chop.

2 pieces of pork tenderloin. Tenderize with a meat tenderizer.

1) Coat the bottom of your saute pan well with vegetable oil.
2) Bring oil to boiling
3) Put in 1 or 2 pieces of ginger root
4) Sear the pork chops till you can no longer see signs of raw meat
5) Add 2-3 table spoons of cooking wine
6) Add plenty of soy sauce (I never actually measure the amount, just eye ball it)
7) Add a couple table spoons of vinegar
8) Add a couple table sppons of table sugar
9) Add several cups of water, till the water covers the pork chops
10) Put in some chopped green scallions
11) Bring to boil, then cook additional 8 minutes

Ready to serve.

Vary the sesaonings to taste.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I watch Iron Chef and try to make what they make....

...So far unsucessful

SheepStar

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Me sarcastic....never

rjbudz said:
The following post came from another thread on cookware. The reference to "fancy pans" may be a fun play on words, sarcasm, or otherwise....nevertheless, it begs for a new thread...

I probably should have started a new thread with that post. Thanks for doing it.

It's fair to include me in the "fancy pan" owners club. I could have a few SVS ultra/2's (glossy ones) for what I have in pans, cutlery and appliances.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Pizza....make like any normal recipe says to, but do the following topping changes:

Alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce.
Buffalo Mozzarella instead of cow milk mozzarella
Diced chicken, marinated in a ginger sauce
Proscuitto
freshly minced garlic

Cook then top with fresh coarsely ground black pepper.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Man, these are making me hungry (while waiting for dinner guests....C'mon AverageJoe!). :p I'm a southwest food fan, so.....(I was going to give you my Black Bean Chipotle Chili Soup for the wintry days/nights, but it's a bit too lengthy for here. PM me if you want it.)

Here's a good belly warmer snack to serve with Mexican/southwest foods or simply as an appetizer. (Goes well with chips and salsa or nachos, too. Can you say "Fiesta Bowl"?! :) ) Good side dish with breakfasts.

RJ'S HOT CARROTS

6-8 carrots, sliced at an angle, 1/2"
1/2 bottle/can of whole jalapenos with 1/2 the attending juice
1/2 large white onion, sliced in strips
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
1/2 cup vinegar (any kind will do)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
optional, 1 cup bite-size cauliflower florets

Steam carrots (and cauliflower if used) to desired tenderness. They should be just a little crisp...don't overcook. Drain off fluids and add jalapenos and juice from the can/bottle, onion, bell pepper, oil, and vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 3 hours, mixing occasionally. The longer the carrots and other veggies marinade, the better...and slightly hotter they will be. ;) Enjoy.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
....the key to killer homemade soup lies in the tomatoey base of the juice, not the meat or the vegetables....don't use tomato sauce, tomato juice, or, (shutter), tomato paste, I'm not sure which one is worse in homemade soup....one or two large 303 cans of "whole tomatoes" poured into a LARGE bowl, including every drop of the juice, and criss-cross cut them up with butter knives about the size of a nickel for me, please....and to me, the best flavor for the overall, comes from using lean hamburger instead of stew-meat, I swear, even though I thought stew-meat could not be beat at one time....lean hamburger, fried down easy, and leave a little of the liquid....what?....yeah, I know, the liquid's fat...with flavors in it from the cooking down of the hamburger....I said a little....ok, short of a gallon....that covered a pretty good range, actually......

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
....the key to killer homemade soup lies in the tomatoey base of the juice, not the meat or the vegetables....don't use tomato sauce, tomato juice, or, (shutter), tomato paste, I'm not sure which one is worse in homemade soup....one or two large 303 cans of "whole tomatoes" poured into a LARGE bowl, including every drop of the juice, and criss-cross cut them up with butter knives about the size of a nickel for me, please....and to me, the best flavor for the overall, comes from using lean hamburger instead of stew-meat, I swear, even though I thought stew-meat could not be beat at one time....lean hamburger, fried down easy, and leave a little of the liquid....what?....yeah, I know, the liquid's fat...with flavors in it from the cooking down of the hamburger....I said a little....ok, short of a gallon....that covered a pretty good range, actually......
Best is to trim all fat and grind your own top round or top sirloin...provided you have a grinder, of course...that is the way to go...and is the real secret to good spaghetti or soup or chili or taco or .... oh no....I'm hungry again. Well...that and some fresh spices. (I recommend www.penzeys.com The best!) And Mulie...for the exquisite...use fresh tomatoes! (Place in fast boiling water for 5 seconds and remove. They will peel like a dream.)

And speaking of food and speakers...I have a bass taco recipe you might like. Though don't you southerners prefer catfish? ;)

I gotta go find some food.........

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
What kind of meat grinder do you guys recommend? I just need to do some occassional grinding for making hamburger patties.

I looked at those hand grinders on amazon, but most of them are made of cast iorn. Wont that rust? Is an electric one really necessary? And how easy is the cleanup? Is there is a stainless steel hand grinder?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
What kind of meat grinder do you guys recommend? I just need to do some occassional grinding for making hamburger patties.

I looked at those hand grinders on amazon, but most of them are made of cast iorn. Wont that rust? Is an electric one really necessary? And how easy is the cleanup? Is there is a stainless steel hand grinder?
I haven't seen a stainless grinder...but you'd think somebody must make them. We use a KitchenAid mixer with grinder attachment. Makes perfect ground beef! We buy "value packs" at the local Safeway, then grind and put up many lbs. of meat in the freezer. It doesn't take long at all and we're set for 6 months or more. (We also use one of those vacuum sealer wrapping machines...highly recommended!)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
My aunt used to have a tin lined cast iron grinder. But it's years since I have seen that one, I'm not even sure if she still has it.

What kind of meat do you use for grinding? I remember reading somewhere that you need to add a certain amount of fat to the ground meat. Otherwise the meat will be too dry.

Matt34

Matt34

rjbudz said:
I haven't seen a stainless grinder...but you'd think somebody must make them. We use a KitchenAid mixer with grinder attachment. Makes perfect ground beef! We buy "value packs" at the local Safeway, then grind and put up many lbs. of meat in the freezer. It doesn't take long at all and we're set for 6 months or more. (We also use one of those vacuum sealer wrapping machines...highly recommended!)

My wife loves her Kitchen Aid mixer! I'll have to see if she knows about the grinder attachment.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Matt34 said:
My wife loves her Kitchen Aid mixer! I'll have to see if she knows about the grinder attachment.
Don't see if she knows! Buy her one for Christmas. Ho ho hooooo.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
What kind of meat do you use for grinding? I remember reading somewhere that you need to add a certain amount of fat to the ground meat. Otherwise the meat will be too dry.
I mentioned that we use top sirloin or top round. These are extremely lean meats. When browning them (after grinding) we do indeed use a little olive or canola oil. But the beef is much healthier for you, and is quite superior tasting to store bought hamburger. Also, we don't use it for meaty items like hamburgers. We only use the ground sirloin/round for moist foods like spaghetti, chili, soups, etc.

I'll never again buy the ground crud they sell in supermarkets.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The best way to buy beef is direct from the farmer. We buy a half a cow (our friends buy the other half) and have it processed according to our specifications. All of our beef is prime (3 weeks) and is absolutely amazing. If you have this option, it is well worth the time. Besides, you save SO much money. All of our beef came in well under $3/lb, all costs in.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Buying a cow!? How in the world do you slaughter that cow? I would hate to slaughter it in my backyard!:eek:

$3/lb is quite a bargain.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
You probably send it to the butcher's like you would a deer or bear if you hunted one down.

edit: misread, thought you meant cut it up....I bet the farmer's know people who can do it, if they don't do it themselves.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
The best way to buy beef is direct from the farmer. We buy a half a cow (our friends buy the other half) and have it processed according to our specifications. All of our beef is prime (3 weeks) and is absolutely amazing. If you have this option, it is well worth the time. Besides, you save SO much money. All of our beef came in well under $3/lb, all costs in.
.....bravo, Jaxvon, and if you go to the market like I do, ain't got no freezer, spent it all on stereo stuff, gettin' close, look all over your town for a cut of beef named "Chuck-Eye"....I like the flavor on certain cuts of Chuck-Eye MUCH better than Rib-Eye....yeah, we're talking grilling out back on the Weber on the patio....Chuck-Eye goes for half of what Rib-Eye does here in this town....look for cuts of Chuck-Eye that have marbling and the meat is in pods, good grief....when you first set the Chuck-Eye on the grill, push from all the sides to make it as tall as possible for thickness....then let the fire rip it 'till it has small black spots, check it close doing this....then flip it over, push it up tall again, and rip that side 'till black spots....then set the steaks off the fire but still inside the grill, and put small strips of beef fat the butcher saved for you over the fire....put top on and vent normally....smoke/bake the steaks 10-15 minutes 'till the middle is warm but still fairly pink....serve on plate with butter pats on top and prepare in advance to go temporarily blind....Weber 22 inch grill....scientifically worked out grid placements and vent openings.....amazing resiliency to sitting outside in the sun, rain, and cold....have had mine around 12 years....every day in the sun....now I'm hungry....all your fault, Jaxvon.....

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....bravo, Jaxvon, and if you go to the market like I do, ain't got no freezer, spent it all on stereo stuff, gettin' close, look all over your town for a cut of beef named "Chuck-Eye"....I like the flavor on certain cuts of Chuck-Eye MUCH better than Rib-Eye....yeah, we're talking grilling out back on the Weber on the patio....Chuck-Eye goes for half of what Rib-Eye does here in this town....look for cuts of Chuck-Eye that have marbling and the meat is in pods, good grief....when you first set the Chuck-Eye on the grill, push from all the sides to make it as tall as possible for thickness....then let the fire rip it 'till it has small black spots, check it close doing this....then flip it over, push it up tall again, and rip that side 'till black spots....then set the steaks off the fire but still inside the grill, and put small strips of beef fat the butcher saved for you over the fire....put top on and vent normally....smoke/bake the steaks 10-15 minutes 'till the middle is warm but still fairly pink....serve on plate with butter pats on top and prepare in advance to go temporarily blind....Weber 22 inch grill....scientifically worked out grid placements and vent openings.....amazing resiliency to sitting outside in the sun, rain, and cold....have had mine around 12 years....every day in the sun....now I'm hungry....all your fault, Jaxvon.....
Chuckeye is indeed a neighborly cousin of ribeye...much cheaper, fattier, and tastier. I prefer it as well....when I can't afford a tenderloin. Incidentally, ignore Weber's insistence that you 'direct' cook the steaks (right over the coals). Just sear it for a minute on each side and then cook indirect. That's how you get those slow cooked, smoky, tender, melt-in-your-mouth steaks that aren't mooing but are thinking about it. ;)

Still hungry, Mule? Take a mess of cut up, small red taters, a small head of broccoli florets, slices from half a red onion, a dozen baby portabella 'shrooms, a sliced yellow squash, and ~5 garlic cloves...put it all in a small aluminum pan or pan made from aluminum foil. Add a few pats of butter, salt, pepper, any other spice you like, and seal it up. Put the bundle on the weber grill as soon as you fire it up. Cover the grill while the coals are heating up to help cook the veggies. Time it so your steaks come out 45 minutes after you put on the veggies....and you have an unbelievably tasty and healthy dinner. A Five Mmmmm dinner, in fact. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis