Audioholics’ Guide in Getting Good Sound From a Desktop Audio System

L

Lawrence Lee

Audiophyte
Mr Gene,

Great article. Big fan of your site. I found the article very helpful to review. You asked in your video, so here’s my setup.

As a Mid-Fi hometheater and "audiophyte", I grew frustrated with the state of computer audio sometime ago. When the COVID-19 lockdown came I knew that I would lose my mind if I didn't improve my desktop audio system. At one a time I eyed the Logitech Z906 system 5.1. With price inflation during the lock down I could not bear having to spend more than MSRP ($399.00) for that “plasticky” system.

Fortunately, in scouring Amazon I was able to find an brand new ELAC Cinema 5 5.1 speaker kit for $139.00. This has diminutive 2 way satellites and a 8” sub, which positioned under my desk in the corner does wonders. After research and testing others I settled on the Yamaha Aventage RX-A780 which I obtained near wholesale and viola!

My symmetric L shaped desk allows me to position the 5.1 speakers symmetrically around my noggin’.

My “computer monitor” is a 43.5” Sony XBR 800D 4k LED TV. I serve my music directly to the receiver DNLA using Mediamonkey from the PC, phone or tablet. My streaming service is Spotify which using Spotify Connect keeps the PC from polluting the musical path. The receiver is tied to my PC thru Toslink for audio and video editing.

I am happy to have a “Hometheater-for-One” for couple hundred bucks more than the Logitech junk. I may update the speakers at some point to but honestly I like the low footprint of the ELAC sats...

20210630_214549-1.jpg
20210630_202513-1.jpg

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I use my Fusion-12s as desktop/near field speakers, FTW. Plenty of bass, gobs of power, and multiple amp/speaker options. Computer is running through an AVR, and I have two subs firing half under the desk if I ever need them. So far, I haven't, with the music I tend to listen to.

First thing I did, was depart the typical desk traditions of having it up against the wall. The front of my desk is 30" from the front wall. My speakers are 32" back from my MLP, 80" apart, and toed in to where I sit. The speakers are about 18" off of the front wall and 3 ft from the sides.

It kicks a$$. I'll never go for a whole room music system again. I also use it for games and movies.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The all out, large speakers come from years of using little speakers that actually 'fit' the desk top. Then I narrowed the desk, and this gave me stand mount options, in exchange for all the junk that usually ends up in every non-computing leftover space on it. This option allowed double size, full range speakers with 8" woofers. Well crap, this scratches the audio itch enough to not bother with the main system, where I sat alone in a chair in the middle of the room, with nothing to look at but annoying blue lights, or a laptop pc, which I dislike for multiple reasons.

Then I was inspired by a friends video game setup. He had multiple places to put his legs up, a comfortable, large computer chair and a side table for drinks etc and some relatively large, JBL studio 530 speakers on stands, about 5 feet apart, pointed right at him. It sounds quite nice. It made me look at the Studio 530 pretty hard, after sitting thru some games and movies with them up close like that. It also started showing some consistencies with other waveguide speakers I own with regard to near field imaging in that role. My LSR 305 work very well in that role as well. Still, I wanted that super, life sized, mid bass, from my mains in there. I could feel that's what I wanted. That was the fine line, between audio illusion from speaker box trickery, and real displacement. What a blast.

I also put the JBL S38 on stands next to the desk. This is another winner, with, and without subs. I could live with this system alone, for everything.

J

JoeThePop

Audiophyte
You can use a stack of books to elevate the speakers. It's not the ideal speaker stand but it is better than nothing. For what it's worth, I think those iso-acoustics desktop speaker stands that are popular are very over-priced. Here are some affordable alternatives that look decent: Technical Pro 8, Universal Desktop, and here is one that looks pretty good for larger speakers: Workstream by Monoprice, although that is meant for video monitors, it looks about perfect for some o the larger loudspeaker monitors. Desktop speaker stands are something that could be done real easy as a DIY project as well.
Exactly my thoughts on the iso-acoustics desktop speaker stands. I looked at those as an option, but $90 for some plastic (PVC?) stands that in my opinion are not exactly attractive is definitely over-priced. Thanks for the other suggestions. I will check them out.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I have had many sets of speakers on my PCs over the last 30 years or so, right now, it's just 2 channel and that's good enough, especially since my right ear is nearly dead at this point to to Eustation tube issues. I used to hit a lot of garage sales, and would buy various speakers when I found them, mostly for use on SW receivers and such, and one was worth buying, but sometimes I would hit the jackpot and find a pair of decent speakers in the boxes in nearly new condition. If I had more room on my table, I would put the pair of Polk LSim7's gathering dust in my closet on, but right now, I have a pair of Yamaha NX-E150's on foam stands and my old cheapo Sony 12" sub (at very low output) running on my old Yamaha RXv-659 receiver. The Yamaha speakers cost a whopping $12 for the pair, and they look brand new, and I like the sound of them pretty well. Yeah, the Polks would be better, but in an apartment, the neighbors might not be impressed with them. I have some other decent speakers too, but all are too big to fit right now, unless I went to a 12" monitor, and a bigger table is not practical in my room. My monitor choice is more important, as I can see better after cataract surgery than I have in a long time.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I found this really useful in tweaking my desktop set up particularly with regard to subwoofer placement. I originally tried placing the sub to the left of the speakers but I found that did not work for nearfield listening. Moving it behind where I sit made a big improvement. I also went with a little larger bookshelf than I used originally and that really helped open up the sound stage.

Last edited:
R

Rosco19

Audiophyte
I've setup a couple nearfield audio systems during the pandemic. The first one was a pair of KEF Q150 bookshelf speakers and a NAD D3045 amp. This was a really great setup that I felt did not lack anything (except for those wanting the deepest of bass).

Since then I ended up buying an ultrawide monitor which made fitting the KEFs on my desk impossible. I've now moved to a powered speaker solution the PSB Alpha AM3 which I am very pleased with. The only drawback here is that they don't reach as low as the KEFs, so I've got a SVS 3000 Micro on the way to address that. Having now tried a powered speaker setup, this is what I would recommend to anyone setting up a desktop nearfield audio system. Far less cable clutter and you get your speakers/amp/dac all in one for a very clean setup.

Other findings of mine are that inexpensive acoustic isolation pads really work wonders. Two reasons for this, 1) you can angle the speaker so that it points towards your ears and 2) eliminates resonance from the desk which makes a small improvement to overall sound quality.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im not listening to this..*plugs my ears*.. I'll never get off or away from the dam computer if its giving me good sound. :p

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Im not listening to this..*plugs my ears*.. I'll never get off or away from the dam computer if its giving me good sound. :p
I'm spending more time at the office alone during this pandemic so I'm free to play whatever tunes I like. I have a set of Cambridge SoundWorks speakers with a little sub since I handle IT procurement ;), but I'm getting tempted to put together a nice audio setup to spice up the afternoons.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm spending more time at the office alone during this pandemic so I'm free to play whatever tunes I like. I have a set of Cambridge SoundWorks speakers with a little sub since I handle IT procurement ;), but I'm getting tempted to put together a nice audio setup to spice up the afternoons.
I had those for a lot of years, but my set was back when creative was putting out speakers.

I have a set up Overnight Sensations along with a cheap, but excellent, DAC and AMP. I think I'm in less than $300 for the whole setup, excluding my sub. That would bring the price to $500. I like it, especially for the money spent.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I had those for a lot of years, but my set was back when creative was putting out speakers.

I have a set up Overnight Sensations along with a cheap, but excellent, DAC and AMP. I think I'm in less than $300 for the whole setup, excluding my sub. That would bring the price to $500. I like it, especially for the money spent.
I've been looking at the Speedster kit like the ones Mr. Boat built so that I can hear the ribbon tweeter. The Overnight Sensations offer good bang for the buck, though, at under $100. I have an old Yamaha integrated amp at home that I want to pair with a Topping DAC. Would probably get a powered DAC at the office to keep it very compact or maybe look for powered speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've been looking at the Speedster kit like the ones Mr. Boat built so that I can hear the ribbon tweeter. The Overnight Sensations offer good bang for the buck, though, at under $100. I have an old Yamaha integrated amp at home that I want to pair with a Topping DAC. Would probably get a powered DAC at the office to keep it very compact or maybe look for powered speakers.
Speedsters are another one that's on my list. Some day...

Benneffect

Benneffect

Audiophyte
Thanks, Shady J! I have a tiny home theater setup that takes the space of a medium/ small work space with a 7.1 setup using a desktop with an audio card. I will be making a few adjustments based on your recommendations.

D

doctors11

Enthusiast
Thanks, Shady J! I have a tiny home theater setup that takes the space of a medium/ small work space with a 7.1 setup using a desktop with an audio card. I will be making a few adjustments based on your recommendations.
I'd love to hear more about this. Speakers, locations, pictures?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Still listening to the Speedsters as bedroom speakers. Currently have the JBL S38 as desktop monitors on stands next to the desk, along with two, rss315 sealed subs. Tweeters at ear level when leaning back in the pc chair, since I give up paying attention to the screen when the music gets good, anyway.

Another freakishly good desktop system is these clones loosely based on the NOLA Brio Trio conjured up from a thread on diyaudio.com. Really clean midrange from this odd design and I also have a pair of 8" Peerless subs to go with these as well. Based on the Peerless TC9FD18 3.5" full range drivers which were quite inexpensive when these were made. Less than $100 all in not including the subs.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My experience: there is such a thing as 'too big' when it comes to desktop audio.

Example: I had a BK P12-300SB-PR subwoofer (big 12" sub with a passive radiator).
It barely added anything because that cone needs some minimum amount of power to get moving, but if I turned it up, it ended up being too loud for me in nearfield. And caused all kinds of room modes (excess bass). I switched to a sealed subwoofer (REL) and the experience was much better.

Another anecdote: I regretted putting my Mission QX2 bookshelves on my desktop. They have a 6.5" woofer ('curvilinear' front cone), which is great for HT but is not suited for low volume listening that goes with a nearfield setup. So ironically I experienced a lack of bass with those at low volume.

I kept thinking I should have gotten the QX1 (or LX1) with the 5" driver. I switched to speakers with 5" woofer and may even go to speakers with 4" woofer soon...
Your sub is powered so you should be able to adjust its output to whatever level you wish. My computer audio system uses a 10" powered sub and I can adjust it to any level I desire.

L

Lawrence Lee

Audiophyte
Hey all,

Upgraded my desktop system.

Fortunately, in scouring Amazon I replaced my ELAC Cinema 5 5.1 speaker kit with Polk Blackstone TL1 Satellites and Center Speakers. I now have a SVS SB-1000 Pro sub under the desk. I'm still rockin' my Yamaha Aventage RX-A780 which I obtained near wholesale and viola!

My symmetric L shaped desk allows me to position the 5.1 speakers symmetrically around my noggin’.

My “computer monitor” is a 43.5” Sony XBR 800D 4k LED TV. I serve my music directly to the receiver DNLA using Mediamonkey from the PC, phone or tablet. My streaming service is Qobuz now which can run bit perfect up to 24bit 192k from my PC thru Toslink. It sounds awesome

I am happy to have a “Hometheater-for-One”.

2023-05-18 23_40_05-20230516_201106.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Most of my friends, two of which weren't even audiophiles beyond a mediocre car system, have since converted over to supersized desktop systems in these last few months. Until seeing and hearing mine, they had just never considered the possibility. One even went as far as to get a pair of the new JBL L100 for the task. It sounds absolutely killer and he added two SVS PB 2000 subs in the room with them.

I am considering building a semi-built-in custom desk at the narrow end of the room where it all is now, with integral equipment accommodations and room for two near field. Also, adjustable for whole room performance on the fly.

Most of us rarely entertain guests other than each other and we all get to see each other's places at their cluttered and lived-in worst between holidays and weekends. My desk, 3-4ft off of the front wall is not out of place in here, or with the company I tend to keep. The sofas on either side just tie it all in somehow, both aesthetically, and acoustically.

J

JYL

Audiophyte
Let’s start this article by stating the obvious: Computer desk settings have become a central part of not only much of many people’s work but also their hobbies. In other words, much of people’s activity happens at a PC desktop. The problem is that this isn’t exactly a setting for great sound, and we don’t typically think of a computer desk as a place for high-fidelity audio enjoyment. This is why headphones are so often the preferred audio device of choice in a desktop setting. The problem is that headphones have some significant shortcomings compared to speaker-based sound systems. The problem with loudspeakers on a desktop is that they are more complex to set up and are compromised by being stuffed into a desktop environment. So are we stuck with headphones and otherwise doomed to spend our time in a place that just can’t have good sound reproduction without them? The answer is a resounding no! Read our guide in getting good sound from a desktop audio system!

READ: Audioholics’ Guide in Getting Good Sound From a Desktop Audio System
Very interesting tips! Regarding the headphone section, most of what was mentionned is correct. I would bring your attention towards relatively new technologies. Spatial audio with head motion detection allows to rotating the stereo image according to the head angle from the neutral reference i.e. looking right in front of you.
On the tactile point of view, Audiohospitality.com developped the most advanced haptic chairs that seamlessly provides the listener with a realistic somatic stimuli that is amazingly closed to what you will feel when attending concerts. This technology is remarkable and HiFi enough to be implemented at home, but in commercial cinema, gaming, audiophile and in some healh therapies as well.
Bests
JYL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis