Audioholic speaker video

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I just watched a video by Gene explaining how to setup powered speakers. But the video was only on if your using your powered speakers as your main bass. I have a 15 sub an was going to buy another sub plus I have small subs in my front towers. How do you set all this up properly right now there unplugged because one person says one thing an another says he is wrong so what is the right way?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think your speakers have LFE style inputs. If they don't, just connect the speakers as you would normal speakers. Set the speakers to small. The built-in subs will still get used, but only in mid bass frequencies. They aren't suitable for deep bass in any case. Run the JBL and Velodyne as you would regular subwoofers.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
The speakers I own have LFE inputs as well. I set them up like they recommend. If you have subs all you want to do is run speaker wire and cross them over at normal frequency like 100-60 hz. You just won't use the built in subs for anything lower than 100-60 hz, that's where your real subwoofers will take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
bruin, I would hook the speakers up as typical speakers, and use the 'hi level in' setting on the speaker panel. In the AVR, set the speakers to 'small'. This lets your dedicated subwoofers handle deep bass. The built-in speaker subwoofers can do bass, but it's better just to offload that to your other subs. The built-in subs aren't that powerful as subs go, so they are better used for mid-bass only.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the help should I set the phase to 180 on the speakers an 0 on the subs?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Set the phase to zero for both. When you run your Marantz' room correction routine, it will put everything in phase for you. Just don't change phase after the equalization routine is run.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis