audio myths answered /debunked ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The purpose of shielding is to contain or reject radio frequencies. It is used commonly between electronics and antennas. Your audio system has no RF going on. In the rare case that you get RF interference, shielding is helpful. Basically, you don't need it.

Biamplification is not a gimmick. It is used often in professional sound reinforcement applications. It doesn't have much if any application in home audio. In order to use it in your system you would need to disconnect the crossover network in your speakers, set up an external active crossover designed for the purpose and use separate amplifiers for each driver. The idea of using it the way adiophiles use it is bsically a gimmick.
So shielded wire if found cheaper Then regular Is worth buying?
Biamplification active works it’s the passive one that does nothing.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
There is very little shielded cable available that is suitable for speaker cable or AC power cord.
And none of it is budget.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
So shielded wire if found cheaper Then regular Is worth buying?
Biamplification active works it’s the passive one that does nothing.
There is no downside to using shielded cable in an audio system. It just doesn't do anything meaningful except in rare circumstances. Yes. The drivers must be separated from one another to biamplify. Otherwise it is just powered biwiring.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There is no downside to using shielded cable in an audio system. It just doesn't do anything meaningful except in rare circumstances. Yes. The drivers must be separated from one another to biamplify. Otherwise it is just powered biwiring.
Amazon basics is shielded but I can’t tell if it’s copper or ccd, Amazon Basics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 100 Feet https://a.co/d/a4GIaOU

14 awg is cheaper then 12 but is there a noticeable difference?

The cheapest speaker wire is copper clad aluminum is that not very good?
GearIT 12/2 Speaker Wire (100 Feet) 12 Gauge (Copper Clad Aluminum) - Outdoor Direct Burial in Ground/in Wall / CL3 CL2 Rated / 2 Conductors - CCA, Black 100ft https://a.co/d/d8FGm0v

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The Amazon basics link is NOT shielded.

CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) is not as bad in theory as some say. But the real world low budget CCA cables are often of undersized low quality aluminum and copper.

If you use CCA it needs to be one step larger.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The Amazon basics link is NOT shielded.

CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) is not as bad in theory as some say. But the real world low budget CCA cables are often of undersized low quality aluminum and copper.

If you use CCA it needs to be one step larger.
amazon is expensive for cable !??
So you’re best off just paying more for oxygen free copper coil ?
This one is super cheap but 12awg cca is like 14 awg regular cables .

or regular copper 100 foot for $50-70

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
  • let Towers vs bookshelves debate commence ???

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
  • let Towers vs bookshelves debate commence ???
No debate. Towers rule.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No debate. Towers rule.
I share the same opinion as you as I run phantom with towers right now until I can get a tv stand with room for a center .
just wait I’m sure some waf lover will come here to defend his choice of bookshelves.
Funny I was at a rental house on vacation and their front bookshelves are mounted near the ceiling lol 5.1 and surrounds are so far back they have no effects to be heard . It sound’s better then it looks but I fear they got the center turned down too low if it’s even turned on. Sounds like 2 ch to me .
71E30E17-209C-44A7-8567-CD434DC0F887.jpeg
9CA491A6-5486-4DBA-98B9-43D3A3D7641A.jpeg
F930B6C8-CB2F-4CD2-96E8-70F110D7B7E7.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve never actually compared my towers to bookshelves head to head.
How much does the extra box volume and drivers add to the soundstage ?? Comparison of same tier bookshelf’s as towers ??
Do you have to exceed a certain volume to benefit from towers ?

Sent from my iPhone using

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Now I keep seeing the myth 3 subs is bad popping up?
What’s your opinions on this ??
False or true ??
None of the items on the list are myths. The items on the list all perform real tasks. The question is do they perform their tasks better or correctly.
Real audiophile myths are like:
CD's and green pens
Cable lifters
magic grounding boxes
and

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Now I keep seeing the myth 3 subs is bad popping up?
What’s your opinions on this ??
False or true ??
Got a link? Have any thoughts on three subs?
I use three subs…

This is before house curve…

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Got a link? Have any thoughts on three subs?
I use three subs…

This is before house curve…
You already posted on this one , I’ve seen it on avs also this myth is on multiple sites.
People say 1-2-4 subs is fine but 3 isn’t ?
This guy says 3 is considered bad but he had no links to who is actually saying this so it’s like a rumor or hearsay at this point . o_O
I’ll add more info if I get a response to is this a legit common myth or something??we’res the proof haah I asked .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You already posted on this one , I’ve seen it on avs also this myth is on multiple sites.
People say 1-2-4 subs is fine but 3 isn’t ?
This guy says 3 is considered bad but he had no links to who is actually saying this so it’s like a rumor or hearsay at this point . o_O
I’ll add more info if I get a response to is this a legit common myth or something??we’res the proof haah I asked .
Well I just skimmed that and saw more guys using/recommending 3 subs. One even returned his fourth, and another said the REW simulator showed three was better.
Idk. People are Fukkin dumm.
Edit:
Actually after a little more reading, I think you should read it it again noob. The guy reviving the didn’t even say anything against three subs. Mostly was talking about mixing subs…

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The number of sub-woofers is not in the area of audiophiles myths and mis-understandings.
It's about different viewpoints.
a] some are well thought out engineering viewpoints.
b] others are just typical audiophile ramblings.
c] and others are just 'self fulfilling expectations'.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The number of sub-woofers is not in the area of audiophiles myths and mis-understandings.
It's about different viewpoints.
a] some are well thought out engineering viewpoints.
b] others are just typical audiophile ramblings.
c] and others are just 'self fulfilling expectations'.
Yeah I find it strange , it’s practically a myth but hasn’t gained A big enough following yet?
audiophiles who are thinking to hard ?
Why on earth is 3 subs bad ? :D o_O

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Since much of this is covered in various threads and articles maybe you could put together a list of links to such for each subject....you've certainly been around long enough by now to be able to either answer them yourself or find the answers with some searching....
Hdmi 4k vs regular do you need to buy special 4k cables?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That bottom link is from 2016....and is ridiculous because of that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis