Audio Lag with Yamaha Receiver

K

Katifer

Audiophyte
Hello all! I am relatively new to the surround sound life and I have a nagging problem that I feel is unacceptable. I have audio lag that cannot be ignored. I recently bought a V685 Yamaha Receiver to go with existing Sony speakers in the front and center. I also bought Music Cast speakers for the rear surround. The TV is a 65" Vizio E Series. I do not have cable TV, but I have a PS4, XBox One X and Nintendo Switch hooked up. I also use bunny ears for air channels. I have Googled the living hell out of this problem and have found nothing that's helped. I currently run Audio from the TV to the Receiver, and HDMIs to all gaming systems. There is audio lag in all HDMI inputs, and with the air channels, it is un-watchable it is so bad. I have adjusted the Lip Sync feature on the TV, it just takes it from bad to worse. I have changed the Digital audio out on the TV from PCM to Bitstream to Dolby (I think I said that right?). I messed with the Analog audio out. I have switched the cables, using HDMI from TV to receiver instead. I have used the Yamaha app to change the DSP and adjust the size of the room and all that. Keep in mind that this similar setup was used with an old Yamaha Receiver with NO audio lag, so it HAS to be the receiver. The lag is bad with video games and Blu-Rays, and much worse when watching streamed content such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

I was born with some hearing loss, so I have learned to read lips my entire life. When the audio doesnt match the lips, it is awful and I cannot ignore it. What am I missing? My knowledge of this is quite cursory, so please try to explain in Layman's terms.

Thanks in advance!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think that all hdmi sources going thru the avr and using the avr's lip sync/delay function would yield best results. Not a gamer myself and not an issue in any of my setups....but I don't route hdmi sources thru the tvs....

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Did you ever figure out this issue?

You shouldn't be having audio lag. Vizio is a Chinese brand, and who knows what's going on there. Chinese products always have some weird quirk to them.
  1. Is your receiver firmware up-to-date?
  2. Is your TV lagging behind the audio? If so, it could be TV processing causing the issue.
  3. If the audio is lagging, are you using ARC or eARC? It's possible the signal is being modified before being sent back. You said you swapped the cables directly to the receiver, but that doesn't mean anything. If you have ARC or eARC enabled from the TV, it's possible your input might still be set to the TV's audio return channel.
  4. You mentioned having multicast rear speakers. Are they hooked up to WiFi or something? Is the issue only with your fronts and center or with the rears?
  5. Lastly, make sure you haven't altered the receivers' lipsync setting like @loveinthehd said. That's probably the simplest place to look.

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
Hello all! I am relatively new to the surround sound life and I have a nagging problem that I feel is unacceptable. I have audio lag that cannot be ignored. I recently bought a V685 Yamaha Receiver to go with existing Sony speakers in the front and center. I also bought Music Cast speakers for the rear surround. The TV is a 65" Vizio E Series. I do not have cable TV, but I have a PS4, XBox One X and Nintendo Switch hooked up. I also use bunny ears for air channels. I have Googled the living hell out of this problem and have found nothing that's helped. I currently run Audio from the TV to the Receiver, and HDMIs to all gaming systems. There is audio lag in all HDMI inputs, and with the air channels, it is un-watchable it is so bad. I have adjusted the Lip Sync feature on the TV, it just takes it from bad to worse. I have changed the Digital audio out on the TV from PCM to Bitstream to Dolby (I think I said that right?). I messed with the Analog audio out. I have switched the cables, using HDMI from TV to receiver instead. if you are looking for the Chalets for rent in Lebanon. please check out the link I have used the Yamaha app to change the DSP and adjust the size of the room and all that. Keep in mind that this similar setup was used with an old Yamaha Receiver with NO audio lag, so it HAS to be the receiver. The lag is bad with video games and Blu-Rays, and much worse when watching streamed content such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

I was born with some hearing loss, so I have learned to read lips my entire life. When the audio doesnt match the lips, it is awful and I cannot ignore it. What am I missing? My knowledge of this is quite cursory, so please try to explain in Layman's terms.

Thanks in advance!
Based on what you have described, it is possible that the issue may be related to the settings on your Yamaha Receiver. Some potential solutions to try include:

1. Check the audio settings on your gaming systems to ensure that they are outputting the correct format (e.g. Dolby Digital, DTS). Some systems may default to a format that is not supported by your receiver, which could cause audio lag.
  2. Adjust the audio delay settings on your receiver. Most receivers have a feature called "Audio Delay" or "Lip Sync" that allows you to adjust the audio delay to match the video. You may need to experiment with different settings to find the optimal delay for your setup.
  3. Make sure that your receiver is not set to "Upscale" or "Enhance" the audio. Some receivers have features that attempt to improve the audio quality, but these can sometimes cause audio lag or other issues.
  4. Check the audio settings on your TV to ensure that they are compatible with your receiver. For example, some TVs may only support PCM audio, while your receiver may require a different format.
  5. Try connecting your gaming systems directly to the receiver, rather than through the TV. This can help to eliminate any potential issues with the TV's audio output.
Hopefully one of these solutions will help to resolve the audio lag issue you are experiencing. If not, it may be worth consulting with a professional audio technician or contacting the manufacturer for further support.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis