"Audio Flag" Proposal Protested by CEA's Shapiro

The so-called audio flag could diminish innovation and undermine the right of Americans to enjoy products for noncommercial purposes within their private homes, said Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) President and CEO Gary Shapiro today. Shapiro made his comments as he testified before a Senate Commerce Committee hearing on the broadcast and audio flags.
<BLOCKQUOTE>
"Instead of merely replicating the broadcast flag, RIAA apparently wants to severely limit consumer use of HD Radio and satellite radio services and new products coming to market," said Shapiro. "More, they appear to want to stop Americans from recording free over-the-air radio in their private homes for later enjoyment, no matter what device they want to use to hear lawfully acquired music.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Shapiro concluded by saying "We respectfully urge you to reject the RIAA's efforts to vilify consumers and cajole this Committee into repealing basic consumer rights established by the Audio Home Recording Act." This is my kind of guy.

[Read More]

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Shapiro concluded by saying "We respectfully urge you to reject the RIAA's efforts to vilify consumers and cajole this Committee into repealing basic consumer rights established by the Audio Home Recording Act." This is my kind of guy.
Is that an accurate quote? He should have said:

We respectfully urge you to reject the RIAA's efforts to vilify consumers and cajole this Committee into upholding basic consumer rights established by the Audio Home Recording Act.

'Repealing' basic consumer rights is exactly what they want to do and what Shapiro is fighting against (at least per that quote).

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Kudos to him for being the consumer's voice. I think the sentence as he put it is correct.

It sure seems like the RIAA is trying to either drive all consumers away, or turn every one of us into pirates. Somebody needs to catch a clue real quick; the way things are going I have zero interest in any of the upcoming changes to media & plan to specifically NOT purchase any of the new goodies for a while.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Strangely enough, the very people behind bringing the music that gives me so much joy, make me want to become amish....

It's not the RIAA, it's the labels they represent...if the labels did not like those representing them, they would have been ousted a while ago. Pretty much I think the label execs have zero computer knowledge as far as how they actually function. If that is true, then at least there is a solid reason for all this DRM that doesn't protect anything, but sure as heck breaks a lot of stuff on the end-user's machine.

Either way, I am on the verge of a full Boycott of all the major labels. As much as I love some of the bands they have signed under them, I just can't sleep well knowing my money is going towards lobbying attempts for legislation like this.

Music should be about emotion, not politics :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis