Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait you can enhance details OR have more controlled bass? If they were really magic they'd do both!
That's what was going through my head. Wouldn't more controlled bass enhance details..?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg it gets even worse. This is from a craigslist ad.

00O0O_fj4NHarSP46z_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

Claims like this make me wanna slap a bitch. Seriously. "Burn in"?? More like, "Just keep listening and waiting for the REAL difference to kick in. At least until the return window passes."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems the whole cabling thing is just repeating the lies so often people start interpreting that as "truth". Works in politics and marketing....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Its funny... in a manner of speaking... that the likes of Roger Russell, with all of his experience and status with McIntosh, should be disregarded so blatantly by so many. (Obviously fact doesn't sell sh!tty cables.)
In fact, OP never even commented on the link I posted for them.
*sighs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@audiobuff74
Following is a link to a very excellent article written by Roger Russell, former Director of Acoustic Research at McIntosh Labs. I hope you will take the time to read it, please.
Your link sent me down a wonderful rabbit hole that led me to James Randi calling out audiophools and offering a MILLION DOLLARS through his foundation to the phool who could pick a difference between cables in a controlled DBT! Funny how NO ONE TOOK HIM UP ON IT!

As a skeptic James is kind of an idol to me and has done a lot of great work teaching layfolk like myself about critical thinking, skepticism and the scientific method. If you had an outlandish claim, he would design a way to test it. He's debunked many charlatans. That was really cool.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your link sent me down a wonderful rabbit hole that led me to James Randi calling out audiophools and offering a MILLION DOLLARS through his foundation to the phool who could pick a difference between cables in a controlled DBT! Funny how NO ONE TOOK HIM UP ON IT!

As a skeptic James is kind of an idol to me and has done a lot of great work teaching layfolk like myself about critical thinking, skepticism and the scientific method. If you had an outlandish claim, he would design a way to test it. He's debunked many charlatans. That was really cool.

That was your first time with that site as well as the Randi connection? Arstechnica has also tried some cable "hearing" tests IIRC.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That was your first time with that site as well as the Randi connection? Arstechnica has also tried some cable "hearing" tests IIRC.
Yeah, I've clicked on the site before, but honestly never really read through it figuring it pretty much already aligns with my thinking. I'd also read references to Randi issuing a challenge, but I'd never seen an actual link or article. Even from the site it took me 3 or 4 clicks to find the James Randi article. From there it looks like I can find a couple more too. I plan to dig into those also.

K

Kevi9590

Enthusiast
If you gotta even consider your bank account or value of a cable when you are buying it, it means you're paying too much.

The ONLY exception is making sure your hdmi cables are 2.1, and ethernet cat cables are correct standard. The rest is electronic principles based, and shouldnt be proprietary mark-up technology from any company.

If a company is ever trying to sell you their cables based on a “ground breaking performance enhancing tech”, run!

R

Ruby saltire

Audiophyte
Greetings gentleman.

I have replaced my entire setup with Audio Envy cables and the sound is just what my ears needed.

A

audiobuff74

Audiophyte
I'm convinced that none of you actually own audiophile quality speakers

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A

audiobuff74

Audiophyte
You seem to be happy with Amazon Chinese cables and think that it's good sounding

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You seem to be happy with Amazon Chinese cables and think that it's good sounding

When you're finished with watching and reading up on the science there's more where that came from. If you have any questions feel free to post 'em up here. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just curious to know what is your definition of "Audiophile Quality Speakers."
Ryan! Haven't seen you around as much lately since your trip.

I too, am curious what the bar is for "audiophile quality" speakers. Not that it matters because cognitive bias and placebo are the most likely reason...

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
:D
I'm convinced that none of you actually own audiophile quality speakers

I need to finish paying off my “Audiophile “ quality cables before I can afford to purchase my “Audiophile” quality speakers. Just 36 more low interest payments left.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis