remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Does the RCA input on a receiver recognize audio at 96khz?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I too used to obsess over getting my total value from hi-res frequencies and sampling rates. But as experience and knowledge sunk in, I realized the end electronic resulting sound would certainly be limited by the speakers or headphones maximum. Both are decidedly below 30Khz. And then came human ears which top out at 22Khz. So I am more relaxed and accepting now.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
RCA are typically analogue inputs, so your DAC does the digital to analogue processing and the analogue outs on the DAC connect to RCA inputs. That would be a matter of whether the DAC supports 96kHz or not. The exception would be SPDIF which is a digital connection that can use RCA or BNC connectors.

As to 96kHz support, that is entirely dependent on the receiver's specifications and can vary. Newer equipment should support 96kHz though. Check the receiver's manual for supported formats.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Audio at 96 KHz is just audiophool overkill. No human can hear the difference between a sampling rate of a well recorded 44.1 KHz file and that of a 96 KHz recording. The sampling frequency which was chosen by the Sony/Philips joint venture people is more than double the human hearing frequency limit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was leaning towards the coax digital thing....and that should handle 96kHz signals generally I'd think...altho some avrs will just do a conversion for processing anyways....just not a particular problem generally.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is your second post about this, and I told you going to 96K is waste of bandwidth. I will go further and tell you it is wanton waste of bandwidth.

Let us go into the history of digital audio.

At the beginning one of the great pioneers was Harry Nyguist. He determined the sample rate needed to reach the limits of human hearing. It is accepted that this is 20 KHz, although as a retired medic I can tell you that many can never hear above 15K even as children. There is progressive HF loss with age, and by 60 or so if you can hear anything over 12 K you are lucky and unusual.

Now Harry Nyquist determined that sample rate of 40 KHz was required to reach the maximal limit of human hearing. So to give a margin 44.1 KHz was selected for the CD. With a 16 bit rate it gives you a dynamic range of 96 db. which is adequate for 99% of program. It is also at or exceeds the signal to noise ration of most reproducing systems, when you take the whole chain into account. If you increase the bit rate to 24 then you get a dynamic range of 144db. That exceeds the S/N of any reproducing chain I am aware of.

So why does 96 K exist. The reason is in mastering it could happen, but rarely does, that you need to slow the program down. At 96K if you halve the speed you still have 48K.

So back at the dawn of digital audio the 16 bit 44.1 was a perfectly rational choice and still is. There are few works, and in fact very few that would require a dynamic range beyond 16/44.1 and none that require anything above 24/48. Only classical works with huge forces require a dynamic range above 96 db. That is why the CD has been so successful.

We actually need to fight against this 96K nonsense, as it potentially deprives other users. It is akin to delivering water to some customers and having them pour half their supply on the ground. So rather then promote 96K, the ethical stance is actually to campaign against it.

So I hope this is your last post about this nonsense.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As highfigh said, need more specifics because it depends. There are devices (e.g. dac) that can do 24bit/192 kHz via coax for 2 channel stereo.

To be fair, the OP did not ask if 96 kHz sampling rate is needed, the question he asked is just what he asked in his post; and that is tough to answer without more specifics.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As highfigh said, need more specifics because it depends. There are devices (e.g. dac) that can do 24bit/192 kHz via coax for 2 channel stereo.

To be fair, the OP did not ask if 96 kHz sampling rate is needed, the question he asked is just what he asked in his post; and that is tough to answer without more specifics.
This chap is obsessed with this nonsense. He has just started his third post about it!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This chap is obsessed with this nonsense. He has just started his third post about it!
Thank, didn't know that until now. His newest post does provide more specifics, enough to get a meaningful response.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis