Audio Advice from My AH Peeps!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Our friend Matthew Poes did a review of the Yamaha R-N803 here for AV Nirvana. I have heard in in action, seems like a solid 2-channel receiver. As for the speakers, I am sure they all sound fine, and the truth is that they are all probably linear enough on and off axis that you can EQ them to taste if you have a preferred tonal balance.
Shady - the Yammy is my first choice and probably the direction I'll go. I did not see Matthew's review - thanks, I'll check it out! I am sure the Pioneer would perform well as, um, well - I just wanted to get someone's take on it in lieu of the R-N803.

Yeah, any of the speakers I mentioned or were suggested to me would be very nice. It all comes down to choice and there are too many to choose from! I am sure I will be happy (for the moment) with whatever I select, but research/shopping is half the fun!

PS - I forgot to add the Martin Logan 35XTi based on your review!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady - the Yammy is my first choice and probably the direction I'll go. I did not see Matthew's review - thanks, I'll check it out! I am sure the Pioneer would perform well as, um, well - I just wanted to get someone's take on it in lieu of the R-N803.

Yeah, any of the speakers I mentioned or were suggested to me would be very nice. It all comes down to choice and there are too many to choose from! I am sure I will be happy (for the moment) with whatever I select, but research/shopping is half the fun!

PS - I forgot to add the Martin Logan 35XTi based on your review!
The Motion 35XTi is probably not quite as neutral as these others, but it may have a dynamic range advantage over them. However, it still has good correlation from on-axis to off-axis response, so it can be reliably EQ'd to however you want it to sound.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Our friend Matthew Poes did a review of the Yamaha R-N803 here for AV Nirvana. I have heard in in action, seems like a solid 2-channel receiver. As for the speakers, I am sure they all sound fine, and the truth is that they are all probably linear enough on and off axis that you can EQ them to taste if you have a preferred tonal balance.
@shadyJ Welp, the only reason I was interested in the R-N803 was the YPAO implementation (thought it would be fun to play around with it) and Matthew's review kind of shuts that idea down. I've heard ARC in a 2 channel setting and really liked what it can do (ARC infused products are kind of our of my reach ATM). If the 2 channel version of YAPO sucks is not very good, there is no real reason to get the Yamaha. I have no need for the other features (aside from a radio tuner) because of my Node 2i. Do you think I may be better served by MCACC in the Pioneer unit I am looking at? Truth be told, I am satisfied with the how my sub integrates with my system/room - I was just looking to perhaps get that last iota of performance (and, again, have fun). It would also be nice to be able to adjust and/or disengage the sub from my listening position...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
MCACC is not very good, neither is YPAO. I have had mixed results with ARC. It's no substitute for the kind of response you can get with a multi-sub system. To be honest, the only auto EQing system I would ever bother with is Direc. Audyssey might be OK-ish if you can limit its EQ to just low frequencies, but if you can't, its not worth using. EQing is mostly only good for getting the tonal balance that you want, not trying to address acoustics issues, except for lower frequencies, kinda.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
MCACC is not very good, neither is YPAO. I have had mixed results with ARC. It's no substitute for the kind of response you can get with a multi-sub system. To be honest, the only auto EQing system I would ever bother with is Direc. Audyssey might be OK-ish if you can limit its EQ to just low frequencies, but if you can't, its not worth using. EQing is mostly only good for getting the tonal balance that you want, not trying to address acoustics issues, except for lower frequencies, kinda.
Understood - thank you for the insight! The impetus behind this was a listening session at a local Anthem dealer. I listened to the KEF R11, Reference 1 and Blade II (no subwoofers with any of the speakers) on an STR integrated with and without ARC engaged. The result was obvious and, for demo purposes (not the same with living with it, I understand) I preferred ARC on. I was hoping to be able to do something similar at a lower price point via YPAO or MCACC. Sometimes one gets what one pays for I guess... ;)

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Hi! I have not heard either of those Dynaudio lines as the only current dealer in the DFW (with proper listening rooms) is one of those appointment only, very snooty establishments. The proprietor (this was at least 20 years ago) tried to convince me that the "magic" cloth he was using to wipe down CDs improved the sound! :rolleyes: I did get to hear a pair of Special 40s at another dealer event last spring. I really liked them (especially in red!) but the choice of amplifier, an Octave Audio V 80 SE, was a very poor one. Besides, they are a bit out of my price range. I'll try to check out the Excite and/or Evoke as they are really good looking - especially in white.

I perused the Salk site recently and I like what they do with veneers (the curly maple/electric blue is awesome) but they are priced out of my immediate range. Maybe in the future...

Yes - the Cambridge Audio CX line is very nice looking! The previous models are priced to move as well.
the SongSurround II’s are about $1500/pair (Obv depends on finish), which is less than your stated budget. If you’re looking for a phenomenal speaker that makes a visual statement, Salk is impossible to beat.

As for the Dyn’s, they make a very neutral/flat response speaker. Not being able to try them out stinks - maybe the local dealer could connect you with a former customer who would be willing to let you have a listen? I own the Excite 14’s and absolutely love them

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So what are decisions thus far? Knowing you like the same headphones SQ as me. I'm curious. Hurry up. :p

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The Pioneer VSX-LX503
1575916689578.png

And the Focal Chora 806
1575916759451.png

The reason I am going with the Pioneer is, as I stated earlier, that it matches my UDP-LX500 perfectly. I also has decent (A/B not D!) power and provides the ability to grow and change in the future. One of the things (well the only thing) I did not like about my Yamaha A-S801 was that one was stuck with what it was - no room for expansion, etc. Hopefully, the Pioneer will sound great, especially the preamp section for amp play later on. I really am not interested in HT, but adding a center channel... ;)

I really, really looked hard at the Canton Ventos (and I appreciate your feedback @afterlife2 and @KEW !) but decided to ease up on my budget at this point. Even though they are a brand new product, I am able to purchase the Focals at 66% of MSRP, so there is that. Plus, they look so freaking awesome! Like mini Kantas!
1575917263147.png

By throttling back on my budget, if something does not quite gel, it will be easier for me to explore different options without taking a huge hit to my wallet. Maybe I can save enough to get said Kantas in the future (they really do sound fantastic - better than they look).

When everything gets in (if I do not change my first!) I will be sure to post listening impressions and pretty pictures!

My thanks to everyone on AH who participated in this latest episode of...

The Schizophrenic AudiophileTM

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That yellow mustard is stunning! Congrats I've always read those are great speakers. We are all schizo. Just let know when the setup is ready and I'll bring over the brews. Bahaha.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is two votes for the Cantons! I did not realize they incorporated the ceramic tweeter into the Chrono line. This make the price of admission for that tech much lower! Hmm...
I really like the way the Cantons look and I want to hear them. Those or the Sierra 2EX because ribbon tweeter and I really want to hear a good ribbon tweeter!

My opinions are on looks alone tho, I haven't heard any of them, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those or the Sierra 2EX because ribbon tweeter and I really want to hear a good ribbon tweeter!
Raals are special! ;) Once you get that in your ear... it's nothing but Raals or Be Tweets at $500 a pop! :oops:o_Oo_O

But seriously... Don't save that for the bucket list. ;) As soon as Dennis gets the Box guy in order... get yourself some BMRs. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Raals are special! ;) Once you get that in your ear... it's nothing but Raals or Be Tweets at $500 a pop! :oops:o_Oo_O

But seriously... Don't save that for the bucket list. ;) As soon as Dennis gets the Box guy in order... get yourself some BMRs. ;)
That is really tempting. I know they're very special speakers. I would definitely want to do it right.

Any word on that flat pack? I wonder how much it would be? I'll bet not too much less than what he was selling the finished speakers for. It's my understanding that he barely made profit on those. If any.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That must frustrating. o_O :eek: :cool: can't wait to see that mustard!
Indeed, but I try to busy myself with other things...

Ah, the yellow - that is the Kanta No.1. I can't afford that - yet. Until then, I am getting the Chora 806 to tide me over:
1576260705657.png

We'll see how they perform at (roughly) 1/6 the price!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those look good in blue. Did you get the stands too? How much are the mustard?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Those look good in blue. Did you get the stands too? How much are the mustard?
Yes, I got the stands! Focal designed this new line to be set up swept back for "time alignment" so I guess their dedicated stands are necessary... We'll see. :)

The Kantas (in yellow!) are $6K. A little rich for my blood - at the moment.

Speaking of Focal - have you tried any of their headphones? When I got back into my HP addiction, one of my first purchases was their Spirit 1. I really, really liked they ways they sounded, but they were a bit too small for me and I passed them on to my daughter (she really likes them too). Since then I went in a different direction, but this may spur me on to get one (or two!) of their current offerings.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nope never tried a focal anything. Maybe one day I'll try their headphones. I'm on a budget, but maybe later on if I see a sale.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis