Atmos ceiling speakers

• Thread starter William Lemmerhirt
  • Start date
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I need to pick your brains a little bit. Sometime after we begin the new year, I will be updating my system for Atmos playback. I’ve already replaced my beloved side surrounds (jbl S38ii) with JBL studio 2 iw55 https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO2+55IW.html?dwvar_STUDIO2 55IW_color=Black#start=1. I chose them for a number of reasons, but one big one is, I don’t know when I’ll be able to upgrade the LCR,(also the older studioII line) and the new surrounds sound very similar. My wife hates them, (huge) but I won’t budge, and the only way they’re leaving is if I replace them with something with a beautiful veneer or very, very expensive in walls. My ceiling is at a 10deg angle, and the studio 2’s that would match my new surrounds do not come in an angled version. I’ve looked at different angled options such as speaker crafts aim series, in wall tech, monoprice, as well as much more expensive options. I’m not really a believer in aimable tweeters, and I think they might create diffraction and phase issues. Finding the dispersion spec for IC speakers is almost impossible.

as you can see from the pictures putting speakers in the ceiling with standard driver orientation might cause a problem with dispersion. That’s why I’m looking at something like this. https://www.inwallstore.com/Angled_Ceiling_Speakers_Kevlar_Titanium_Inwalltech_p/hd650_1a.htm then I can hopefully keep them pointed down where they should be instead of at an angle. Do any of you guys have experience with in wall tech speakers, or have any suggestions? Do I even need to worry about dispersion if the speakers are 90deg(45 from axis). The avr will likely be a Denon x4300 and hopefully be able to sort out most timber issues. Speaker heights will be 9’-6” on the left and 11’ on the right. At those distances, I’m also wondering about stepping up to an 8” version vs a 6”. I’m open to hear anything. This will be 7.3.4

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The biggest problem I see is that mounting them flush in the ceiling will place the left speaker firing somewhat towards the mlp, and the right into the right side of the room where there is no seating. What I would do is attach bookshelves with an omnimount so they can be angled towards the couch. They will be at different distance but that’s easily fixed with time delay and level adjustment. The studios should do fairly well due to the waveguide. I have no idea what the dispersion pattern is though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks yep. Bookshelf speakers are a nonstarter. I’m not afraid to push the WAF but part of my negotiation was ok, I will remove my surrounds(wife hates those too), but I’m adding 4 more. Anyways, the point you brought up is the same one I had. That’s why I’m looking at IC’s with an angled driver inside. Like these.
that way they can flush mount and follow the ceiling, but still point down. I could also slightly rotate them to provide a Little “toe” if necessary but I think my ceiling height is high enough that I won’t need to worry about that.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I would be interested to see if Audyssey can correct the off axis roll of of a flush mounted speaker. Since the Jbl utilizes waveguides, I’m going to be that uniform directivity would prevent a roll off that increases with frequency. Again, no idea what the dispersion pattern is, but an example 90 degree horizontal pattern, with the speaker 45 degrees off axis as you previously mentioned, would be -6dB across the waveguides directivity control pass band. Not difficult to correct with eq.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree Audyssey should be able to iron out the EQ part, levels, and distances etc. the thing I’m more concerned with is the angle of the ceiling and some weird lopsided imaging anomalies. IME speaker angles have always been important in playback. I just sent an email to JBL. I’ve seen some of their responses to other customers. I’m hoping for a more technical answer than “oh yes, jbl M2 inspired waveguide should provide wonderful experience”lol. Maybe I’m splitting hairs too many ways.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Definitely agree there. I’m so OCD about proper aiming that I actually bought an iPhone app that uses the compass to precisely toe in speakers lol

What I’d do to see if Audyssey can actually correct the problem is place one of your front speakers facing off axis and run a calibration to see whether or not it might work.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Dave, thanks for the link. I thought this thread was doa, lol. I have looked at the ML’s and pretty much every manufacturer I can find. Believe it or not, I am happy to say I will be buying 4 RSL C34e’s. After many correspondences with jbl and others, RSL has won my vote. I’m excited.

D

Dave Williams

Audiophyte
Hey Dave, thanks for the link. I thought this thread was doa, lol. I have looked at the ML’s and pretty much every manufacturer I can find. Believe it or not, I am happy to say I will be buying 4 RSL C34e’s. After many correspondences with jbl and others, RSL has won my vote. I’m excited.
Oh cool, I just stumbled across the C43e the other day and have added them to the list of considerations due to the price. I have an all Martin Logan ESL setup but with Atmos as a “filler” of sound I am having a hard time justifying the price of the ML. I have not done much research on the c43 yet though. I have some cheap builder grade atmos speakers in place now that need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh cool, I just stumbled across the C43e the other day and have added them to the list of considerations due to the price. I have an all Martin Logan ESL setup but with Atmos as a “filler” of sound I am having a hard time justifying the price of the ML. I have not done much research on the c43 yet though. I have some cheap builder grade atmos speakers in place now that need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, atmos is definitely more than “filler” sound but the C34e’s are apparently very neutral and have very wide dispersion so I believe they’d work great in just about any system. Here’s a little preview from AH.
http://www.audioholics.com/outdoor-speaker-reviews/rsl-c34e-in-ceiling-speaker-preview
Fwiw, I really looked hard at the ML’s. I liked them a lot.

D

Dave Williams

Audiophyte

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis