Atmos Ceiling Speaker - Questions

C

Chromakey

Audiophyte
Good Day:

I recently upgraded my LCR speakers to the KEF R11's and R2c. My current AV Receiver is the Yamaha RX-A2070. It can support unto 5.1.4. I am still using my older Paradigm subwoofer but I am looking at installing two pair of of atmos in-ceiling speakers and a matching pair for the rear surrounds.

I have a few design installation issues. I have a cathedral ceiling. It is fully insulated (bat insulation), no access from above and the ceiling angle is approximately 35 degrees from the horizontal.

I am looking at the KEF Ci200RR-THX speakers. They apparently have a wide dispersion angle that would work with the angled ceiling.

The questions I have:

1. With the difference in height between the left and right atmos speakers, I can adjust the delay and level of the speaker. Even with this could some provide what my expectations should be compared to an ideal setup/installation? I would like to know if it will perform well.

2. Does anyone have experience creating the recommended cabinet volume for the speakers. The recommendation is from 0.35 to 0.71 cubic feet. I am not sure how I would create a sealed space from accessing the speaker opening only.

3. Is there a recommendation for speaker selection other than the KEF ones I mentioned?

Thanks for your help,

Michael

IMG_4136.jpg
IMG_4135.jpg

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
You have a very challenging room acoustically for any Atmos install.
If there is another more conventional space for the HT, I would strongly consider it

If not, I would NOT install in-ceiling speakers as a first step in that room.
Instead, I recommend starting with on ceiling speakers in an aimable bracket. Outdoor designs may work the best for this.

- If the ceiling geometry does NOT support a good outcome you only have a few small screw holes to repair.
- If it does sound good, you then have the option to replace with in ceiling speakers with a proper tweeter angle or aimable tweeters if you want.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
With that kind of ceiling I’ve always thought something like these would be a good option.

I think one problem with your space is the ceiling looks to be too high to install speakers that would meet the correct elevation angles, and more so the azimuth angles. You absolutely could install speakers and just get what you can get. But I think the pendant speakers hanging at the right heights are worth considering.
Also. Do you have any pics of the back of the room. Curious about where the surrounds are at. It looks like I can see one that’s just above the height of the window on the right side. That’s also too high and doesn’t offer enough ventricle separation between the ear and height layers. That’s a really tough room, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

C

Chromakey

Audiophyte
Good Day:

Thanks for all the advice regarding the speakers.

I might try a mock-up before trying in-ceiling speakers.

I only have one pair of rear surrounds. They are a bit too high. If I was going to add the Atmos speakers I was going to get matching rears. I would lower them to just above the light switch level.

My amp only does 9 channels so with two pair of height speakers I can only do 1 pair of rear surrounds.

Does anyone have experience with Paradigm in-ceiling CI Elite E80-A speakers? They are angled internally at 30 degrees. I think it would solve the angle issue with the ceiling not the height difference from right to left.

I don't know how they would match with my KEF R11's.

My 5.1 systems sounds pretty good. It will be better if I lower the rear surrounds.

I think XEagleDriver alluding to this.

Is a non-ideal setup better than no Atmos height speakers?

Thanks,

Michael

IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4138.jpg
ci-elite-e80-a.jpg.png

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't heard that particular Paradigm but I have an older pair of in-walls similar to the E80-IW and I've been very pleased with the sound. You want to timber match the fronts and preferably surrounds as well but I don't think it's as critical for ATMOS speakers since you're dealing mostly with effects.

My biggest concern would be the height difference. Your AVR might be able to adjust for the timing difference, but not the difference in dispersion over distance, as well as the angle relative to the listener. The L + R ATMOS channels may not sound the same and would likely not be within the recommended ATMOS spec.

Other issue is removing insulation to install cabinets for the in-walls. If the cabinet is larger, then you have to remove the drywall, install the cabinet, reinstall / repair the drywall and repaint. If you live in a cold climate where it gets below freezing, the lack of insulation may cause condensation issues. I would not be too concerned about the wiring as any competent installer should be able to get wires into that space, although some drywall repair may still be in order. I would lean towards the pendant idea from William.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis