Atmos availability on Amazon 4k Fire Tv

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
So I just finished installing my in ceiling speakers to complete my 5.1.4 setup. I'm about to hook up my new Denon AVR 4300 along with a 4k Fire Tv tonight. My question is, where can I find Dolby Atmos content on the Fire TV? I understand that the Netflix app does not yet support it but the Fire TV itself does. Thanks in advance

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If netflix doesn't and you are not using something to play your own media then Vudu may be your only source for Atmos content. I don't think any of the amazon shows have it yet.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
If netflix doesn't and you are not using something to play your own media then Vudu may be your only source for Atmos content. I don't think any of the amazon shows have it yet.
Got it and thanks. I was afraid that might be the answer. Netflix supports it, but only via the Xbox or certain LG TVs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Got it and thanks. I was afraid that might be the answer. Netflix supports it, but only via the Xbox or certain LG TVs.
This is why I got a Roku instead. Fire TV does not allow access to Vudu. As far as streaming services goes, VUDU is the only provider that manages near bluray quality in both video and audio. Not only do they provide atmos on their UHD titles where atmos would regularly be found on the bluray, but they’ve recently dropped the price on them to where they are often cheaper than Blu-ray.

I really don’t understand why Netflix can’t provide atmos on other devices. Atmos is nothing more than metadata attached to the DD+ stream that instructs the avr on how to process the audio as objects vs channels. Netflix already utilizes DD+ on their titles, and metadata support has nothing to do with the platform or device.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
This is why I got a Roku instead. Fire TV does not allow access to Vudu. As far as streaming services goes, VUDU is the only provider that manages near bluray quality in both video and audio. Not only do they provide atmos on their UHD titles where atmos would regularly be found on the bluray, but they’ve recently dropped the price on them to where they are often cheaper than Blu-ray.

I really don’t understand why Netflix can’t provide atmos on other devices. Atmos is nothing more than metadata attached to the DD+ stream that instructs the avr on how to process the audio as objects vs channels. Netflix already utilizes DD+ on their titles, and metadata support has nothing to do with the platform or device.
So then essentially, though the 4K Fire Tv supports the format, there is no content available on it? Looks like I’ll be returning it for a Roku. Thanks for the clarification.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
So then essentially, though the 4K Fire Tv supports the format, there is no content available on it? Looks like I’ll be returning it for a Roku. Thanks for the clarification.
Pretty much. I like amazon devices, but I hate “jails” that block specific content for the developers own financial gain. Amazon instant video is the worst looking and sounding streaming service between Netflix, VUDU, and iTunes. VUDU 1080p looks better than amazon 4K.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Really hoping Apple implements Atoms support for the ATV 4K soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis