AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reasons I bought ATI amps:

1) very cool heavy duty metal handles in front
2) superb measurements; no hiss/low noise floor/dead silent, superb SNR, Crosstalk, THD
3) 7 yr warranty
4) American muscle amp made like a tank in the USA
5) been around for 30 years
6) owns Theta Digital and B&K
7) makes some 125wpc, 200wpc, and 300wpc amps for Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Theta, B&K, Cary Audio, Outlaw, and Earthquake Sound.
8) 2000 & 3000 amps are truly fully balanced
9) automatic fuse-less protection circuits

D

damobetta

Enthusiast
I have bee using an ATI 2000 for about 9 years. While I do not have any measurements for you. I can say without doubt this amp:)kicks butt. Y system seems to be very efficient as I:)cannot turn the master volume much past 3 as the red limit light begins flash. This amp stays cool and never makes a sound? For my listening space it really packs a punch and gets the most out of my 5 Def Techs.

On another note I am finally going to replace my old Sony ES receiver and would like to go with pure processor. Does anyone have a reccomendation?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have bee using an ATI 2000 for about 9 years. While I do not have any measurements for you. I can say without doubt this amp:)kicks butt. Y system seems to be very efficient as I:)cannot turn the master volume much past 3 as the red limit light begins flash. This amp stays cool and never makes a sound? For my listening space it really packs a punch and gets the most out of my 5 Def Techs.

On another note I am finally going to replace my old Sony ES receiver and would like to go with pure processor. Does anyone have a reccomendation?
I think the Integra 80.3 gets the most recommendations for the price/performance. I don't think going up to $7500 Anthem or Denon AVP-A1 gives you anymore performance.

T

TazExprez

Audiophyte
I am leaning on getting the AT1805, or maybe even the AT1807 if it goes down to $1,395.00.

I noticed that a B stock ATI AT2005 goes for about $700.00 more than a brand new Outlaw 7500. The specs on both amps are basically identical. Both have the two toroidal transformer, balanced input design. They have the same slew rate and damping. They have the same output with the same THD. The have a similar rear panel design. They probably have other things in common that I have not noticed. I read that ATI makes amps for several companies, including Outlaw. Why this difference in price? Is this difference the result of ATI not selling directly to the consumer? Are they charging more because the warranty on the AT2005 is 7 years vs the 7500's 5 year warranty? Or could it be because you can upgrade the AT2005 to 7 channels, while you can't do this with the 7500?

Btw here are photos of the AT2007 (I couldn't find any for the AT2005, but you can add two more channels and turn it into an AT2007):

Here are the photos of the Outlaw 7500:

I think they could be cousins.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed that a B stock ATI AT2005 goes for about $700.00 more than a brand new Outlaw 7500. The specs on both amps are basically identical. Both have the two toroidal transformer, balanced input design. They have the same slew rate and damping. They have the same output with the same THD. The have a similar rear panel design. They probably have other things in common that I have not noticed. I read that ATI makes amps for several companies, including Outlaw. Why this difference in price? Is this difference the result of ATI not selling directly to the consumer? Are they charging more because the warranty on the AT2005 is 7 years vs the 7500's 5 year warranty? Or could it be because you can upgrade the AT2005 to 7 channels, while you can't do this with the 7500?
That's a question only ATI can answer. The amps do appear to be nearly identical.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've called ATI to inquire about the other dozen amps they supposedly make for other companies. Their official statement was not surprising. They are legally bounded to a disclosure clause. There is no way ATI will tell you the names of any companies they make amps for.

Their employees are also legally bounded to this disclosure agreement.

Some customers have been in the ATI factory and they have witnessed the names of these companies.

Possibly some employees and formal employees have unofficially leaked info.

Some people have also opened up amps and saw the internals that looked just like those of ATI.

All we know for sure is that ATI makes amps for other companies. Everything else is unofficial.

It is surprising how ATI has been around for 30 yrs and almost everyone in this industry knows ATI makes amps for quite a few companies, yet we can't find a single 3rd party review/ measurement.

We can only hope that Gene will get his hands on the AT3005 one day. :D

D

Docks

Audioholic
I've called ATI to inquire about the other dozen amps they supposedly make for other companies. Their official statement was not surprising. They are legally bounded to a disclosure clause. There is no way ATI will tell you the names of any companies they make amps for.

Their employees are also legally bounded to this disclosure agreement.

Some customers have been in the ATI factory and they have witnessed the names of these companies.

Possibly some employees and formal employees have unofficially leaked info.

Some people have also opened up amps and saw the internals that looked just like those of ATI.

All we know for sure is that ATI makes amps for other companies. Everything else is unofficial.

It is surprising how ATI has been around for 30 yrs and almost everyone in this industry knows ATI makes amps for quite a few companies, yet we can't find a single 3rd party review/ measurement.

We can only hope that Gene will get his hands on the AT3005 one day. :D
Send him yours for a bit!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Reasons I bought ATI amps:

1) very cool heavy duty metal handles in front
2) superb measurements; no hiss/low noise floor/dead silent, superb SNR, Crosstalk, THD
3) 7 yr warranty
4) American muscle amp made like a tank in the USA
5) been around for 30 years
6) owns Theta Digital and B&K
7) makes some 125wpc, 200wpc, and 300wpc amps for Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Theta, B&K, Cary Audio, Outlaw, and Earthquake Sound.
8) 2000 & 3000 amps are truly fully balanced
9) automatic fuse-less protection circuits

Same reason, love mine

D

Docks

Audioholic
Too bad, a bench tested ATI AT3002 is the only thing holding me back from buying one.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Too bad, a bench tested ATI AT3002 is the only thing holding me back from buying one.
Why is bench testing such a factor? What is it going to tell you that's so important?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only ATI amp I've seen measurement for is the AT6012 by The Audio Critic.

Knowing Kevin Voecks recommends ATI amps for his Salon2 is something.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think ATI feels like they have much else to prove to anyone. They are no longer a secret. They are world-class.

Does anyone doubt their specified measurements? The whole world is watching.

T

TazExprez

Audiophyte
I emailed ATI and Outlaw Audio and asked them about transformer ratings and total capacitance.

The following are the specs for some of the ATI AT1800, the AT2000, and the AT3000 series amplifiers:
AT1805:
Transformers: 1.04kVA and 1.04kVA
Capacitance: 22,400 microfarads per channel
AT1807:
Transformers: 1.23kVA and 1.04kVA
Capacitance: 22,400 microfarads per channel
AT2005:
Transformers: 1.04kVA and 1.04kVA
Capacitance: 30,000 microfarads per channel
AT2007:
Transformers: 1.6kVA and 1.04kVA
AT3005:
Transformers: 1.6kVA and 1.4kVA
Capacitance: 36,000 microfarads per channel
AT3007:
Transformers: 1.8kVA and 1.4kVA

The following are the specs for the Outlaw Audio 7500, the 7700, and the 7900:
7500:
Transformers: Approximately 2kVA
7700:
Transformers: Approximately 2.5kVA
7900:
Transformers: Approximately 3kVA
Outlaw Audio told me that they do not give the transformer rating per transformer and they gave me an approximation of the total rating.

The numbers above look very similar to me.

D

Docks

Audioholic
How is the AT3002 not a secret? They wont reveal who they outsource to, we have no bench tests.
All that we have is Mark Levinson measurements and subjective listening results, which IMO for amps is pretty difficult.
I'm pretty sure we all know the saying about making assumptions.

I don't think ATI feels like they have much else to prove to anyone. They are no longer a secret. They are world-class.

Does anyone doubt their specified measurements? The whole world is watching.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now guys do the math to find the kVA per specified watts, compare that to Emo's and you will understand why I have hard time understanding why people who say they lust brute power yet opt for a XPA-5 instead of going for the XPA-2 or even XPA-3 and let the AVR handles the surrounds for their 5.1 setup. Same with the Anthem MCA series, I have no idea how they could come up with the ACD power they specifed, with their relatively small PS transformers and capacitance. I now have more faith in the ATI/Outlaw power specs than I do with the other two.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Now guys do the math to find the kVA per specified watts, compare that to Emo's and you will understand why I have hard time understanding why people who say they lust brute power yet opt for a XPA-5 instead of going for the XPA-2 or even XPA-3 and let the AVR handles the surrounds for their 5.1 setup. Same with the Anthem MCA series, I have no idea how they could come up with the ACD power they specifed, with their relatively small PS transformers and capacitance. I now have more faith in the ATI/Outlaw power specs than I do with the other two.
I see your point, and that's one reason why I was always so impressed by the Levinson 334. 801kVA for 125w/8-ohms *per channel*, and that sort of engineering is why it could realistically double down to 2 ohm loads. But in the end the ATI, which is designed to a lower standard, sounds just as good on my current speakers as the Levinsons did. Better, perhaps, due to lower audible noise and about 3db more power headroom into 4 ohms. Few speakers present the obnoxious load the Legacy Focus did, that had me hunting for such a robust amp, no less for passive bi-amping.

Only a small percentage of amplifiers are ever independently tested, and only a small percentage of those tested don't meet their specs. Most exceed them, especially for a company like ATI, run by a zealot with a reputation he's proud of. Are you really, Docks, going to restrict yourself to amps that have been independently bench-tested? If an AT2002 was tested and got accolades, would you trust that an AT3002 was similarly good?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis