ATI (Amplifier Technologies) Owners Thread

M

mars2k

Enthusiast
So about ATI sourced AVP,s that would be DataSat, Theta and Monolith...wow talk about waiting for a frosty night in Hell. Meanwhile I've had good luck with ATI NCore amps, have owned several Brystons including a pair of 28s. I like the idea of Bryston but they have gotten outrageously expensive. Pound for pound ATIs hold up pretty well. I'd like to see the bake off between the ATI 3300s and the NC54xs.

M

Mavendude

Audiophyte
Hello ATI guru's..

I have a ATI 1505 with 3 active channels. There are 2 unused slots to add additional modules.
I do no have the original box.

1. Is it possible to install the 2 additional modules myself without having to send the unit to ATI?
2. If the answer is YES for the above question - pls point me to where I could purchase the two additional modules.

Thanks in advance!

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello ATI guru's..

I have a ATI 1505 with 3 active channels. There are 2 unused slots to add additional modules.
I do no have the original box.

1. Is it possible to install the 2 additional modules myself without having to send the unit to ATI?
2. If the answer is YES for the above question - pls point me to where I could purchase the two additional modules.

Thanks in advance!
These units are not field upgradable, often they need different transformers to support the added channels.
You need to contact ATI for pricing and logistics.

- Rich

M

Mavendude

Audiophyte
These units are not field upgradable, often they need different transformers to support the added channels.
You need to contact ATI for pricing and logistics.

- Rich
Thank you Rich! appreciate the quick response.
I never thought about the additional power needed for the added channels. Great inputs there..
I found this email (support@ati-amp.com) from their website and sent a note to them about this. Hope to hear from them. If it helps, I would be glad to keep this thread posted with what I find out!

Have a great day.

M

Mavendude

Audiophyte
Thank you Rich! appreciate the quick response.
I never thought about the additional power needed for the added channels. Great inputs there..
I found this email (support@ati-amp.com) from their website and sent a note to them about this. Hope to hear from them. If it helps, I would be glad to keep this thread posted with what I find out!

Have a great day.
ATI support stated that they do not have the ATO 1505 modules for sale, they suggested to look for parts from eBay.

Mr Tape

Mr Tape

Enthusiast
Who said night and day? Might want to reread that! ;) There is absolutely a break in cycle, and there will be changes while an amp breaks in for the first few hundred hours. Do you believe that speakers need to break in? My Kefs needed at least 300 hours of playing before they fully opened up.
With a class A/B amplifier with conventional bias circuitry, components which have to do with bias can further stabilize with break-in. It's not far fetched at all. Bias can also be sensitive to ambient temperature.

Last edited:
S

Servo15

Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting the ATI 3307. I know it has 2 power cords, and they suggest using 20amp circuts, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can use it in a regular 15amp outlet?
I know they say that you won't be able to get the full power out it on the 4007 Sig Series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking about getting the ATI 3307. I know it has 2 power cords, and they suggest using 20amp circuts, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can use it in a regular 15amp outlet?
I know they say that you won't be able to get the full power out it on the 4007 Sig Series.
Yes, I’ve done that at my previous house, but I had to replace the old 15-amp outlet with a 20-amp outlet from Home Depot/Lowes. They had the same wiring.

Most newer homes actually have 20-amp circuits, but they still use the 15-amp outlets because most people don’t need 20-amp.

For example, when my current house was built in 2017, I told the electrician I wanted all the regular circuits to be 20-amp, not 15-amp. He told me he always uses 20-amp circuits, but just use 15-amp outlets. I had to tell him that I wanted my outlets to be 20-amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For audio signal that is not continuous in nature, 15 A is fine as you won't know the difference. 20 A is better in theory, 30, even 50 A will be better too, but..

15X2X120 = 3600 W, 80% (that's just base on code) of 3600W = 2880 W, the ATI amp is class AB so efficiency at full load would be at least 80%. 2880X70% = 2016 W, I highly doubt you need 2 kW output for movie watching, even during the 20 dB peak moments. So again, don't worry, just enjoy the shows.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Many of our clients use 15 A outlets and circuits for their ATI amps, and no problems.

S

Servo15

Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I was planning on getting the 4007, but after talking to some people, they all say the 3307 is much better...I'm 60/40 movies/music.
I hope there's truth behind it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys. I was planning on getting the 4007, but after talking to some people, they all say the 3307 is much better...I'm 60/40 movies/music.
I hope there's truth behind it.
Who are those people? I am just being curious about their rationale. Based on specs I would think they are both good but the 4000 series are ATI's flagship signature series. The 3307 has higher output specs but if 200 W is more than enough for your need then the 4007 should be the "better" one, on paper anyway.

S

Servo15

Enthusiast
I spoke to another guy on different forum. He also has been looking into ATI. He spoke to ATI and also 2 separate dealers who both said the 3300 is a newer technology than what's in the Signature Series and they all stated that it's the better of all their lines. If you read on ATI's website. The 3300 is Pure balanced, not balanced like the Signature Series.
He was also told that the Signature Series is due to be replaced or updated in the near future.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I spoke to another guy on different forum. He also has been looking into ATI. He spoke to ATI and also 2 separate dealers who both said the 3300 is a newer technology than what's in the Signature Series and they all stated that it's the better of all their lines. If you read on ATI's website. The 3300 is Pure balanced, not balanced like the Signature Series.
He was also told that the Signature Series is due to be replaced or updated in the near future.
The Signature series are supposedly fully balanced, so called dual differential balanced from input to output. Is pure balance more balanced? lol..

According to the website, ATI stated that the Signature series amps were their very best.

If people believe the so called pure balance is better then I guess ATI might come up with a super or ultra balance series a few years from now.;) No wonder marketing department is the most important department in such manufacturing companies. Anyway I am sure you can't go wrong with any of those amps.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, any ATI amp will be awesome.

Doesn’t matter what kind of “balance” it has - even if it’s not balanced. It will sound awesome , be extremely reliable, has 7 YR warranty and great customer support.

I think the only factors to consider would be the weight and cost of the amps. Personally I would choose the class-D because it’s a lot lighter in weight. I would also choose the ATI amp that costs less. :D

S

Servo15

Enthusiast
So, I spoke with ATI Tech Support, and he said the Signature Series is their best sounding amp.
I also talked with a really awesome guy at a big on-line ATI e-tailer and all I got out was. "Hi, I am trying to decide which ATI amp to go with", and before I finished my sentence, he said, "Signature Series". Like 3 times.
Then he left me finish...LOL and then proceeded to explain why. He also told me some inside stuff about ATI among other things. So, I've made my decision on which amp.

I've had a 1505 for 18 years and it has never given me a problem in all that time, so I'm excited to see what they have done since then.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I've been selling a lot of the Class D ATI amps for home theater projects, and every one of my clients love them: lighter weight, they don't run hot, and fantastic AQ.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been selling a lot of the Class D ATI amps for home theater projects, and every one of my clients love them: lighter weight, they don't run hot, and fantastic AQ.
If the Monolith 8250 is just as good in terms of reliability and build quality, it would be a viable alternative to ATI fans.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis