Asking for help Could be Speakers maybe Not?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Im not sure what's going on fellas.

I had this issue a couple weeks ago but it went away

Came upstairs getting ready to watch the system.

Ran test tones before I started all test tones were fine.

Checked the level on one it sounded a little high. Calibrated it ran through each speaker channel one last time

And the SAME PROBLEM.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On my left surround the test tone was very muted like 10db low a slight crackling could be heard.

So I powered everything down after a few minutes turned the amps off from they're standby mode let it sit then turned them back into standby after 5 minutes

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Started the system back up ran test tones now both the left surround channel AND the front right channel had the same issue

Volume on the test tone very muted to like a hiss about 10db down. Slight crackling. The front right channel had never been affected before.

So now 2 channels not right when just 15 minutes ago when I ran test tones all the channels were okay

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Very confused not sure if it's the reciever Anthem AVM60 amplifier they are hooked up to the MCA 525 a wiring issue or speakers don't think it's the speakers

Do you guys have any ideas? Not sure what is going on and I sure don't want to run that system until I get this figured out

Any help Id really appreciate it

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What's your whole signal path?

AVM60 => MCA525 => Speakers?

What is your test source? AVM60? Computer with REW?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What's your whole signal path?

AVM60 => MCA525 => Speakers?

What is your test source? AVM60? Computer with REW?
Anthem AVM60 to the Anthem MCA 525 and an Anthem PVA 7

Anthem AVM60 is the test source no other computer or REW the AVM 60 to amps to speakers is the complete path

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try running a soft or hard reset on the electronics?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Try running a soft or hard reset on the electronics?
I will but I think first I'll hit a cable swap move the cable on the left and right see if I can narrow it down or should I do the reset first?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Didn’t you say a cable swap worked last time?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will but I think first I'll hit a cable swap move the cable on the left and right see if I can narrow it down or should I do the reset first?
Oh I'd check connection first for sure. Altho a soft reset is easy enough....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh I'd check connection first for sure. Altho a soft reset is easy enough....
Okay I'll check connection how do you recommend I swap cables to isolate the issue

Do I swap cables with the Anthem first or with the amp do I swap the RCA's or the speaker wire?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay I'll check connection how do you recommend I swap cables to isolate the issue

Do I swap cables with the Anthem first or with the amp do I swap the RCA's or the speaker wire?
I'd just check all connections, swap some around involved with the bad noises, maybe do the all unplug and plug things one at a time until I could narrow it down.....so maybe I would just start with the soft reset and go from there with the cabling....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the same problem spread to other channels, I think it is very unlikely to be wiring or speakers. I would guess it's in the electronics somewhere, either amp or pre-amp. You need to reproduce the problem with the same component in another system to really isolate it. Do you have another processor or amp that you can swap out in the meantime, or another system that you can place those components in?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know it's not your first rodeo... :)
I switched off bare wire and tinning my bare ends because of slippage in the binding posts.
That's just me.
If there is a loose connect I would expect intermittent cut-out. It would surprise me if you are experiencing multiple loose connects.
...Ha, as Shady chimes in! :)

What you are describing makes me think something is fritzing in the processor itself, unless it is happening in only one of the amps... but for multiple amps to be failing intermittently in the same way would be a little suspect.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If the same problem spread to other channels, I think it is very unlikely to be wiring or speakers. I would guess it's in the electronics somewhere, either amp or pre-amp. You need to reproduce the problem with the same component in another system to really isolate it. Do you have another processor or amp that you can swap out in the meantime, or another system that you can place those components in?
Okay now that's just WEIRD guys I turned it back on ran through the test tones again and they all WORK PERFECTLY

So like you said Shady it's probably in the electronics. I'm thinking probably the AVM 60 because the amp wouldn't just cut in and out like that right?

Also like you guys said multiple wiring probably not since that's highly unlikely across off and on multiple speakers like that

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know it's not your first rodeo... :)
I switched off bare wire and tinning my bare ends because of slippage in the binding posts.
That's just me.
If there is a loose connect I would expect intermittent cut-out. It would surprise me if you are experiencing multiple loose connects.
...Ha, as Shady chimes in! :)

What you are describing makes me think something is fritzing in the processor itself, unless it is happening in only one of the amps... but for multiple amps to be failing intermittently in the same way would be a little suspect.
Okay so I'm going to run the test tones one more time trying something out.

As per your question Shady I think my bedroom setup might work I need to see if the Onkyo has enough preouts if it does I can switch it out tommorow see if the Anthem will have the same issue

It's getting too late to swap it out tonight I have to be up for work super early thanks guys I'll hit you back up once I find something out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck. I'm betting on the prepro mostly. If connections are good and cables in good condition (no pets or children chewing on wires?) I'd just swap a few out with channels you've noticed issues on to see if that alone carries a problem elsewhere....

Was the success after a soft reset, tho?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Good luck. I'm betting on the prepro mostly. If connections are good and cables in good condition (no pets or children chewing on wires?) I'd just swap a few out with channels you've noticed issues on to see if that alone carries a problem elsewhere....

Was the success after a soft reset, tho?
Yeah I think it's the prepro as well.

No before I could try anything it just started working again on its own

So weird.

Screw it I had an installer for the more complicated parts such as wiring and I bought my amps and pre pro from him

I'm just going to call him out

If it was consistently doing it I could isolate it.

But since it's jumping around I'm thinking I'd rather not screw with it I'll call him out and get the problem isolated

Both amp and prepro are under warranty so once he can isolate the problem I can just get another one

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis