Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX Loudspeaker Review

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone have any opinions on how these compare to the JTR 212HT?
No comparison in the bass. The JTR is rated down to 60Hz while the 1723 Monitor goes down to 34Hz. If paired with a sub they may compare better. The JTR has the Arendal beat on efficiency though. While the 1723 is a respectable 89dB at 2.83V the JTR is a crazy 101dB at 2.0V and can put out 134dB with enough amplification. That is crazy loud. I don't know the sound characteristics of the JTR though. The 1723 measures pretty flat but would need to see graphs on the JTR.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I have done tests like you described, although not in mono. I have messed around with three Hsu HC-1 mk2s to hear the difference between horizontal vs vertical MTMs. I also played around with that when I had the RSL CG5 and CG25 speakers. I set them up so that the MTM was the center with the MTs as left and rights, and I tried that vs the MT as center and MTMs as left and rights. In my experience, the difference is subtle and I really only ever heard anything (or thought I heard anything) at off-axis angles where cancellation lobes would start to affect the response. I didn't hear the difference on-axis. Even as a pretty strong advocate of three-way centers that eliminate this problem, I tend to agree with you that the problem might be overblown. Although I have to concede that there may have been factors in my experience that isn't true for others, like my room's acoustic properties, or my own biases affecting my perception. I still recommend a three-way center when they can be accommodated because horizontal MTMs can sometimes have a very narrow angle of a good response before the lobes take their toll, and that can degrade the sound for off-axis listeners, but if you are the lone listener sitting dead ahead of the center, I think a horizontal MTM can be just fine, but then again you would be in a spot where a phantom center would be good as well and would scarcely need a physical center.
So with that being said would you say that the SVS Ultra Center being a 3 way speaker is better than the Arendal 1723 THX center? I would greatly appreciate your input as I'm now down to choosing between these 2 as my center speaker.

N

nigio

Enthusiast
In case you consider 1723 Monitors for L-R and 1723 Center as C, what I understand is :
- > Positive: really good timbre matching, as 1723 Monitor is identical speaker to1723 Center
-> Negative: The 1723 Center is MTM (not ideal center speaker configuration).
Which bullet from the above is more important?
The ideal scenario would be 3 x 1723 Monitors as LCRs placed vertically, correct ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The ideal scenario would be 3 x 1723 Monitors as LCRs placed vertically, correct ?
Using the same speakers across the front stage is definitely an ideal. ;) If you were using towers and didn't want a horizontal MTM Center, going with a third matching tower or the matching standmount would be good solution. (Of course, predicated on having the room to place a vertical speaker in the center of the front wall, either under the TV or behind an AT Screen.)

That said, if you only have a narrow seating area, the drawback of that horizontal MTM isn't a big deal. On the other hand, if you've got 5 seats across, then you would want something that won't lobe so badly and deliver a better horizontal dispersion. :)

N

nigio

Enthusiast
Has anyone used the 1723 s bookshelves as surrounds matched to the 1723 monitors as L-R? How is the timbre matching?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There was a thread with someone using three 1723 monitors up front, but I can't recall what he had for surrounds and can't find the thread. (Anyobody?) One thing about the Arendals is that they all use the same tweeter and waveguide technology. The graph for the 1723 bookshelf is here. The frequency response graph between the various models seems pretty consistent and they generally appear to be a relatively neutral sounding speaker. I would expect the timbre to match very well across the 1723 THX line.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone used the 1723 s bookshelves as surrounds matched to the 1723 monitors as L-R? How is the timbre matching?
I wouldn't even question that.
Usually within a line, manufacturers will keep similar components... tweeters are usually the key, but how they design the XO and voice the speakers will usually match up well. Even if the woofers are different.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
How do these compare to Paradigm Founder Series. For 50% Movies and 50% Music. Both are equally important.

D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
Why are in some reviews the distortion measurements not included? It's a mandatory part of speaker measurements and it's not the most difficult part to measure. Is it specified by the manufacturer how you guys calibrate the speakers? So that certain measurements are filtered/left out of the review?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why are in some reviews the distortion measurements not included? It's a mandatory part of speaker measurements and it's not the most difficult part to measure. Is it specified by the manufacturer how you guys calibrate the speakers? So that certain measurements are filtered/left out of the review?
Distortion is not a mandatory part of speaker measurements, and it is difficult to measure. It is also not well known how it correlates to audibility. No one specifies how we "calibrate" speakers.

D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
Distortion is not a mandatory part of speaker measurements, and it is difficult to measure. It is also not well known how it correlates to audibility. No one specifies how we "calibrate" speakers.
Thanks for the update.

Resonances in the housing/woofers is something that is audible for many. Not direcly distortion but it will cause distortion. LF distortion is not audible indeed below maybe even up to ~10% but medium to HF distortion is audible. But great to hear that no one specifies what is part about the reviews and what is not. For me, it's an very interesting part of the review, the distortion measurement but now that I think about it "Resonances" even more.

B

Bullroof

Audiophyte
Are the Arendal 1723s comparable to Martin Logan Motion 60xti?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are the Arendal 1723s comparable to Martin Logan Motion 60xti?
Very different speakers. I suppose they are roughly comparable in that they are in the same price class.

B

Bullroof

Audiophyte
Very different speakers. I suppose they are roughly comparable in that they are in the same price class.
Would greatly appreciate if you could elaborate on what makes them so different. Would one be suited more for music or movies over the other?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would greatly appreciate if you could elaborate on what makes them so different. Would one be suited more for music or movies over the other?
The 60Xti is a 3-way floor-standing speaker using an AMT tweeter and very different tuning points as well as drivers. The 1723 Monitor is a 2-way stand-mount speaker with a horn-loaded dome and larger woofers.

For movies, I would give the 1723s the edge since it digs deeper in low-frequency extension. For music, that is tough to say but I might still swing for the 1723s. They are probably a bit more linear.

B

Bullroof

Audiophyte
The 60Xti is a 3-way floor-standing speaker using an AMT tweeter and very different tuning points as well as drivers. The 1723 Monitor is a 2-way stand-mount speaker with a horn-loaded dome and larger woofers.

For movies, I would give the 1723s the edge since it digs deeper in low-frequency extension. For music, that is tough to say but I might still swing for the 1723s. They are probably a bit more linear.
Thanks for the input. I’m very impressed with the knowledge some people have on this forum. I ordered the 1723s. Will post again after I receive and listen to them thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the input. I’m very impressed with the knowledge some people have on this forum. I ordered the 1723s. Will post again after I receive and listen to them thanks.
Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts!

S

sleepingitoff

Audiophyte
Did you get your Arendals? What are your thoughts?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis