Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX Loudspeaker Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've never tried this for an MTM, but I have for a pair of BMR's, which will have a sharp null at the mid-tweeter crossover point off axis if played horizontally. A couple of people have been forced to place their BMR's that way to avoid covering up artwork. I was dubious, but they sounded fine. Let's see now. Which speakers were supposed to be the subject of this thread? How quickly we forget.
What? We’re on to BMRs now?!! Woohoo! ;)
Dennis, quick sidebar as you mentioned working on an all Accuton build. Have you happened upon Aurender (network Streamers, mainly) and their custom Accuton Towers in any of the audio shows you’ve been too?
Keep your eyes open for them at Capital. Dunno if they will be there, but your project reminded me of them. :)

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never tried this for an MTM, but I have for a pair of BMR's, which will have a sharp null at the mid-tweeter crossover point off axis if played horizontally. A couple of people have been forced to place their BMR's that way to avoid covering up artwork. I was dubious, but they sounded fine. Let's see now. Which speakers were supposed to be the subject of this thread? How quickly we forget.
Well, the Arendals are MTM speakers! :p I'm interested in this conversation because I may have a misconception and you guys are educating me. I totally get that 2 way centers are overly demonized, but still curious about stereo performance and if/how there's any real audible difference in stuff like the soundstage or imaging.

The BMRs have RAALs tho, right? Wouldn't one want want to flip the ribbon if laying those on their side, or is that what they did?

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Can't say as I have, and I couldn't find a link to them. My design is only 2/3 Accuton. I refuse to use one of their woofers as a single after having two of them shatter at not terribly high playback levels. I'm using the 7" Revelator. I took the project on mainly so I could see whether an extra $425 for a midrange got you better performance than the $15 BMR unit. The jury is still out on that one. Hey--what about those Arendal louspeaks? Really something. BTW--what's the correct pronunciation--ARendal or arRENdal?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@D Murphy
Here's a link to their listening room (Aurender) at the CAS in 2019.
;)

BTW, I think emphasis is on the first syllable. :) Anybody else?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well, in all fairness at was a forum member laying the Arendal 1723 on its side that got us on this tangent. ;) It's also fair to compare other speakers in a similar price range and the Monitor THX is similarly priced to the Philharmonic BMR Monitor and the 1723 Tower THX is close to the BMR Tower in pricing so it seems like a natural comparison given that they both have a relatively flat response on axis. We can always jump back on the BMR Tower thread for an update. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Speaking of which... @D Murphy , what is the status of the promised BMR Tower review? ;) Is that already in works, or still pending??? Thank you!

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Speaking of which... @D Murphy , what is the status of the promised BMR Tower review? ;) Is that already in works, or still pending??? Thank you!
Whew. I thought we would never get back to BMR's. All of the towers are locked in a great big container waiting for a ship to float them over here. So no, the review isn't underway yet.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
How would the 1723 floorstanders compare to the jbl HDI-3800s I wonder....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How would the 1723 floorstanders compare to the jbl HDI-3800s I wonder....
The HDI-3800s probably still has an advantage in dynamic range. They are using a pretty beefy compression drivers whereas the 1723s are using dome tweeters.

T

triks_melb

Audiophyte
Made In China regretfully - shows the manufacturer doesn't have any ethics specially with what is going on at the moment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Made In China regretfully - shows the manufacturer doesn't have any ethics specially with what is going on at the moment.
Lol you expect otherwise with consumer electronics? Been living in a bunker?

T

triks_melb

Audiophyte
Lol you expect otherwise with consumer electronics? Been living in a bunker?
some of us haven't given up yet, there are some manufactures who haven't given up either i.e. some Denon receivers, MartinLogan and others.

If you are OK with ignoring the human rights issues over there and a potential takeover by China then keep justifying it by buying their products.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
some of us haven't given up yet, there are some manufactures who haven't given up either i.e. some Denon receivers, MartinLogan and others.

If you are OK with ignoring the human rights issues over there and a potential takeover by China then keep justifying it by buying their products.
They've all (i.e. all consumer electronics brands) had their problems (and have two Denons myself). MartinLogan I don't think much about but tend to put out fairly reliable products generally from what I've seen (as does Denon). You can thank your republican masters for the shift to China originally....but if you buy your electronics "ethically" you're going to have limited choices.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis