Arendal 1723 2V Subwoofer Review

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
Just a friendly reminder...

Keep it on point folks.
I understand the new policy. It does seem like it will stifle any constructive discussion though. Many thought that the fact that the price of the sub was not mentioned in the list of cons was something that was perhaps an oversight. After all the value of a subwoofer cannot be assessed in isolation from any other subwoofer. The only way to back that up with evidence is to discuss other subwoofers that measure comparatively. I’m not saying I won’t comply, simply that this will significantly limit discussion having much substance.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I understand the new policy. It does seem like it will stifle any constructive discussion though. Many thought that the fact that the price of the sub was not mentioned in the list of cons was something that was perhaps an oversight. After all the value of a subwoofer cannot be assessed in isolation from any other subwoofer. The only way to back that up with evidence is to discuss other subwoofers that measure comparatively. I’m not saying I won’t comply, simply that this will significantly limit discussion having much substance.
Just to clarify (at least my personal stance,) I don't particularly care that other items get mentioned in passing to question the value of a particular product. If someone wants to ask James / Shady how the Arendal compares with Sub X, and note that Sub X appears to offer better performance for less $$$, so be it. OTOH, when we're sitting here with multi-paragraph posts about the benefits of Rythmik's servo technology on a thread that's exists primarily to provide info on the Arendal 1723 2V, that's a problem.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think it is fair to say, a constructive compare and contrast may be one thing, but a constant... uh, "discussion" ... ;) ...about another product is where the conversation derails.
It's been my experience here that the Mods are very generous. I appreciate this. It takes persistent gross infraction of the rules to trigger an interaction. If the topic is constructive, sidebar conversations are rarely even commented on. That other site is much less forgiving. :)

Ha! And just like that, Steve posted! :D And voila! All should be clear.

@Steve81 , its been a while since we talked. I hope all is well with you! :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think the price is a con. It is a good value as a package. However, if all you want is sheer SPL from your sub, yes, there are better buys out there, and I mention that in the review. Arendal made a sub that is terrific in nearly every single respect. To make something like that doesn't come cheaply, but $3k is a good deal for such a well-rounded package. The people coming in here talking about Rythmik just don't get it, and yes, I have experience with Rythmik products. I suppose it might be a shortcoming in the review that I didn't get across just how nice this subwoofer is as an audio product which then invited comparisons to down-market products. You don't see people commenting on why not just get a Toyota Corrola in a review of a Mercedes S Class.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
I don't think the price is a con. It is a good value as a package. However, if all you want is sheer SPL from your sub, yes, there are better buys out there, and I mention that in the review. Arendal made a sub that is terrific in nearly every single respect. To make something like that doesn't come cheaply, but $3k is a good deal for such a well-rounded package. The people coming in here talking about Rythmik just don't get it, and yes, I have experience with Rythmik products. I suppose it might be a shortcoming in the review that I didn't get across just how nice this subwoofer is as an audio product which then invited comparisons to down-market products. You don't see people commenting on why not just get a Toyota Corrola in a review of a Mercedes S Class.
I agree, perhaps I am just missing the luxury stuff that Adrenal has over other subwoofers. When other manufacturers came out with app control for setup I was originally kind of jealous and wanting it, but then realizing that I have multiple subwoofers that I place in best locations based on Harman research and then run Audyssey for EQ, that this extra feature is not really needed as far as my application is concerned. So for me, when I think of "luxury" I'm thinking of the finish on the subwoofer. Like most others have mentioned I chose the budget finish, even though I could have gone with the luxury finish, to save a bit of money and I knew that just moving the big box around or just the fact that I have kids would scratch the nice finish and then I'd just be mad about it. Plus I don't want a big glossy piano black box up front where a projector can reflect light off of it. My main speakers have solid bamboo cabinets and are gorgeous to look at, but I'm less concerned about those smaller speakers getting scuffed or damaged when moving them around, being much lighter and more manageable in terms of size.

Anyways, I don't think that your car analogy fits this situation. The "budget" subwoofer that I mentioned has very very similar performance measurements. Not just in SPL, but in distortion, transient response, etc. The Adrenal subwoofer is excellent for a ported design, in terms of group delay, which I completely agree with you. It is in the territory of a sealed subwoofer! A better car analogy might be the base model of the Tesla Model S vs. the Mercedes S class. Or swap in a Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus or Accura where the performance of the cars are at least in the same ball park but the Mercedes S class has a leg up on some of the luxury items. Any of us can understand that seats that can massage you is a really cool luxury item and then assess whether or not we want to pay twice the cost for this and the list of other luxury items (I'm not sure if having people massaged while they are driving is the best idea for safety :) ). We can also understand that the long warranty of the Adrenal subwoofer is some of the best around. And things like build quality and the finish of a subwoofer. Maybe I'm just a bit more budget minded though, where it is about performance (not just SPL) and then looks, but that is as far as I can see in terms of the luxury of a subwoofer. It is probably more of an issue of my limitation there than your explanation of the luxury items in the review.

A

accel13

Audiophyte
Are there any reviews scheduled for Arendal 1961 1v? I'm thinking about whether to choose between Arendal 1961 1v dual or svs pb2000pro dual at the same price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are there any reviews scheduled for Arendal 1961 1v? I'm thinking about whether to choose between Arendal 1961 1v dual or svs pb2000pro dual at the same price.
Yes, we have the 1961 1V in house. It will be some time before that review is published though, so don't hold your breath. Might be up sometime in mid-November hopefully.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
That looks like an interesting subwoofer. I’m very suprised that Adrenal puts CEA 2010 measurements on the website. In terms of output the vented Adrenal and SVS pb 2000 pro are very close from 40 Hz and up. The SVS has a 3 to 4 dB advantage below that except when the frequencies get really low where the Adrenal still has output at 12.5 Hz. The price of the Adrenal subwoofer is right in line with SVS. If Adrenal can retain the excellent group delay measurement of the bigger brother just reviewed, it can be an interesting option since I like it’s finish a bit better than the SVS. I’ll be keeping an eye out for the review as well. I was pretty harsh on the bigger brother Adrenal that this thread is accompanying, due to the output not being what I would expect in that price class, but this 1961 model seems to have the output to compete with others in its price class. I have a living room setup where I’m looking for a pair of subs in this price range, so if it measures well, it could be a top contender with the nice finish options on it.

Last edited:
F

FT251

Audiophyte
I will be interested to hear about any of their sealed sub reviews somewhere down the line from you. Particularly the 1723 1s for example. It appears to be very comparable to the SVS Sb 4000. Hopefully over time you will be able to receive other items in their lineup to review. Fingers crossed! Not everyone can fit the larger sized vented subs in their environments.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I will be interested to hear about any of their sealed sub reviews somewhere down the line from you. Particularly the 1723 1s for example. It appears to be very comparable to the SVS Sb 4000. Hopefully over time you will be able to receive other items in their lineup to review. Fingers crossed! Not everyone can fit the larger sized vented subs in their environments.
We are working on a review of the 1961 1S and 1V right now. No plans for any more 1723 sub reviews at the moment, but it's possible that Arendal could send us some if enough people pester them for more reviews from Audioholics.

F

FT251

Audiophyte
We are working on a review of the 1961 1S and 1V right now. No plans for any more 1723 sub reviews at the moment, but it's possible that Arendal could send us some if enough people pester them for more reviews from Audioholics.
There is nothing out there at this time, I have searched high and low. How does one pester them..:)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How does one pester them..
:)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There is nothing out there at this time, I have searched high and low. How does one pester them..:)
They are very good at responding from my experience. I emailed them with a few questions a few months ago and received a quick and polite reply.

T

TrackZ

Audiophyte
Hoping to see these soon as well. I think I have my sub decision narrowed down to either the Arendal 2S or the Rythmik F18. I'm trying to extrapolate what a review would say for the 2S out of the 2V review given they should be super close to the same with a little less SPL and a tad less extension.

I'll be buying dual subs of the same model, whichever I choose. The 2V is a bit too big, and I'm kind of drawn to the sealed designs.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
Hoping to see these soon as well. I think I have my sub decision narrowed down to either the Arendal 2S or the Rythmik F18. I'm trying to extrapolate what a review would say for the 2S out of the 2V review given they should be super close to the same with a little less SPL and a tad less extension.

I'll be buying dual subs of the same model, whichever I choose. The 2V is a bit too big, and I'm kind of drawn to the sealed designs.
It seems like the Rythmik G25 is more comparable price wise to the Adrenal 2s. Something not commonly known is that Salk does a version of this subwoofer for pretty much the same base price as Rythmik using the same driver and amp. What is nice about this option is that the finish is only limited by your imagination. Salk seems to be able to do just about anything you want.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You make the Arendal to be some value leader and it gets trounced by the less costly Rythmik which are known in the industry for providing clean articulate base. Actually there are lots of subs that trounce this one for less. Id rather go down market for the same quality if not better bass that the Arendal delivers. It appears your going for snob appeal rather then real performance.
Reviewers are advertisers of product who typically get paid/sponsored etc by manufacturers. The higher the incentive from manufacturer, the more praise the product typically gets from reviewer. I don't blame them and they need a paycheck at the end of the month just like everyone less. Rythmik makes extremely good stuff, but, last I heard, they don't care diddly squat about reviewers/advertisers or sending product to any reviewer. Their website looks like it's from 1995 and it looks like they care nothing about marketing or advertising. That could explain some things. Either way, there is no substitute for at home auditioning/ listening of product with a good return policy. It's the consumer's fault if he went all in dumb and bought something without a free return after he saw some review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Reviewers are advertisers of product who typically get paid/sponsored etc by manufacturers. The higher the incentive from manufacturer, the more praise the product typically gets from reviewer. I don't blame them and they need a paycheck at the end of the month just like everyone less. Rythmik makes extremely good stuff, but, last I heard, they don't care diddly squat about reviewers/advertisers or sending product to any reviewer. Their website looks like it's from 1995 and it looks like they care nothing about marketing or advertising. That could explain some things. Either way, there is no substitute for at home auditioning/ listening of product with a good return policy. It's the consumer's fault if he went all in dumb and bought something without a free return after he saw some review.
You say that as if its a fact when it couldn't be further from the truth, at least at Audioholics. James Larson gets paid the same fee for every review he does for us, good or bad. He NEVER keeps a single product he reviews for himself. Unless you have proof of such an acquisition about any reviewer, you might want to rethink making such claims.

S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
I take it two PB 3000s would be the better buy for a 27*15*9 family room with 2 doorways for mostly movie watching.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis