Are you Ditching Your Cable Company?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. You guys are saving about $1K or more per year by cutting cable.

Have you noticed a lot of other people also cutting Cable?

I understand if you have little choices.

I wonder how many people continue to pay more money for cable because they are afraid of making changes?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
We cut the cable/sat cord over 7 years ago and never looked back. We have AT&T gig fiber with a total bill of $73.98/month. Also have Netflix and Amazon Prime (can't see the value yet of Disney+). Have an OTA antenna on the roof run through my NAS using HDHomerun and Plex for DVR.

Can't say I'm wild about the AT&T gateway, but the service screams.

We couldn't be happier in our cost savings which is about $220 per month.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I put my D* account on suspension earlier this year after I had my roof done and the satellite had to come off....I noticed I wasn't missing it a whole lot. Finalized that recently. Went with my Netflix which I already had as well as my Amazon Prime subscription, then supplemented the Amazon with HBO and Showtime subscriptions after cutting off D* (and didn't have either with D*). Savings are essentially going to pay for the roof over time :) I get more of what I want, too.

R

Rob_z

Enthusiast
@AcuDefTechGuy
Before reaching a summary judgement on Cox, perhaps another viewpoint is in order.
I ditched cable some 6 years ago now when we bought our new house. New house, ditch the cable and just stream. Its been a wonderful experience and definitely cheaper.
I live in East Mesa and have flipped between the two over the past few years. Had CL’s Prism service with bridged DSL and it was pretty bad. Moved to a new development that had both providers with FTH. Cox wanted $100/mo (1yr price lock?) for 1gb (down) with the 1TB cap but would need a new modem (fiber was just a media conversion to their node). CL was 1gb (both), Ethernet into the house, no cap and $65/mo for life.
In this instance CL finally did better in price and performance without the need to use their equipment so long as your router has IPTV support. The extra $35 savings went to some additional services.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ditched mine last year. I used to wonder why cable companies didn't just give you the option to pay for content you want, instead of flooding you with a crapload of content you don't want, but still pay for to get what you do want. We were just paying too much for a bunch of crap we never watched.

Now with all these streaming services coming out its a lot closer to what I used to wish for. Right now you can have 3 or 4 different streaming services with tons of content you actually want, and it's still less than paying for cable or satellite.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ditched mine last year. I used to wonder why cable companies didn't just give you the option to pay for content you want, instead of flooding you with a crapload of content you don't want, but still pay for to get what you do want. We were just paying too much for a bunch of crap we never watched.

Now with all these streaming services coming out its a lot closer to what I used to wish for. Right now you can have 3 or 4 different streaming services with tons of content you actually want, and it's still less than paying for cable or satellite.
Yeah D* put the most desireable commercial free content at the top of a pyramid of infomercial and cheesy network crapola...seems the media companies follow drug dealer marketing more than anything :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Another entry for $74 ATT fiber. Love the service, hate the gateway...granted DMZ Plus actually works for now so I can't complain too much.

Until they update the firmware again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis