Are YOU an Audioholic? Take the Test!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
127, great thing I got rid of my turntable years ago.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
95 subtotal, 130 Grand Total.

And to think, I feel like I'm just getting started... :confused:

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
90 subtotal. Didn't do or see the extras.
I did lose ten because my music server doesn't do loseless-it does 320/kbps and I couldn't afford the lossless upgrade!
Great Test, Gene!
Interesting comments on the AUDIO part of audioholics. I guess we could be A/V aholics.........but we all list percentages of usage when describing our system. On a scale of importance, music and sound is 66% of what interests me in my system. But my budget forces me to incorporate the visual side of things into my system. Which is a good thing, I think. I would never have discovered sacd's and dvda's without my whole surround sound set up!

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately...

51, and I don't care to know about all that stuff Resident Loser brought up...
...as the saying sorta' goes, those who ignore the history are doomed to repeat it...Take the quad debacle and the current video format wars...

There was a certain near-religious involvement in the ritualistic component of playback. As stated in previous posts, the CD has reduced the process to the equivalent of making toast, which upon reflection is quite apropos the couch-potato status most of us have achieved...Instead of being concerned with real measurable issues such as tracking force, or TT cable capacitance, head alignment, tape formulation and the like, we have the psuedo-tweaki-ness of power cables, bi-wiring and green magic marker...

jimHJJ(...51? Is that your age or test score?...)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
54 total, and no change likely in the near future. Only very borderline, I guess.:cool:

S

samandnoah

Enthusiast
79 plus 80. Pretty reasonable given my investment in time and $. No major dings, but would have had some just a year ago!

Rich

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
...as the saying sorta' goes, those who ignore the history are doomed to repeat it...Take the quad debacle and the current video format wars...

There was a certain near-religious involvement in the ritualistic component of playback. As stated in previous posts, the CD has reduced the process to the equivalent of making toast, which upon reflection is quite apropos the couch-potato status most of us have achieved...Instead of being concerned with real measurable issues such as tracking force, or TT cable capacitance, head alignment, tape formulation and the like, we have the psuedo-tweaki-ness of power cables, bi-wiring and green magic marker...

jimHJJ(...51? Is that your age or test score?...)
or maybe cd is just a higher fidelity, more convenient medium brought about due to advances in technology?
hmmm ;)

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
102+80:eek: At least I think my turntable was less than $300- I bought it in 1985 and it was close to that; so with inflation...

I think there needed to be a section including the amount of vinyl you still own. Maybe a vinyl anonymous support group. No, idon't think vinyl is better, I'm just too cheap to replace all that stuff.

As stated in an earlier post of mine, the disease is ANN, audioholica nirvana nervosa. I have spent my off hours working on a vaccine, but according to this scientific assessment I appear to have infected myself!

Last edited:
T

Tod

Audioholic
90 + 20. I'm OK with a low score like that, but only because I'm a poor student and to some extent financed by student loans. Lord help me if I have a real job...

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

175 + 50 for me so 225, it is work related though so I don't feel so bad! :)
I think there should be a -100 catagory for people who post more than 1 time a day here at AH, (penalize them for not spending enough time with their audio equipment.) :eek:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I was running though Gene's Home page and ran across this very interesting and funny thread! I believe I even found a old photo of Andrew when he was a lot younger its a lil blurry but it sure looks like him :p but I could be wrong my eye sight isn't what it use to be.:D Enjoy! makes for some good throw back reads.

sure looks like him! Andrew! wass it be homey! :p ;)
19876.jpg

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I was running though Gene's Home page and ran across this very interesting and funny thread! I believe I even found a old photo of Andrew when he was a lot younger its a lil blurry but it sure looks like him :p but I could be wrong my eyes sight isn't what use to be.:D Enjoy! makes for some good throw back reads.

sure looks like him! Andrew! wass it be homey! :p ;)
View attachment 44934
What a handsome devil I was in my younger days. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
What a handsome devil I was in my younger days. :D
Some funny post! read some of the old post when you have time.. Read the article some funny sh$t he has for the test questions.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
WOW! This is a great post. I responded here without ever putting in my score to begin with. It is entirely time for an update now that we are 14 years down the road. I mean, you get top points for owning a 1080p display. That's right... 1080p!!!!

Looking at my score now I sit with about a 140 on the main test. I lose points because I always stream audio and don't have much issue with MP3s. They sound fine and I prefer movies. So, I'll take that hit.

My bonus was 220 points though. Yeah, that's what happens when you have 3 full sized equipment racks and 20+ zones of audio throughout your home.

Definitely time for a new version of this one!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
WOW! This is a great post. I responded here without ever putting in my score to begin with. It is entirely time for an update now that we are 14 years down the road. I mean, you get top points for owning a 1080p display. That's right... 1080p!!!!

Looking at my score now I sit with about a 140 on the main test. I lose points because I always stream audio and don't have much issue with MP3s. They sound fine and I prefer movies. So, I'll take that hit.

My bonus was 220 points though. Yeah, that's what happens when you have 3 full sized equipment racks and 20+ zones of audio throughout your home.

Yeah ole Timer! 2004! Gene had more hair!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Right?

I was tryna scribble my answers down on a piece of paper but abandoned that, broke down and printed it off. Haven't filled it out yet, but looks like fun. I'll report back with my results!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL nice resurrection. Had to print it out, too. Total 257

PS One thing that annoyed me....the thing about having large subs being a penalty (or too old to move them without a hand truck :) ). Or needing upconversion....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL nice resurrection. Had to print it out, too. Total 257

PS One thing that annoyed me....the thing about having large subs being a penalty (or too old to move them without a hand truck :) ). Or needing upconversion....
Well, I can still pick my subs up and carry 'em if I have to. It's not very much fun, but I didn't lose points for it.

However, -20 for a HTPC that has worked for more than a month without any major problems?? Why is that a ding? Anyhoo...
Subtotal = 119
Addtl sympt = 70
Grand total = 189

I lost 20 for the HTPC thing tho... I'd be over 200 with that. :oops:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't deduct for my subs because I can still either pick them up or remove drivers or other helpful things when moving :) There were several questionable deductions in various places, even for that time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't deduct for my subs because I can still either pick them up or remove drivers or other helpful things when moving :) There were several questionable deductions in various places, even for that time.
I think BMX nailed it. An update is in order for sure. Quite a few questions are pretty dated, and agree there are some dubious deductions.

I lost out on some points for only having one 5.1 system in the whole house. I barely have a second 2.1 in another room, but it's there and sees fairly regular use. It's my Craigslist speaker finds system, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis