Are YOU an Audioholic? Take the Test!

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
oh yeah, got a 108.

I had to exclude a few things that would have taken me higher because it asked about my main room which is considerably lower budget than my stereo.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ditto. My 'main room' is a hodge podge of older stuff, my den is where the goods live.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I couldn't even include my turtable or components in my stereo, pretty sure those are good for another 20 or 30 points. I did include the stands and rack though.

There should really be something to get points for extra equipment laying around because you couldn't bare to get rid of it or assume you'll have a use for it eventually (ie speakers, amps, receivers, what ever)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well... as a Crestron programmer I have my pretty standard 4 bed/2.5 bath home setup with 10 discrete stereo zones, distributed HDTV throughout the house (4 zones now, up to 8 zones), the (duh) Crestron control system, Middle Atlantic racks for gear... 110" tab-tensioned retractible screen in the same room with the 50" plasma (gotta upgrade that plasma) and, unfortunately, only 5.1 audio, though the room is actually wired to allow 10.2 audio... actually wired for presence speakers, and for center rear channel or L/R rear channels. I have a few subwoofer potential locations in the room so I can get best placement.

But... wait... I lose 10 points for having a Velodyne HGS-18 in the room? Harsh!

If my math is right, then I have a grend total of:

272 points (when counting DVE for screen setup as going beyond a SPL for audio setup)

That's 132 regular points
plus 140 added points

The test is missing the universal remote items, it also misses some bonuses for housing equipment out of the room or completely out of site. Hey, I ran CONDUIT to feed cables... No bonus for that??? ;)

Kind of a bummer I don't get a bonus kicked in for remote control lighting, motorized blackout shades, and fireplace controls. Really wanted to break 300.

majorloser

majorloser

The test is missing the universal remote items, it also misses some bonuses for housing equipment out of the room or completely out of site. Hey, I ran CONDUIT to feed cables... No bonus for that??? ;)

Kind of a bummer I don't get a bonus kicked in for remote control lighting, motorized blackout shades, and fireplace controls. Really wanted to break 300.
YEAH, these are some major bonus points items! Should be worth a few extra. I also think we should get bonus points for movie props.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
What about denile?

Hey! don't call my speaker system "Frankenstien", they're sensitive!!!:D (well my mains are 8ohm/87db @ 1 meter, I guess thats not too sensitve):rolleyes:

50 on the main and +45 on the bonus for a 95 total.

Although i'm not as sick as some others I do suffer from detox while on vacation...;)

SBF1

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
190 (100 sub, 90 bonus)

Geez, I thought I would have scored a lot lower, considering some members Home Theaters are bigger than my entire place.:eek: I have to give credit where it is due: My scorecard would have had a lot negative points on it if it weren't for some of the information I found here over the years.

I'd hate to see how I score on a bicycleaholic test...:rolleyes:

Jack

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
test does seem skewed towards home theater, displays & television. as my sane friends put it, you have a "stereo" problem when: 1) you don't have cable, & the only time you hook up an tv antenna is to watch the colts win the superbowl; 2) you have an uber expensive stereo (their term not mine) & you have a 15 year old sony trinitron; 2a) you finally bought a big screen so we can actually see the tv from where we have to sit in the room so that it sounds right & you returned it; 3) you sold your entire bedroom (4.0) system to have more money for your stereo; 4) you have a bookcase extending out of the living room into your entryway as a accoustic treatment; 5) your dining room table, which you were refinishing, ended up being used as another accoustic treatment; 6) there is foam in your living room, no wait there is alot of foam in your living room; 7) you think that measurement thing (spl meter) is appropriate coffee table decoration; and i think i'm just going to stop there...

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
points for streaming mp3?!
garbage in garbage out!

no points for HDRadio tuner?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
78 main + 85 on additional for a grand total of 163. What is that burning smell?? :p

6kids&adog

6kids&adog

Enthusiast
94 points plus additional 70 bonus - It doesn't look good for me. That score assumes that using the Room EQ "Wizard" program to measure my subs in room response doesn't count as having "magic" in the title of any of my equipment.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Only 2 points!! Ack...

Yes... I got burned for having lossy music (but the ITunes store is Sooo easy to use... and who critically lisens to music on an iPod anyway?) and using the cables that came with my DVD player (yes... but composite is fine for a little old 27" CRT).

The only thing that earned me points was for my HD180s and my Sat Tv... what about my 400+ CD collection and the 50GB of music sitting on my hard drive?? No points for that? And what is wrong with watching most of your movies on a 19" LCD monitor... yes I'm lusting after a 24"... but what the heck... it still is 1280x1080 rez and my viewing distance is approx 2 feet.

Oh.. well.. sux.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Looks like I am at 129 / 100 for a total of 229

My name is Jim and I am an audioholic... Step 1 is to admit you have a problem, right? I don't think I am ready for step 2 yet... I like my problem!!

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I'll have to put out a version 1.2 after I incorporate some of the additional info here. Mostly, though, if you have stuff that isn't listed, find something similar and give yourself the points. It isn't like we had a team of Ph.D.'s working on this or anything.

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
Score: 82 + Additional 30.

What frightens me is that I am just starting to construct the Home Theater in the basement, so that score is just for the system in the living room.

Maybe I do have a problem.... Oh well, I think I can live with that.:D

Pheaton

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
My score is 120. I've heard the term "obsessive/compulsive" bandied about.
That's hurtful...I much prefer the term "really meticulous"

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Gee, I thought I scored pretty high until I started reading the other scores:eek: I scored 81 base and 30 additional. I didn't count the Avia test disc as an additional item, though, as I thought it meant actual equipment ie colorimeter, etc. That could have earned me another 50 pts.

It's OK, Tom, we know this isn't exact science! A 1.2 would be cool when you have the time adding some of the ideas contained herein.;) I have a lot of extra gear that I may :p use at some time as others have mentioned that could add points;) I have a 5.1 system that isn't in use b/c of remodeling, two reel to reels, three cassete decks, a Scott receiver, an eight track:eek: more speakers, a DVD player, two VCRs (Beta and VHS), a 35" CRT, another Sat rcvr, a turntable and a partridge in a pear tree that are all sitting around not in use.

Thanks for the fun, Tom!

PS I didn't add some points for having my dedicated two channel system and my HT in the same main room, either! Does this qualify me as hopeless:eek: :D Sweeeeeeet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis