Are These Finds Good Deals?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You haven't done that already?

I think it's time to admit, that, just like @Danzilla31 you have a port fetish and it will never be satisfied.
I think he needs one Sub with 3-4 ports for that. When he goes all in for the Monolith 16 - Divorce combo, we'll know for certain. :p

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Saw these today. Had the Pioneer center, but never tried the Micca. Don't need, so didn't buy. Be nice for a starter home theater though.
IMG_20220422_200849.jpg
IMG_20220422_200937.jpg
IMG_20220422_201011.jpg
IMG_20220422_201025.jpg

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
Now these look very interesting! I've never heard of them, but I think those are true ribbon tweets. A full 5.2 speaker set with 2 12" subs for $3k. SLS HT28? That's more than I'd like to spend on anything right now, but this looks like a really nice, legit package.

View attachment 55076 View attachment 55077

I am the owner of these speakers. Not much on SLS because it was bought out by Ray Dolby of Dolby Labs along with the in house design bild and patent of this unique planar ribbon tweeter. If you look at some of the Dolby Labs commercial models you'll notice this exact tweeter and driver used and costing thousands more. When you go to the theater to watch a movies in Dolby sound platform's theres a highly probable chance these are the exact tweeters, drivers, & crossovers your hearing. I recently discovered this as I knew there was something special about these speakers. They max out at 800watts each and can add sufficient amount of excellent clear detailed sound to a 100-150 seat auditorium. Or just put them in your own home theater knowing there's probably nobody else out there with as good of a home theater speaker surround sound as yours. Every speaker is working 100% as it should. The tweeters do tend to get a hardly noticeable wave in them but that is completely normal as that's exactly what happens naturally when they are broken in. I do have them posted for $3,000 from $4,000. That is a robbery of a price for what they are because SLS priced them for about half of what Dolby Laboratories sells them for with just a different speaker box design.

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
Those do look nice. It's hard to take a $3,000 gamble though. But I bet they are nice. wonder what they are comparable to?
Those are not really comparable to anything in audio stores. SLS was bought out by Ray Dolby of Dolby Labs. The planar ribbon tweeters are one of a kind. Designed, & built in house by SLS but all inventory and patents bought out by Dolby Labs then used in there commercial line of speakers offered to movie theaters and amphitheaters representing the Dolby surround sound technology. Knowing that it pretty much makes it the pinnacle of a surround sound system speakers. I'm the owner of that SLS ad and just found this out with a couple hours of research. I think the same speakers used in a different Dolby designed speaker box sells or sold for around $,4000-$5,000 per speaker.

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
These SLS speakers have me curious. They look(ed?) like a high end commercial outfit. They do use true ribbon tweeters and those are 8" drivers. They're supposedly clean, accurate high output speakers.
SLS was bought out by Ray Dolby of Dolby Labs. The planar ribbon tweeters are one of a kind. Designed, & built in house by SLS but all inventory and patents bought out by Dolby Labs then used in there commercial line of speakers offered to movie theaters and amphitheaters representing the Dolby surround sound technology. Knowing that it pretty much makes it the pinnacle of a surround sound system speakers. I'm the owner of that SLS ad and just found this out with a couple hours of research. I think the same speakers used in a different Dolby designed speaker box sells or sold for around $,4000-$5,000 per speaker.

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
I found very little about them.

There's almost as much info in the ad as on the website.
SLS was bought out by Ray Dolby of Dolby Labs. The planar ribbon tweeters are one of a kind. Designed, & built in house by SLS but all inventory and patents bought out by Dolby Labs then used in there commercial line of speakers offered to movie theaters and amphitheaters representing the Dolby surround sound technology. Knowing that it pretty much makes it the pinnacle of a surround sound system speakers. I'm the owner of that SLS ad and just found this out with a couple hours of research. I think the same speakers used in a different Dolby designed speaker box sells or sold for around $,4000-$5,000 per speaker.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Just by chance (I know this is a long shot) but was SLS bought out by that Ray dude from Dolby Labs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I get it. They got bought out by Dolby labs, lol. Those do look very interesting and I believe they're very nice speakers. I happen to own speakers that use true ribbon tweets as well, tho from a different company.

Just out of curiosity do you know the specs for those? Frequency range, impedance ect.? Sealed or ported? I'm assuming sealed and meant to be crossed over to a sub so a f3 of 80-60 hz? The description in the ad doesn't give us much to go by.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
This GREAT thread has run a bit stale so wanted to poke the fire,

Ran out of spaces indoors so really enhanced my backyard setup. I had wired speakers when we built our house but hadn't used it leveraging a bluetooth of late. But I got a deal on some nice hanging outdoor Klipsch AW650 and AW525 speakers (they are good) and complemented with some Rock speakers recently

Got a pair of these Rockustics Rockquette speakers new in box for $50. They retail for over $300 each.

Funny the outdoor speaker market is limited so you can get some good deals. I think most people just use bluetooth but if you are wired we know it's better.

Anyways, I was fired up to get them for $50.

1652844627057.png

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Anyone in DC/Northern Virginia area, there's a 3-day estate sale this weekend, with a pair of Canton CT-90's and a Luxman CD player and receiver.

No clue on price or anything. EstateSales.NET

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

Ran out of spaces indoors so really enhanced my backyard setup. I had wired speakers when we built our house but hadn't used it leveraging a bluetooth of late. But I got a deal on some nice hanging outdoor Klipsch AW650 and AW525 speakers (they are good) and complemented with some Rock speakers recently

Got a pair of these Rockustics Rockquette speakers new in box for $50. They retail for over $300 each.

Funny the outdoor speaker market is limited so you can get some good deals. I think most people just use bluetooth but if you are wired we know it's better.

View attachment 56105
By the way, these Rockustics outdoor rock speakers are nice! It was a steal.

One of my daughters actually said she would be interested in some speakers for her college house her friends will be renting next school year. I am excited to built her a system (small) but wanted it to be disposable till she gets her own place after graduation

Here's what I got for $80

Polk CSIa6 like new for $30. I actually have the cherry one in my bedroom with RtiA7's and it's a good bedroom setup. It's not a terrible center so was greatful to get this at the price

1654829150871.png

Ok now for towers, I'm not super happy with these. But when I added the center after the fact, I think this can work for a college living room setup. And I only paid $50. (I can flip them for that tomorrow I'm guessing and might if I can get a higher model) These are polk TSI300's. Just 3 5" and a 1" tweeter. I think they will work with the center supporting the vocals but I wouldn't use these myselfs. This is a good reminder that my cheap Infinity's are SOO much better.

1654829270459.png

Anyways $80 for a front setup for her. I could have done better but not for $80 probably.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If I had a bigger house I would still like to own a pair of JBL L300. Fabulous sounding speakers. Sure are going for a lot of money though. (C$6500) That's a 15" woofer BTW.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General

View attachment 56105
That's a great deal. They look like ancient coral reefs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If I had a bigger house I would still like to own a pair of JBL L300. Fabulous sounding speakers. Sure are going for a lot of money though. (C$6500) That's a 15" woofer BTW.

Have you ever listened to a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19, a 2-way loudspeaker with a 2nd order crossover at 800 Hz? It is a better sounding loudspeaker to my ears. Both RCA and CBS (Columbia) labels were using speakers having the same components as monitors for their disc recordings:
Altec Model 19.jpg

Possibly, if you are patient, they might show on Canuck audio Mart or eBay at a decent price.

I used to have three front speakers in my HT which used the exact same components, which by the way are the same drivers and horns as the ones installed in the famous A7 "Voice of the Theater" cabinets.. In my rather small living room, they projected a little bit too much to my liking and I replaced them with a 3-way system with an AMT tweeter , two 5¼ inch midbass drivers and one sub, using the same cabinets.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have you ever listened to a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19, a 2-way loudspeaker with a 2nd order crossover at 800 Hz? It is a better sounding loudspeaker to my ears. Both RCA and CBS (Columbia) labels were using speakers having the same components as monitors for their disc recordings:View attachment 56507

Possibly, if you are patient, they might show on Canuck audio Mart or eBay at a decent price.

I used to have three front speakers in my HT which used the exact same components, which by the way the same drivers as the ones installed in the famous A7 "Voice of the Theater" cabinets.. In my rather small living room, they projected a little bit too much to my liking and I replaced them with a 3-way system with an AMT tweeter , two 5¼ inch midbass drivers and one sub, using the same cabinets.
Actually there are a pair for sale just one hour away from where I live. ;) Asking C$3,950. They look to be in good condition for their age but I just don't have room for those beasts.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Actually there are a pair for sale just one hour away from where I live. ;) Asking C$3,950. They look to be in good condition for their age but I just don't have room for those beasts.
It's really unfortunate that you don't have the space. I'm sure you would have loved them.

You want to hear them? Why don't you show a certain interest and try to arrange with seller a meeting to do so? You would have a free good experience. Bring one of your preferred CDs if you go. :)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
By the way, these Rockustics outdoor rock speakers are nice! It was a steal.

One of my daughters actually said she would be interested in some speakers for her college house her friends will be renting next school year. I am excited to built her a system (small) but wanted it to be disposable till she gets her own place after graduation

Here's what I got for $80

Polk CSIa6 like new for $30. I actually have the cherry one in my bedroom with RtiA7's and it's a good bedroom setup. It's not a terrible center so was greatful to get this at the price

View attachment 56491

Ok now for towers, I'm not super happy with these. But when I added the center after the fact, I think this can work for a college living room setup. And I only paid $50. (I can flip them for that tomorrow I'm guessing and might if I can get a higher model) These are polk TSI300's. Just 3 5" and a 1" tweeter. I think they will work with the center supporting the vocals but I wouldn't use these myselfs. This is a good reminder that my cheap Infinity's are SOO much better.

View attachment 56492

Anyways $80 for a front setup for her. I could have done better but not for $80 probably.
update on these little tsi300 towers, duh the reason they sounded like crap was the metal jumpers were not on there. I didn’t notice and frankly maybe the seller didn’t either. I made jumpers out of speaker wire and WOW! These little buggers are actually sounding amazingly good for the 25 each I paid fir them. They will work grest

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
After hearing the Monitor Audio Gold and JBL HDI-3600 and then returning home to hear my Paradigms, I lost the bug to buy new speakers. Then saw this ad for Legacy Audio Classic HD. C$7800 retail and he's asking C$4800 and they're only 10 months old. Would likely be an end game speaker for me. My wife is lucky he's out in Calgary Alberta and not in Ontario. I better refrain from calculating shipping costs. :D

I don't think he has the centre as this photo looks vaguely familiar and it's not listed. Matching centre would be about C$2,500 new. Would be a killer front stage though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After hearing the Monitor Audio Gold and JBL HDI-3600 and then returning home to hear my Paradigms, I lost the bug to buy new speakers. Then saw this ad for Legacy Audio Classic HD. C$7800 retail and he's asking C$4800 and they're only 10 months old. Would likely be an end game speaker for me. My wife is lucky he's out in Calgary Alberta and not in Ontario. I better refrain from calculating shipping costs. :D

I don't think he has the centre as this photo looks vaguely familiar and it's not listed. Matching centre would be about C$2,500 new. Would be a killer front stage though.
I would advise caution. I have heard a few Legacy speakers over the years, and have been distinctly under whelmed. I have a friend here in Eagan who has a set of Legacy di-pole speakers. I am negatively impressed by those, and they did not measure well for Stereophile, but the author liked them. Personally I would not give them house room. Certainly not worth nearly 40K.

I can only find an on axis FR of your intended purchase and that is not good. It is from HT, and your intended purchase is the purple trace.

I would say there is a red flag there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis