Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
By itself it isn’t necessarily worth the cost of buying drivers and an amp.
Plus I don't necessarily have to buy an amp. Running the math @Verdinut figures I can hit 125 dB with 2 x 300 watts. That really should be plenty given that I have 3 more subs to share the load.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Here is a smokin' deal on some Elac Adantes - $1K for speakers and stands (MRRP $3100). If I already did not have a pair... Terrible pictures, though.
1649336239226.png

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That’s gotta be a DIY. It just doesn’t look like anything I would expect from a company like SVS. Their older stuff that I’ve seen isn’t Duratex. Plate Amp and Ports where they are visible?
Anyway, maybe it’s just a matte black or satin finish.
Still…
So weird. Maybe they were prototyping something?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
That’s gotta be a DIY. It just doesn’t look like anything I would expect from a company like SVS. Their older stuff that I’ve seen isn’t Duratex. Plate Amp and Ports where they are visible?
Anyway, maybe it’s just a matte black or satin finish.
Still…
So weird. Maybe they were prototyping something?
Very weird configuration wouldn’t the drivers have a SVS stamp on them .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A dual SVS PB12 NSD? This is new to me! Guy wants 500 bucks for it.

View attachment 55320

Geeze, you people are lazy :D ...
Purchased and reviewed by a forum member in 2006 but sadly no photos:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/review-coming-svs-pb12-nsd-2.22170/
The port and amp placement look correct according to this manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/166880/Svs-Pb12-Nsd-2.html#manual
This appears to be a downward firing sub but the ad does not show the bottom stand.
Here is an old ad on CanuckAudioMart.
And an old ad on USAudioMart.
This UKAudioMart ad shows the drivers (no logo).

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A dual SVS PB12 NSD? This is new to me! Guy wants 500 bucks for it.

View attachment 55320

Don’t remember an NSD version, but they definitely made a plus2 version. Looks like this guy has removed the base plate. Should look like this…

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Don’t remember an NSD version, but they definitely made a plus2 version. Looks like this guy has removed the base plate. Should look like this…

Thanks for posting this now it makes sense lol . I kind of like the wood grain look too .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc that one is rosewood. I almost bought the pb12 plus2 in rosewood. Where I screwed up was showing my wife the mock-up. Oopsies!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Wait, so those drivers are supposed to be down firing then? That would make more sense with respect to the orientation of the ports and plate.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Wait, so those drivers are supposed to be down firing then? That would make more sense with respect to the orientation of the ports and plate.
Yea I believe so It had me thinking it was some kind of home build .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ya... That makes a LOT more sense to me.
Too bad they don't show the finish on the "for show" sides.
Says in the description that the power toggle is broken or doesn't work anymore, but auto on/off still works. That and missing the pedestal I think 5 hundo is asking a bit much. If it still plays like it should I'll bet it still holds up today tho. Could make for a fine 4th subwoofer addition for say, $300...

Now, assuming that the toggle switch is not functioning and it's stuck on standby isn't it not good to be unplugging and plugging the power cord unless it's toggled off-off? Like all the way off. I know you can kill a subwoofer plugging it in while the amp is turned on.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Says in the description that the power toggle is broken or doesn't work anymore, but auto on/off still works. That and missing the pedestal I think 5 hundo is asking a bit much. If it still plays like it should I'll bet it still holds up today tho. Could make for a fine 4th subwoofer addition for say, $300...

Now, assuming that the toggle switch is not functioning and it's stuck on standby isn't it not good to be unplugging and plugging the power cord unless it's toggled off-off? Like all the way off. I know you can kill a subwoofer plugging it in while the amp is turned on.
Yeah, they are down firing.
To me, this is a pretty good deal. Especially considering that a speedwoofer is almost 500 bucks. That svs would destroy it!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, they are down firing.
To me, this is a pretty good deal. Especially considering that a speedwoofer is almost 500 bucks. That svs would destroy it!
Man... I could put it to use and just go full on overkill in my living room, lol.

500 bucks tho... phew. Missing the pedestal and a broken toggle switch I'll bet I could talk him down. Then I'd have a real frankensetup on my hands, lol. 2 HSU, 1 RBH and 1 SVS... On the upside they're all ported, similarly tuned and should work together right..? Man, I dunno.

And yeah, about that toggle switch. Isn't it bad to plug and unplug the power cord unless it's toggled all the way off? I fried a subwoofer doing that a long time ago. Like more than ten years ago. I was dusting and bumped the power cord while it was on, panicked, grabbed the cord real quick and plugged it right back in. No more subwoofer. I dunno what I was thinking. Well... I wasn't thinking. I just did it reflexively and didn't think. I shoulda turned it off first. Total brainfart.

That sub sucked anyway tho, and I did a very poor job setting it up so I figured bass was overrated and didn't replace it. I think it was a MTX. Don't remember the model but it was 12" and sealed. Took me over ten years to get more subwoofage. :oops:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man... I could put it to use and just go full on overkill in my living room, lol.

500 bucks tho... phew. Missing the pedestal and a broken toggle switch I'll bet I could talk him down. Then I'd have a real frankensetup on my hands, lol. 2 HSU, 1 RBH and 1 SVS... On the upside they're all ported, similarly tuned and should work together right..? Man, I dunno.

And yeah, about that toggle switch. Isn't it bad to plug and unplug the power cord unless it's toggled all the way off? I fried a subwoofer doing that a long time ago. Like more than ten years ago. I was dusting and bumped the power cord while it was on, panicked, grabbed the cord real quick and plugged it right back in. No more subwoofer. I dunno what I was thinking. Well... I wasn't thinking. I just did it reflexively and didn't think. I shoulda turned it off first. Total brainfart.

That sub sucked anyway tho, and I did a very poor job setting it up so I figured bass was overrated and didn't replace it. I think it was a MTX. Don't remember the model but it was 12" and sealed. Took me over ten years to get more subwoofage. :oops:
But…
”once you know you can never go back” RHCP

Yeah I’d talk him down if ya can. Who needs a “bass” plate anyway lol. You could easily just screw some feet on it, or a piece of ply and round the edges or sump’n. Also, digi-key pro has a switch for less than two bucks. Jus sayin… lol. Besides. I can tell you’ve been bored, and need a reason to bust out the mini!!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Pogre have you asked if he has the pedestal? He says in the ad that he bought it new, so he would have had it at one time. It looks like he sat it vertically to save space. From the old ads that I posted, it appears that there were different versions as I've seen two different styles of drivers and one set with the SVS logo on the dust caps. If you look closely at his photo, you can see 6 screw heads in the base where the pedestal would have been mounted.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis