Are These Finds Good Deals?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
By all I can see, the bracing may be the only concern I have. For some reason I thought you mentioned somewhere what sounded like he built to vented chambers in a single cabinet.
Fixing a whole on the back of the cabinet should be pretty easy, and doesn't need to be as pretty, unless you will be showing it off. ;)

That is a centerpiece Sub, likely meant to go Center-Front under the screen with a Center sitting on top.

His workmanship looks nice in that photo.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could get the DCA 1622 for $699 from Socalcinetech. Another good place to verify with is Cinenext. EverettT got his several years ago from them at a good price. This amp is only sold by theater equipment distributors.
I would love to get any QSC amp. I know how good they are, but I'm already in ridiculous land thinking about spending 50 bucks on the box, lol. As many subs as I have I think 2 of my Monolith's spare amp channels will be able to handle it. I won't need to max it out and I have 3 other subs to add to the spl mix.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
By all I can see, the bracing may be the only concern I have. For some reason I thought you mentioned somewhere what sounded like he built to vented chambers in a single cabinet.
Fixing a whole on the back of the cabinet should be pretty easy, and doesn't need to be as pretty, unless you will be showing it off. ;)

That is a centerpiece Sub, likely meant to go Center-Front under the screen with a Center sitting on top.

His workmanship looks nice in that photo.
Here we go.

"It was designed for the Dayton audio reference series 15in subs. Each side has 8.9 cubic feet of volume. The port is tuned for 20hz, not folded. The front is double 3/4 in and it has some internal bracing. It's BIG."

"I built the back with a specific amp in mind. It failed after a few months and they stopped making it. So I decided to go with different amps and with a smaller sealed cabinet.
"

That's his reply. Seems like a nice enough guy and wouldn't mind answering another question or 2...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I know, I know... I understand the potential here. It's the only reason I'm even considering it. That's cheap for just the materials for a big sub cab, let alone already cut and put together!

Man oh man oh man. There is possibly a big cutout in the back for a plate amp that'd need patched. Plus it's all the way out in Prescott valley. A coupkemhours drive one way. I'd hate to drive all the way out there and find out it's crap construction. I'm gonna re upload the pic here...

View attachment 55098

Are the drivers sharing the whole volume or are they sectioned off in the middle? That port in the middle looks like it could be 2 different ports, one for each chamber. If I read him right he doubled up on 3/4" mdf for the baffle.

*Looks like there's some damping material in there too.
It seems to be damped. Keep in mind that a subwoofer cabinet needs minimum damping material, as wave lengths of subwoofer frequencies are way longer than any dimension of the box.
With regard to the port opening, I believe it's just a brace that we see.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like it under the TV with the center sitting on top of it too. Move the Hsus to the back of the room and keep RBH nearfield!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like it under the TV with the center sitting on top of it too. Move the Hsus to the back of the room and keep RBH nearfield!
Where is your money spot for best measurement?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My suspicion is that is how dude intended it. I think he just failed on using a Plate Amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Damn dood. Gussy it up a li'l and it'd make a right fine coffee table too!
Actually, about 15 years ago, I built a 8 cubic foot coffee table cabinet in which I had installed a 15" subwoofer facing down. It worked well but not performing at par with Reference Series Daytons.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Two ports can share a common opening.
I sent some more questions and he replied. I think this is the case. *I think* the chambers are separate but share the same port opening. Tho his reply is still kinda fuzzy, damnit.

"two separate cabinets. the back is cut for an amp but its not part of the volume.

its 75inx25in. it has some carpet padding inside, but i did stuff it with poly fill

3/4 mdf. yes double baffle"

Back is cut for an amp but not part of the volume? I asked if it would need patched and sealed and he didn't really answer that... I still have questions...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Smart designers keep the plate amp in a closed compartment so the electronics aren’t getting pummeled by the backwave.
From the sound of it, you could just cover that amp enclosure with a thin piece of hardboard or aluminum cut to fit. Or leave it open.

It’s an intriguing package. By itself it isn’t necessarily worth the cost of buying drivers and an amp. I get the temptation and if available near me I would be considering it too. The cost of wood and labor time really bite hard; saving that is the sexy part here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis