Are These Finds Good Deals?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It could be that the grills kept cigarette smoke from sticking.

A simple taste test would settle this.
Oooooooo!
The highly sought nicotine patina!
And it's not just cosmetic ... it even adds a little tackiness to prevent them from slipping out of your hands.
Happy, happy! Joy, joy!:)

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Orly? Thanks Zieg!

@KenM10759, what's your take on these Halfers I'm looking at for $100? I'm very, very tempted to make an offer.
I love them, but it's more emotional than sound quality that attracts. The Vifa tweeters probably need either ferro fliud change or replacement, fortunately a nearly exact Peerless Tympany one is available. Or, perhaps it's tired capacitors on crossivers.

The woofers don't pound like modern ones, limited excursion. Despite that, the speakers are very easy to listen to and can play fairly loud without terrible distortion.

If the thick oak veneer finish seems faded, a good treatment with (Hafler recommended) Watson's Danish Oil can probably restore it to even. It doesn't fade in the way a cherry finish can.

That's a really great price! Snap them up!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Check this out guys...

download_20191117_121817-1612x1209.jpg
download_20191117_121821-1209x1612.jpg

Those are the PhaseTechs I found for 15 bucks. I put the socks on and holy cow... I wouldn't be embarrassed to have these in my living room! I just need to finish the tops and they're good to go! They sound great too!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These PhaseTech 7Ts are really impressing me.

I have them hooked up and jamming out to some TOOL. I got 'em cranked and they sound fantastic! They dig pretty deep too, you can easily get away listening to music without a subwoofer. Imaging is very good, highs are a little more forward than my Ultra towers, but not exaggerated or harsh at all. Mids and vocals are very clear, bass is tight and clean and there's plenty enough to give me some very satisfying chest thump!

I'm enjoying them a little too much. The Ultras are in the corners just glaring at me right now... lol. I don't think I'm even going to try and sell the PhaseTechs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a real amateur job! Those are low quality non polarizing caps. I would replace those with Solen polypropylene caps. Now you are into DIY you have money to spend on decent quality components. DIY is not really about cheap speakers, but mainly far better ones for the money.
@TLS Guy, my newfound enthusiasm for these speakers has me very motivated to make some of the modifications you suggested. I'm really liking them and if sonic improvements can be made to them, holy cow. Sometime this week I'm gonna take one apart, pull the crossover out and take some good pics. I already bought the little alligator clip stand you linked me to. I'll get a better than 6 dollar 60w soldering iron and the right solder for the job. Can you recommend which solder (for dummies-type, size, etc.) I should get?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just found a Crown SLX 602 for $50. A quick search tells me it's worth a lot more, provided it works properly. It's in with a bunch of other miscellaneous audio gear. Should I jump on that? I don't need it but it looks like a smoking deal. Future sub build maybe..?

00K0K_7TiRIQHZjiD_600x450.jpg
00t0t_5VYgWl7z9j6_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the kind of stuff I find and wonder why I torture myself like this. A pair of well cared for and in great cosmetic shape Infinity Interlude IL40s, $150 for the pair. I know by reputation these are great speakers and worth the asking price. I could probably even get him down to $100 - 125 but it's still to much for me to spend just to scratch my itch.

00R0R_f07dm7DwKIO_600x450.jpg

00F0F_7PCnZ2ep4CV_600x450.jpg

00l0l_f8eVjPGyPwq_600x450.jpg

Still... so tempting.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Don’t know man, all
I could see was that palm tree in the yard....and BLUE sky!!!!!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
This is the kind of stuff I find and wonder why I torture myself like this. A pair of well cared for and in great cosmetic shape Infinity Interlude IL40s, $150 for the pair. I know by reputation these are great speakers and worth the asking price. I could probably even get him down to $100 - 125 but it's still to much for me to spend just to scratch my itch.
Worth the price -- I wish that seller was in my area, because of the Sony ES -- but my Integra 50.2 is still doing good.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am still confused on what the Opel bookshelf speakers are -- never heard of them

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Worth the price -- I wish that seller was in my area, because of the Sony ES -- but my Integra 50.2 is still doing good.
I'm really tempted to go check out that Crown amp. It looks like it could power a pair of diy subs pretty nicely. I wonder what @lovinthehd would think about it? He seems to like his Crowns a lot. Different models tho...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm really tempted to go check out that Crown amp. It looks like it could power a pair of diy subs pretty nicely. I wonder what @lovinthehd would think about it? He seems to like his Crowns a lot. Different models tho...
That's a different XLS series than I have (I have the Drive Core 1500s myself),believe it's an AB amp and no idea what fan noise is like for this model (altho I seem to remember reading comments that they're somewhat noisy but for a separate room/enclosed rack might be fine). Seems about same power as a current XLS1502.

ps For $50 I'd pick it up for sure, can always figure out a way to use it....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just found a Crown SLX 602 for $50. A quick search tells me it's worth a lot more, provided it works properly. It's in with a bunch of other miscellaneous audio gear. Should I jump on that? I don't need it but it looks like a smoking deal. Future sub build maybe..?

View attachment 32439View attachment 32440
The EV AP2600A is also a good reliable Pro Audio power amp, not as powerful as the XLS 602 (Bridged at 8 ohms, it outputs 600W). Its fan is a little bit noisy but if your listening position is more than 10 ft, you shouldn't hear it. I used to have one to drive a previous subwoofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis