Are These Finds Good Deals?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
To further my point... in Mark's own words...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
@zieglj01, what's the story with these Jordan Watts Jupiter speakers?

Seller's asking $400.
TLS Guy is the expert on Jordan Watts drivers ... they do look interesting ... I would say one also needs to listen with their ears and decide ... they should be heavy

If you have google translate

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pair of HK 20s for $120.
The HK Twenty are pretty good speakers and worth a listen ... I have owned the HK Ten ... they can be a little bright sounding but not harsh sounding ... they can still beat a lot of speakers today ... note: they were made for Harman Kardon by Audio Products International (API) in Canada, who owned Mirage, Energy, and Athena speakers ... and also note that someone else put the felt ring on the tweeter, HK did not do that.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Bose 10.2 Series 2:

Seems to be regarded as Bose's best ever speaker and built with flat response as well as ultrawide dispersion in mind. If I still had my Allison's I might have gone for these, to compare the two.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have a friend closing out a used items business and he had two KEF 103.2 speakers! Some cosmetic damage on the corners (top right, bottom left) but the drivers look ok. These seem to get very good reviews still, so I can't wait to get them home and give them a spin. No idea what they are worth, especially since the cabinets look a little beat up, but I'm not too bad at wood repairs and refinishing. Fortunately the grills are not torn.
Still listed on the US KEF web site here.
20210326_140100_copy_1134x2016.jpg
20210326_140023_copy_1134x2016.jpg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have a friend closing out a used items business and he had two KEF 103.2 speakers! Some cosmetic damage on the corners (top right, bottom left) but the drivers look ok. These seem to get very good reviews still, so I can't wait to get them home and give them a spin. No idea what they are worth, especially since the cabinets look a little beat up, but I'm not too bad at wood repairs and refinishing. Fortunately the grills are not torn.
Still listed on the US KEF web site here.
View attachment 45966View attachment 45967
Some old vintage KEFs! They look similar to the ones I found a few posts back. An updated (to the 80s, lol) version.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Have a friend closing out a used items business and he had two KEF 103.2 speakers! Some cosmetic damage on the corners (top right, bottom left) but the drivers look ok. These seem to get very good reviews still, so I can't wait to get them home and give them a spin. No idea what they are worth, especially since the cabinets look a little beat up
There are 5 pairs for sale on Ebay from between $400 to $525 ... even the $400 seems optimistic to me

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There are 5 pairs for sale on Ebay from between $400 to $525 ... even the $400 seems optimistic to me
On closer inspection, one speaker must have been sitting upside down on wet carpet, because there is water damage on top. Idiot! The bases extend 1/2" below the veneer edge and would have prevented any damage if sitting right side up. I listened to them for a good 3 or 4 hours. Quite nice sounding actually. Rich bottom end but lacking a little detail in the highs, but that's typical for soft dome tweeters of that era. Would be nice for a beginner hi-fi setup or spare system.

Question is, what are they worth with water damage? Drivers are fine but cabinets need a lot of work. 2 chipped corners on one, and the water damage swelled the top panel so that the veneer is 1/16" higher than the edge panels. To restore these I would have to plane the veneer top flat and glue new walnut veneer down, rebuild the chipped corners and patch with veneer, and then refinish all surfaces. It's within my abilities, but with speakers condition is everything. I don't want to insult him with a low ball offer, but in this condition I don't think they are worth more than $50? Any comments appreciated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
On closer inspection, one speaker must have been sitting upside down on wet carpet, because there is water damage on top. Idiot! The bases extend 1/2" below the veneer edge and would have prevented any damage if sitting right side up. I listened to them for a good 3 or 4 hours. Quite nice sounding actually. Rich bottom end but lacking a little detail in the highs, but that's typical for soft dome tweeters of that era. Would be nice for a beginner hi-fi setup or spare system.

Question is, what are they worth with water damage? Drivers are fine but cabinets need a lot of work. 2 chipped corners on one, and the water damage swelled the top panel so that the veneer is 1/16" higher than the edge panels. To restore these I would have to plane the veneer top flat and glue new walnut veneer down, rebuild the chipped corners and patch with veneer, and then refinish all surfaces. It's within my abilities, but with speakers condition is everything. I don't want to insult him with a low ball offer, but in this condition I don't think they are worth more than $50? Any comments appreciated.
If the top panel got wet all the way through and swelled I'd wonder if it would have an effect of making it less dense and cause issues with resonances or something along those lines. Got a pic of the damage? If they're too far gone they might be ready for recycling...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
On closer inspection, one speaker must have been sitting upside down on wet carpet, because there is water damage on top. Idiot! The bases extend 1/2" below the veneer edge and would have prevented any damage if sitting right side up.

$60-$75 if you want to be nice

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If the top panel got wet all the way through and swelled I'd wonder if it would have an effect of making it less dense and cause issues with resonances or something along those lines. Got a pic of the damage? If they're too far gone they might be ready for recycling...
Water mark extends down about 1/4". Wood expanded under 1/16". I drove them pretty hard a few times including some Audioslave which was bass heavy. Seemed to hold up ok.
20210328_172219_copy_907x1612[1].jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
And the next thrift store find. A pair of Wharfedale PPX-1 picture frame speakers, without the matching PPS-1 subwoofer. Listened to them for the afternoon and these are not main speaker replacements, despite what other forums say. :D They don't go very deep and have poor sensitivity. Kept my subwoofer turned on, but could have turned up the crossover point higher for these. Had to crank the power up a lot to get the volume near what I like for music and ended up having to turn my sub down a lot to match. I didn't hang them on the wall, so that likely had a negative impact as these probably need to couple with the wall to sound better. Sound quality was average.

I may have a use for them though. Since the couch is against the back wall, my surrounds are mounted in the ceiling, and I have an unused channel for front height. The Wharfedale's are only 1.5" thick, so I can hang them on the wall behind the couch for surrounds and then move my ceiling speakers to the front, changing from a 5.1 setup to 7.1 with front height speakers. Current setup pictured here. I'll have to move one of my anime cels to make room, but these speakers have a unique feature. Apparently you can print a photo on light weight paper and use a low tack spray mount adhesive to glue it on the front, and the sound is not supposed to change. They sound good enough for surround effects and handle 70W. Most of the wiring is in place too. No rush but might make a fun project this spring.
20210328_144114s.jpg
20210328_144144s.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for another one of these RBH 1212s. I'd love to have them both up front and move the HSUs to the rear.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could get lucky! Might take a while, tho.
I'll tell ya, it made me a believer in passive subwoofers. It's really nice knowing I don't have to necessarily worry if an amp goes and it'll basically last forever if taken care of. I do think they're overpriced at retail tho. At least factoring performance. Not that it's an poor performer, but over $3k is pushing it. It's very beautiful tho and I'm sure a lot of the cost goes toward that aesthetic with the cabinet shape and finish

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll tell ya, it made me a believer in passive subwoofers. It's really nice knowing I don't have to necessarily worry if an amp goes and it'll basically last forever if taken care of. I do think they're overpriced at retail tho. At least factoring performance. Not that it's an poor performer, but over $3k is pushing it. It's very beautiful tho and I'm sure a lot of the cost goes toward that aesthetic with the cabinet shape and finish
More a difference in amp location and dsp/adjustments in an amp than an actual difference in the sub itself....they were more attractive at 2300 but still kinda pricey but they do have nice boxes....

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

The cabinet is the largest materials expense of modern speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Some stuff I saw. Didn't stay long maybe 25min. Didn't get anything there. Cool stuff for beginners.
IMG_29032021_155035_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

IMG_29032021_155051_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg
IMG_29032021_155121_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg
IMG_29032021_155714_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg
IMG_29032021_155156_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg
IMG_29032021_155257_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis