Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly I personally think the best out of both series is the S-38’s in the one or two versions a true matched pair monitor.
I've seen those talked about before. Kind of an odd driver orientation right?

*PS, yup these are what I was thinking of.

jblbook.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yea. The coppers were version 1.
Northridge is to studio, as prime is to ultra.

If you don’t have anything to do, you can find reviews of the 312 and 412 out there. Like most JBL speakers they perform well beyond their price class. Most all of Greg Timbers speakers were pretty damn good. I know my 312’s aren’t be all end all but imo upgrading them will cost a lot. It’s why I still have them I guess.
Agreed there excellent! I have herd of the amps going bad in the 412’s tho .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

View attachment 52195

Yes. Here’s one of my old ones. Could be used vertically too. The little JBL logo was spring mounted so you could reorient it for how the speaker was set up.
I have to say the s38 has a crazy ability to image. Creepy actually. I miss them actually, but mr boat has been taking good care of them.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

View attachment 52195
Yes I use these as front heights . There odd because there built in a true monitor configuration you can switch them for a wide sound stage or put the tweeter’s on the outside for a wider sound stage . I have the copper colored in this setup . They sound unreal and take tons of power !

Attachments

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Yes. Here’s one of my old ones. Could be used vertically too. The little JBL logo was spring mounted so you could reorient it for how the speaker was set up.
I have to say the s38 has a crazy ability to image. Creepy actually. I miss them actually, but mr boat has been taking good care of them.
I thought it was you that had them lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I thought you had those!

You guys sent me spiraling down a JBL rabbit hole and I stumbled across this crazy sumbitch. The 1957 D44000 Paragon all in one stereo speaker.

ranger-paragon.jpg

section.jpg

I read that collectors will pay in the neighborhood of $20k for one of those in good shape!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you had those!

You guys sent me spiraling down a JBL rabbit hole and I stumbled across this crazy sumbitch. The 1957 D44000 Paragon all in one stereo speaker.

View attachment 52198

View attachment 52197

I read that collectors will pay in the neighborhood of $20k for one of those in good shape!
It’s like a bose wave radio! Those losers!!!! Stole the idea from JBL.

That thing is pretty cool.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was originally meant to be the center flanked by another stereo pair on each side but size and cost was too prohibitive so they streamlined it. Here's the article I found.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis