Are there speakers that can be powered only by an mp3 players audio signal like headphones?

A

alberts son

Audiophyte
I need to find some speakers that don't have to be powered, the same way that headphones and earbuds work. Are there small speakers where this is possible? They don't need to be very loud. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers have to be powered one way or the other....and the ones with their own amplification are called active speakers. Check out JBL LSR305 or 308 models for example....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The practical answer is no, a line signal does not have sufficient current to drive speakers. The technical answer is I bet there are some very high sensitivity that could produce some sound from a line level signal, like a Klipschorn. But those are not small speakers, to say the least.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or do you mean not any AC power at all for portability, like a battery powered speaker?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I need to find some speakers that don't have to be powered, the same way that headphones and earbuds work.
I guess you don’t understand that the headphones and earbuds are “powered” too. At the end of the jack on the mp3 player that you plug them into is a tiny, low-powered amplifier. The closest thing you’re going to find is a small battery-powered Bluetooth speaker. Get one that has a line input – that way you can connect the mp3 player’s headphone jack to it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Years ago, I ran a pair of Klipsch la Scalas from the headphone jack of a boom box while we were waiting for my amps to arrive. Everyone in the dorm thought we had a big stereo. They were not small by any means though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis