Are there any DTS 7.1 tiltles on dvd ?

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Yes, I do and I would put Dan L Fedric Jr in that category. The 'EX' you are talking about is Thx Ultra 2 and it is a matrix decoding format, just like the others described. There are no discrete 7.1 movies in any format! Do some research on your own before making a fool of yourself.
What my friend here is trying to say is THERE IS NO DVD WITH SEVEN CHANNELS RECORDED.(Encoded).You gotta understand the difference between Discrete and Matrix. DD EX is a Matrix recorded in 5 Channels and the reciever's DD decoder will output 5,6 or 7 channels, (depending on your configuration. but the 6 and 7's channels are only mixed from the surrounds.
On the otherhand DTS has two forms DTS-ES discrete abd DTS Matrix.
The Matrx works the same way. DTS ES Discrete actually has one more channel recorded on dvd making it 6.1. and if u have a 7th speaker watever u get in the 6th will be mixed with the 7th. So basically there is No 7.1 DVD its ur reciever doing the magic its almost like pretend. DTS is the only format with an actual 6th channel and that as far as it will go remember 7th is matrixed.

S

Steve D. Jacobs

Audiophyte
There will be

Even though there aren't any known 7.1 movies, I couldn't help but notice some info about the Blu-Ray. I'm a big Playstation fan so when I started reading about what kind of balls under the hood the PS3 has. they informed that their Blu-Ray will support 7.1 encoded formats. So if they have 7.1 recievers AND 7.1 PLAYERS, it's only common sense that in a matter of time, there WILL be 7.1 MOVIES

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I picked up Kingdom of Heaven and it has a DTS-HD track on it, which should be 7.1. Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have HDMI so I wouldn't know if it actually IS 7.1.....

OK, so let us just say for the record, there are no STANDARD DVDs that are 7.1 and there likely never will be.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia said:
I picked up Kingdom of Heaven and it has a DTS-HD track on it, which should be 7.1. Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have HDMI so I wouldn't know if it actually IS 7.1.....

OK, so let us just say for the record, there are no STANDARD DVDs that are 7.1 and there likely never will be.
What do you mean it should be 7.1?? The Blu-ray Kingdom of Heaven disc doesn't have 7.1 audio channels (I assume that's the one you're talking about). It does have a DTS-HD master audio track, but it's 5.1.

Am I missing something?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You guys are missing the fact that this thread is 3 years old...

..but since is current, there ISN'T any recivers with descrete 7.1 yet correct? And there isn't any disks that have it, correct?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
alandamp said:
What do you mean it should be 7.1?? The Blu-ray Kingdom of Heaven disc doesn't have 7.1 audio channels (I assume that's the one you're talking about). It does have a DTS-HD master audio track, but it's 5.1.

Am I missing something?
I thought the packaging said 7.1, and the dts website only listed 7.1 for Master Audio tracks (but then says 8ch MAX, and doesn't say if there would be 5.1). On my system, it is only 5.1 anyway :)

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I was speaking to Julian Pin Dolby Labs UK a few weeks ago about the possibilities of having five-screen, if you can get up to 7.1 channels for Dolby True, then I can see multiple possibilities with encoding and decoding.

But in the meantime where you might have dts-ES why not think like this ok! Get yourself a few extra stereo amplifiers Dolby pro-logic decoders and re-plug the surrounds using dts-ES and if you can get more out of it.

I’ll bet you £1.00 pound I could!:p

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
You guys are missing the fact that this thread is 3 years old...

..but since is current, there ISN'T any recivers with descrete 7.1 yet correct? And there isn't any disks that have it, correct?

SheepStar
If you use the 8 channel EXT-IN on most 7.1 receivers then it will be descrete 7.1(you just need a player that has 7.1 decoding and 8 analogue outputs and a disc with a 7.1 track)

On the other hand HDMI(all versions) can handle 8 channel 192khz PCM(and some HD players can output it, some not yet, they may need a firmware upgrade) so the question is whether or not current 7.1 receivers can accept this over HDMI(I have a thread about this here)

cheers:)

B

Bob_F

Audiophyte
Here are a couple of 7.1 Blu Ray DVD's

1.) The Golden Compass - Blu Ray
2.) Narnia Price Caspin - Blu Ray

I enjoyed these two Blu Ray films

Yeah, 7.1 sounds great.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The thread is about DVDs not Blu-ray, and it is VERY old.

A

abjonesiii

Audioholic
The thread is about DVDs not Blu-ray, and it is VERY old.
I concur with garcia. But old it may be this was a very amusing threat to read start to finish. At first i didn't realize the age of this post and after the first page I almost hit the reply button and let into "you ***** IDIOT! " At the last second I glanced a date a began laughing.

J

jnoller

Audiophyte
There are 7.1 DVD titles available

Sleeping Beauty is now in Blu Ray DTH HD Master 7.1 and sounds incredible. Pinnochio also is available on Blu Ray DTS HD Master 7.1

It's great to finally see my Receiver using all 7.1 channels Yahoo

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sleeping Beauty is now in Blu Ray DTH HD Master 7.1 and sounds incredible. Pinnochio also is available on Blu Ray DTS HD Master 7.1

It's great to finally see my Receiver using all 7.1 channels Yahoo
There have been 7.1 titles on Blu-ray for over a year already.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT DVD NOT BLU-RAY. Not to mention that it is TWO YEARS OLD.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, last actual discussion was 2007, but yes the thread is a lot older than that :)

D

DTS Digital

Audiophyte
There are DTS 7.1 titles on DVD!

You can visit dts.com and click on the DTS TITLES option above the search bar for a full list of 7.1 Surround Sound Technology DVD's that are currently available. Also, make sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook as we are always keeping our followers and fans updated on the newest releases. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hey, Welcome to Audioholics.

You can visit dts.com and click on the DTS TITLES option above the search bar for a full list of 7.1 Surround Sound Technology DVD's that are currently available. Also, make sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook as we are always keeping our followers and fans updated on the newest releases. :)
Thanks for the tip. :)

ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

Junior Audioholic
<< There are no dicrete 7.1 mixes in any format. >> Then why there are 7.1 receivers ?

Well Go look up the Yamaha RX-Z11. Once you do that you can ask where the 11.2 movies are.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Sound mixes from the big studios.

^ He is right, Movies are mixed in 5.1 discrete channels. The two additional rear channels are derived from the surround channels.
So, even if a Blu-ray says 7.1-channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack, it was originally mixed
as a 5.1-channel discrete sound mix.

I bet a lot of people did not know that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis