Are the pre-amp stages of the top 3 models from Yamaha and D&M discrete or are they ICs?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In the analog stage of the pre-amps, does anyone know if theses manufactures use discrete devices or chipsets?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In the analog stage of the pre-amps, does anyone know if theses manufactures use discrete devices or chipsets?
ICs, even the A-S801 uses an IC, and the volume control is an outdated/discontinued LSI (large scale integrated) IC.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is the "Top 3 models"?

The Yamaha C-5000, A-S3200, A-S2200? :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the "Top 3 models"?

The Yamaha C-5000, A-S3200, A-S2200? :D

Good question, I shouldn't have assumed he meant the preamps of the AVRs and AVCs. I included the A-S801 only because I consider that lower model of Yamaha's integrated is sort of AVR derived. The higher models are what I would consider "real", or more conventional integrated amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If 3 dB is asking about two channel models, Yamaha is the only one still making a separate preamplifier. D+M seems to have stopped making those real separates, so we can only look at their integrated amps.

For top models:

Yamaha: C5000, $9,999.95, a real separate preamplifier.

Denon: PMA-SX1 limited, Y780,000, approx. $7,400, rated 50 W/100 W, 8/4 Ohm, fully balanced, have balanced input, unbalanced output, sold in Japan.

Marantz: PM-10, $7,999, rated 200 W/400 W, 8/4 ohm, have balanced in/output.

At the ridiculous price points of those audiophile products, I find it hard to imagine any ICs will be used in the pramp stages, or any stage at all in any of them.:D

The Denon is only rated 50 W, so may as well consider it a high output preamp lol..

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
I just love looking at those backlit analog guages LOL; for me it just is so cool. Then again, I grew up around that kind of hardware in my early years, kinda like Otari reel to reels.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I meant for AVRs. My bad for not stating that. :oops:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis