Are my speakers so old that I'm missing out?

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
I have had a complete set of Vandersteen speakers (3A signature, two 2wq subs, VCC-5 center and a pair of VSM-1 surrounds) for around 20 years. The audio junkie in me wants something new in part because I wonder if with all the advances in speaker technology, I may be missing out on something. Having said that, Vandersteen is still selling all of the speakers I have, which in and of itself, is a phenomenal accomplishment for a speaker manufacturer. I'm also thinking that in order to get something at least as good or better, I would need to spend serious cash. Do you think it is possible for me to get comparable quality/sound for 5k or would I need to spend a lot more? If I were to buy the Vandersteen new today I'd be looking at over 10K!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Have you listened to anything newer and found that the newer speakers sound superior to your Vandersteens?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have had a complete set of Vandersteen speakers (3A signature, two 2wq subs, VCC-5 center and a pair of VSM-1 surrounds) for around 20 years. The audio junkie in me wants something new in part because I wonder if with all the advances in speaker technology, I may be missing out on something.
No, you are not missing out by using these older speakers. I've heard those speakers you have in a similar set up – they are excellent.

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
I haven't listened to anything else but I have read about Goldenear and other newer brands of speakers and wonder if there is a significant improvement in sound quality that I may be missing out on. I guess it couldn't hurt anything, except maybe my wallet, to go out and actually listen to some newer speakers and either decide I've still got a great setup or that I want to change things up.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't listened to anything else but I have read about Goldenear and other newer brands of speakers and wonder if there is a significant improvement in sound quality that I may be missing out on. I guess it couldn't hurt anything, except maybe my wallet, to go out and actually listen to some newer speakers and either decide I've still got a great setup or that I want to change things up.
Where are you located?
Some of the best valued options are not going to be available at just any shop.
However, I think the Martin Logan Motion series in BestBuy Magnolia rooms are pretty good speakers to check out - just over-priced (although not ridiculously expensive). Also have a listen to the ML electrostats while you are at the Magnolia room.

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
I'm in the CT/NY area so there are several stores around that I can visit. I should look at this as an opportunity to have some fun. I just hate going into shops and feeling the pressure to purchase something!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have had a complete set of Vandersteen speakers (3A signature, two 2wq subs, VCC-5 center and a pair of VSM-1 surrounds) for around 20 years. The audio junkie in me wants something new in part because I wonder if with all the advances in speaker technology, I may be missing out on something. Having said that, Vandersteen is still selling all of the speakers I have, which in and of itself, is a phenomenal accomplishment for a speaker manufacturer. I'm also thinking that in order to get something at least as good or better, I would need to spend serious cash. Do you think it is possible for me to get comparable quality/sound for 5k or would I need to spend a lot more? If I were to buy the Vandersteen new today I'd be looking at over 10K!
Unless you have treated your speakers like farm animals, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I started using a pair of speakers that I bought in about 1980 and they still sound very good. Yours are better.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I listened to the Golden Ear Triton 3 and was very underwhelmed, possibly by the way they were set up in the store's listening room.

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
Unless you have treated your speakers like farm animals, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I started using a pair of speakers that I bought in about 1980 and they still sound very good. Yours are better.
They have been treated with kid gloves, never over driven and no scratches dings, dents or pulls in the socks! If I ever decide to sell, someone is going to get pristine speakers!

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
I listened to the Golden Ear Triton 3 and was very underwhelmed, possibly by the way they were set up in the store's listening room.
Interesting given all the rave reviews... I had the same experience the first time I went to listen to my Vandersteens. Then I went to a different store and they sounded great! Set up is key!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It's year 2018, and by now, CNC, computer sims, and all associated software, software for that software, has found it's way into even the most basic aspects of manufacturing.

I am reminded of this as I get my ass consistently handed to me by a pair of speakers containing less than $70 worth of parts, and two simple subwoofers.

If I wrapped $3k worth of cabinets around them. . . . well then I'd really be getting somewhere. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know how willing you are to travel, but Dennis Murphy (who makes the Philharmonic Audio speakers and designs the Salk speakers) is in the MD/DC area. He makes the BMR speaker selling for $1350 a pair that I think is the very best value in a modern speaker!
Unless you are looking for extreme SPL, I think it is an incredible value. I am still evaluating them, but consider them at parity with my $3600/pr Focal Twin6 Be studio monitors and superior to my Paradigm Signature S-2's!
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html
(Note that while the photos show the midrange and the RAAL tweeter offset to the side, they are currently centered.)

C

Chokurei

Enthusiast
I don't know how willing you are to travel, but Dennis Murphy (who makes the Philharmonic Audio speakers and designs the Salk speakers) is in the MD/DC area. He makes the BMR speaker selling for $1350 a pair that I think is the very best value in a modern speaker!
Unless you are looking for extreme SPL, I think it is an incredible value. I am still evaluating them, but consider them at parity with my $3600/pr Focal Twin6 Be studio monitors and superior to my Paradigm Signature S-2's!
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html
(Note that while the photos show the midrange and the RAAL tweeter offset to the side, they are currently centered.)
Thanks for the heads up. They look interesting.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting given all the rave reviews... I had the same experience the first time I went to listen to my Vandersteens. Then I went to a different store and they sounded great! Set up is key!
I guess you have some homework to do. Audition some speakers and see if the newer stuff tickles your fancy more than your current Vandies?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
just be prepared for a subpar audition, few Magnolia setups do them justice.
Around here, around the middle of last year, all of the Magnolia Rooms seemed to be going through a transition. They had a guy who was decent to talk "audio-geek" with.
Like it, or not, it makes good business sense. When the economic crisis hit, a lot of small audio shops closed their doors. As the economy comes back, Best Buy can prevent the outside competition by becoming a bit more like a specialized audio store. Almost (if not) every BB in the Atlanta area now has a Magnolia room and there seems to be at least one guy at each who can shoot the shite without immediately sounding like an idiot.

But the ML e'stats seem to be pretty forgiving as long as you are settled in the sweetspot!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Around here, around the middle of last year, all of the Magnolia Rooms seemed to be going through a transition. They had a guy who was decent to talk "audio-geek" with.
Like it, or not, it makes good business sense. When the economic crisis hit, a lot of small audio shops closed their doors. As the economy comes back, Best Buy can prevent the outside competition by becoming a bit more like a specialized audio store. Almost (if not) every BB in the Atlanta area now has a Magnolia room and there seems to be at least one guy at each who can shoot the shite without immediately sounding like an idiot.

But the ML e'stats seem to be pretty forgiving as long as you are settled in the sweetspot!
Kurt, I was not speaking towards the Best Buy help, although most are pretty poor, rather the God awful set ups most have for their demos.

FYI, Logans (Stats) are not as forgiving as you think. They require plenty of attention to detail to sound their best, minimum 4 to 6 feet out from the wall, etc.

The 'BB / Magnolia' in my area is just down the street from one of the premier Audio Dealers in the country (Overture Audio, Wilmington, De) , the difference in sound is so dramatic it makes one wonder why Martin Logan would put their products in Best Buy to begin with.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Similar to up here. My favorite dealer of KEF, Paradigm, Martin Logan, B&W, and many others (AV Therapy, Nashua NH) has there building literally in the front corner of a Best Buy/Magnolia's parking lot and it's been the best thing they could have done to grow business. And that, they are doing. Business is so good they're busting at the seams.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They have been treated with kid gloves, never over driven and no scratches dings, dents or pulls in the socks! If I ever decide to sell, someone is going to get pristine speakers!
Then I would definitely keep using your pristine speakers unless there is something else missing in your system like more bass (subwoofers).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting given all the rave reviews...
The GoldenEars Triton One tends to run a little hot in the treble. They are +5dB from 10-12kHz, then +6dB from 13-16kHz, then +5dB around 17kHz.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-one-loudspeaker-measurements

The GE Triton Reference is a little better with a +4dB from 10-12kHz.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-reference-loudspeaker-review-test-bench

So I think it depends on who is doing the reviews and which rooms. Do they like more treble or less?

Some people actually want more treble, some people want less treble that that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis