are DLPs still worth considering?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
As long as this is for a dedicated HT room I don't know why you wouldn't go with a front PJ. But if it's for an everyday television that you're watching in your living room I don't know why you would go with a front PJ.
Then you can have your cake and eat it by adding a $600 Panasonic 42" plasma hidden behind pulldown screen as well. Heck, maybe they're even less today...

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
This thread has been really infomative. Thanks to all who have posted so far.

I currently have a late model Mitzu 73" rear PJ. I was thinking of moving to a front PJ but I cannot reasonably control the light in that space. Should I just upgrade to the newer 73" Mitzu?

For what it's worth, it will be used as and everyday TV with Dora and Sponge Bob getting most of the limelight.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
well, darn you guys. i am now looking at the 65" dlp's. trying to sell my current set for a few bucks.

anyway. if you have a 65"ish set. could you do me a favor ? measure the screen verticaly and horizontaly. thanx a ton.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Then you can have your cake and eat it by adding a $600 Panasonic 42" plasma hidden behind pulldown screen as well. Heck, maybe they're even less today...
As much as I love plasma, I would go with a DLP or a LCD for daytime viewing and use the projector at night. Even the Panny plasmas aren't that great for daytime viewing w/ lots of windows. The Onkyo TX-SR905's are getting fairly inexpensive on Fleabay. The dual HDMI-outputs would be perfect for a dual setup like that.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know why you can't use a projector in the middle of the day. If you have some nice shades or even good blinds I think it can reduce the light enough to make the PJ work. I watch football games all they time during sunday and saturday afternoon. I use a DLP projector that gets around 1500 lumens and it works just fine for all viewing.

I don't see any problem using it for everyday viewing and use. If you have too much ambient light you should get a blackout curtain. Which would be beneficial for that summer energy bill too.

I do suggest getting a back up bulb just in case it decides to go out one day.

But I don't see how you are going to watch a 42" tv after seeing the big game on a PJ.

Just my thoughts. I suggest you save the 600 and use part of it on a replacement spare bulb, and the rest you put towards something else.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I usually have light on too. But have you ever watched football on a Projector?

I mean seriously. Watching the game on a 90" or greater screen is so amazing and wonderful it's worth turning down the lights. A PJ is more than twice the size of most TVs. This means you are totally immersed in the game. Combine that with having your surround sound on. And it's just unbelievable. Football is the best thing to watch on a PJ IMO. I think it beats movies and playing games. Especially if it's on CBS, or NBC. Fox has the lowest PQ IMO. I think you should try the PJ with a football game first. And then if you think you need to get a tv. Get one. There is no hurt in seeing if the PJ is good enough for the game? If it is you save yourself some cash.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Never watched football on a projector, no. I have seen many projectors very washed out by ambient light though.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have watched plenty of football on a PJ but daytime games, when we like to leave the lights on and the window shades up, seem to be a poor choice. The real solution is to get a 73'' Mits and have a 120'' screen drop in front for the movies!

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

ok, guys. i am SERIOUS about this !

could someone with a 65" and a 72/73" measure vertical and horizontal screen size.

PRETTY PLEASE !!!

also. how does the picture compare with lcd ?

thanx

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
could someone with a 65" and a 72/73" measure vertical and horizontal screen size.
I don't have one, so I can't measure. However, while you're waiting, here's some info that might help you.

A 16:9 screen has measurements with ratios that follow 16 in the horizontal direction, 9 in the vertical direction, and (approximately) 18.4 in the diagonal direction.

So, a 65" TV that is 16:9 will have the following dimensions:
Vertical = 9 * 65 / 18.4 = 31.8"
Horizonal = 16 * 65 / 18.4 = 56.5"​

Following the same logic, a 73" 16:9 TV will have the following dimensions:
Vertical = 35.7"
Horizontal = 63.5"​

Those aren't exact because 18.4 is rounded up, but they are very close.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

looks like i would have 3 1/2" taller and 13 1/2 wider. i think thats a nice improvement.
about 12' veiwing distance.

Soundman

Soundman

The 73" is what I am interested in.
I would not go smaller than 65" and really think that is too small.
How far away are you sitting? I have the 65736. It is, of course smaller then a 73" set, but still a good size. I'm sitting about 12 feet away and it's perfect for that distance. Now some do like to sit closer for that theater effect, but keep in mind that with DLP sitting at the appropriate distance is more critical b/c the image won't look look as sharp if sitting too close. A 65" set gives you a 5' wide screen, again a nice size. It's about as large as I could go for the room it is in. I didn't have enough wall space to go larger. If you have the room, then by all means go larger if the budget allows. Just keep in mind what the room layout is like and your viewing distance first, then take some measurements. Personally I'd take a smaller set with ideal viewing conditions over a larger set that's just crammed in there, but if you have a nice large room with plenty of viewing options, then go for the 73". :)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
My recommendation for anyone who has a theater room for "everything" is to do the following:

1. Get a decent projector: 1080p is all the rage these days. You should be able to get a good LCD or DLP 1080p projector for under 2k. 720p will do as well if the screen size is under 100" and you sit about 12-15 feet away.

2. A motorized screen. A decent one. Not one of those $200 screens. I bought one of those - pure garbage.

3. A 720p LCD tv. Why 720p and why LCD? Simple. Daytime viewing and price. A 720p is really all that's needed if you're going to be watching standard def tv programming or even HD programming. Opt for a 1080p if you want since the prices are dropping fast for a 40" 1080p lcd.

Keep the TV mounted behind the motorized projector and voila. You have a setup for daily tv watching and when you want to watch movies, or use the projector for sports, fav shows etc... you're good to go.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My 73" Mits IS 65'' wide.

I have a LCD, Plasma and the DLP, the DLP will give the other two a run for the money in the PQ department.
ok, guys. i am SERIOUS about this !

PRETTY PLEASE !!!

also. how does the picture compare with lcd ?

thanx

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

the DLP will give the other two a run for the money in the PQ department.

no kidding. i was at tiger direct. they had what was posted as the 65" on display(i didn't have a tape to measure it). seemed smaller than i expected (comparing measurements up next to my current 52").

but the quality was not the greatest. it was up on a shelf (i was looking straight at the speakers). it had lcd's all around it to compare with. perhaps it was the viewing angle, or it wasn't calibrated. or even worn out. the picture didn't look much better than my 52 at times. other time = much better.

are there any calibration/adjustment issues to be aware of ?
i'm not expecting perfection. just something that will come remotely close to the toshiba i just got (i am new to HDTV. but the HD picture on this set is fantastic). and be much better than my current 52"

i am 99% sure i am getting the mitsu 65". though i would consider the sammy 67" if i could see/buy it locally.

thanx

Soundman

Soundman

no kidding. i was at tiger direct. they had what was posted as the 65" on display(i didn't have a tape to measure it). seemed smaller than i expected (comparing measurements up next to my current 52").

but the quality was not the greatest. it was up on a shelf (i was looking straight at the speakers). it had lcd's all around it to compare with. perhaps it was the viewing angle, or it wasn't calibrated. or even worn out. the picture didn't look much better than my 52 at times. other time = much better.

are there any calibration/adjustment issues to be aware of ?
i'm not expecting perfection. just something that will come remotely close to the toshiba i just got (i am new to HDTV. but the HD picture on this set is fantastic). and be much better than my current 52"

i am 99% sure i am getting the mitsu 65". though i would consider the sammy 67" if i could see/buy it locally.

thanx
I have a 65" Mits, and first of all, this screen is a whole heck of a lot larger then any 52" screen, much much larger. As for PQ, once you have it callibrated, it produces a very nice picture, especially considering the price. LCD's probably show better on a showroom floor because they are brighter, but once you get it home, you are going to want to turn the brightness down anyway. Viewing angles, of course, are not as good on DLP's. If this is important than go with the Mits. over those Sammy LED's.
I know what you are saying though. I tossed and turned over this one before I took the plunge into DLP. The bottom line is that for screen sizes 65" or larger, there are no other affordable options.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I'd recommend a DLP to my dad, for instance. He currently has an aging Hitachi 60" widescreen LCD rear projection set. I think he'd be thrilled with a 65-67" DLP.

But at the 50" or so range, I'd definitely stick with plasma or LCD.
Jonnythan,

What is your opinion on Pioneer PRO-151FD ? ( 60" Pioneer elite kuro plasma)

Thanks,

MidCow2

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
My opinion is that it's very expensive and I would love to own one ;)

I have very, very little experience directly comparing different TVs compared to most others on this forum. You should seek advice from someone more knowledgable :)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I have a 65" Mits, and first of all, this screen is a whole heck of a lot larger then any 52" screen, much much larger. As for PQ, once you have it callibrated, it produces a very nice picture, especially considering the price. LCD's probably show better on a showroom floor because they are brighter, but once you get it home, you are going to want to turn the brightness down anyway. Viewing angles, of course, are not as good on DLP's. If this is important than go with the Mits. over those Sammy LED's.
I know what you are saying though. I tossed and turned over this one before I took the plunge into DLP. The bottom line is that for screen sizes 65" or larger, there are no other affordable options.
then you know where i am coming from. very nice is all i am asking. and i could care less about viewing angle. that dlp will be there to serve ME, all others get what they get. and i don't want to spend $2500 on a set, to have it be obsolete in 5/6 years. but $1500, well, wouldn't be so bad of a hit.

what does the calibration entail (in a nutshell) ? can i do it myself ?

if things go well, i will go get mine saturday afternoon. as i have a buyer for my pioneer this saturday (i know, i know = if he shows up and buys it. i am wanting $200 for it, and it is like new)

have any pics of yours ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis