are DLPs still worth considering?

S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
I am interested in purchasing a new TV for home theatre use and am intruqued with the Mitsibuishi 73" rear projector.
I like big and it seems to be a good value.
Is this technology still worth considering compared to Plasma or LED?

Also can someone clarify the differences of the 3 models of this unit.
I believe the 735, 736, 788 sorry if i have the numbers wrong but I am
not sure of the differences.

Thanks

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
There are only a few minor differences between the 735 and 736 models, the 736 has a front HDMI input, it allows for adjustment of the tint on all the 6 colors of the color wheel, whereas the 735 can only adjust each color, not the tint, and it also has net command. The 788 is the diamond series model and it has a nicer cabinet, 120 hz. and all the features of the 736, but I think that's about it. I have the WD-73733 which is last years equivalent of this years 735, the only differnce I can tell between the two is the styling of the cabinet, I don't think anything else has changed. I love my 73" mits. and it's still the best value in a tv as far as inches per dollar goes. The only drawback of DLP to a flat panel is that with a DLP you have to replace the bulb every so often, but seeing as how you cant get a flat panel in a 73", you just can't beat it.

S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
Thanks

The model I was thinking of is the 73833 and 73831 can you tell me how these differ from the 736?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, they're only worth considering if you're looking for something 60 inches or larger.

annunaki

annunaki

IMO, they're only worth considering if you're looking for something 60 inches or larger.
I would tend to agree with that. Depending upon the price of the set, a screen and quality projector can be had for a reasonable sum now too.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'd recommend a DLP to my dad, for instance. He currently has an aging Hitachi 60" widescreen LCD rear projection set. I think he'd be thrilled with a 65-67" DLP.

But at the 50" or so range, I'd definitely stick with plasma or LCD.

S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
The 73" is what I am interested in.
I would not go smaller than 65" and really think that is too small.

would screen and projector be a better option? It seems like a more complicated solution. how would the picture compare to dlp or plasma?

itschris

itschris

If you don't have a good room for a PJ, do a lot of coming and going to the tv, want a 55" + picture size, and cannot justify spending $5500+ on an LCD or Plasma, then yeah... spending $2500 for a really nice DLP makes sense.

That's what drove my dicision. Sure... I don't have the cool factor of a flat panel on my wall, but when I'm watching IRON MAN on my 65" tv... it doesn't really bother me all that much. If size matters (no jokes please!) than a DLP ought be considered.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
SB,
Is bigger than 73 an option? If it is, go PJ and screan.

The ONLY time I would recomend anyone to not use a PJ, is if it is not a controlled lighting room, and gets way too much sun.

Almost every single other reason can be defeated. Price also plays a huge part in it. I have 120" anamorphic for just a bit more than the new 52" lcd I put in the bedroom.m If I would have not been screwed over in buying the PJ I would have paid almost the same price and had a free bulb.

A great question would be to ask yourself, or us, is; "Why don't you want as PJ?"

Last edited:
S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info

I really don't know why I wouldn't want a projector and screen. It just was intimidating to me. Its so much esier to just bring in a 73" tv set.

I was considering a 65" panosonic plasma but the 73" was more dramatic due to size.

Is a projector and screen picture as good as a plasma or does it win strictly
in "Theatre Effect"?

Seriously I have the room for it just wasn't comfortable getting into it.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I think a properly set up PJ can have a better picture.

And putting in a HUGE tv is much more diffocult than installing a small PJ box and if the screen rolls up and down then it's all the more easy!

Since introducing my family in law to what PJ's can do my father in law and my brother in law have upgraded to have one in their basement as a primary movie and game set. They spent almost NOTHING on theirs. They do not have 1080p or quiet fans... but for them it was a MASSIVE upgrade, and the brother in law mad a DIY screan out of a sheet and some back cloth. His whole video set up was 60 bucks and he traded a refurb computer for the PJ.

It takes a "bit" more work, to set up. But the pay off IMHO is HUGE!

I would have another PJ in the bedroom but I found a great deal on the 52" and there will be lots of light in the room as it will double as a computer moniter for the wife.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Projectors are really tough in rooms with light. Watching a football game on a projector on a Sunday afternoon with a little bit of sunlight and all the room lights on kinda sucks, to be honest. Think about that light gray or white projector screen with the lights on - that color is the blackest that black can possibly get on your screen.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the info

I really don't know why I wouldn't want a projector and screen. It just was intimidating to me. Its so much esier to just bring in a 73" tv set.

I was considering a 65" panosonic plasma but the 73" was more dramatic due to size.

Is a projector and screen picture as good as a plasma or does it win strictly
in "Theatre Effect"?

Seriously I have the room for it just wasn't comfortable getting into it.
A PJ system annihilates everything at anything close to the budget, at over 70".

If you are skerred, or simply do not want to take time to do a bit of research, that's one thing.

My brother has a 65", I think, Sammy DLP. He would be the first one to tell you that my PJ setup blows his away. Not even close. And its not just size, its PQ as well.

One thing that I like to recommend to many other folks is an affordable PJ setup, with secondary flat panel. A 42" Panasonic plasma could be had for $600 for quite a while now.

The very best feature about DLP RPTV's is size per dollar. PJ setups take that even further, yet can offer much better PQ while you're at it. As others have said, its more room dependent than anything else. Ok, its also more research dependent as well.

S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
what would it cost to do a good projector and screen system say with an image of 80-90"

I would want something that will meet exceed a top notch DLP system

Can you make some reccomendations and I will reasearch it.
Not scared in the least just had others tell me not to bother with the great reasonably priced large DLP TV options. Thats why I started looking at the 73"
Mitsu

Thanks

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I feel 1080ub blows away anything I have seen recently in anything 60" or above.

If you can control the lighting in the room, the possibilities really open up.

Mine is the epson 1080UB. Probably many out there for cheep as they are now last years model. I got my fixed frame 2.4:1 screen made by focupix. I have a really helpful thread here. Josten was invaluable there actually.

J

jasonwf

Audiophyte
yeah it's all about the lighting in your room, I have to stay away from them because of my large window, but right now I'm using an old school rear projection set and it has worked for me, but now on to plasma :D

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i just googled that epson. amazing is what i saw. if you want large, thats the bang for buck right there. i showed my wife, she said holy $#!+. if you want it. get it.

S

SB99ACR

Enthusiast
This thread made me consider a Front projector system for the first time.
I belive I am going to go with the Epson 6500
and aprox. 110" screen

I appreciate all the good info

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's a good move. Check out the Mits HC6500 as well, I highly recommend it.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
As long as this is for a dedicated HT room I don't know why you wouldn't go with a front PJ. But if it's for an everyday television that you're watching in your living room I don't know why you would go with a front PJ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis