C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I need some troubleshooting help. I have a 77" LG CX and a Denon x3300W AVR. All inputs except my XBOX Series X run through the Denon. The XBOX runs to the TV (to take advantage of the 120 hz output) and I then use ARC to the receiver. Last night I turned on the XBOX and I got no volume. No changes were made to any settings. The XBOX outputs bitstream Dolby Surround. The LG is set to input bitstream and output over ARC. And in the Denon ARC is turned on, and CEC is turned off. It worked fine since I got the TV in January.

I have done all the trouble shooting I know to do. When I switch the LG to output to the TV speakers, I get audio when I use the XBOX. So that tells me the problem is with the ARC between the TV and the AVR. I have unplugged the HDMI cable between the TV and AVR and disconnected both power cables. Plugging them back in did nothing. That is the end of my ideas.

Anyone have any other ideas to try?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Surprised it worked at all if HDMI Control was never on in the Denon as ARC requires it. Try turning on Simplink in the TV and HDMI Control in the Denon with ARC on in both as well.
42E3A005-BB91-41BC-B942-54C6DC9BD483.jpeg
53733D99-2F3C-4F44-B61A-9663C5812FDB.jpeg

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I played around with all of the settings. I turned CEC on on both the receiver and TV and unplugged the from power for a few minutes. Still no audio. It is baffling me. Not sure how it can work fine one day and not at all the next.

Any other ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try the turn on sequence with sink first then working backwards?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't understand what you mean.
The sink is your display, then work backwards thru the chain to the source from there in terms of powering things on....

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Ok - I powered on the TV. Switched it to the XBOX HDMI input. Powering on the TV, powered on the AVR automatically (So CEC is working?). The I switched the AVR to TV Audio. Then powered on the XBOX. Still no audio.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Any audio from TV apps?
I did not try the TV Apps. When I switch the TV Audio output from ARC to the internal TV speakers I get volume from the XBOX, so it does not seem to be a source issue. Should I try the TV apps, and what would that tell me.

For the time being, I installed an optical cable and assigned it to the XBOX input. So that works for now, but I do want to figure this out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If ARC works with the TV apps, then there is an issue with getting sound over from devices connected to the HDMI ports. What audio codec is coming over from the XBOX?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
If ARC works with the TV apps, then there is an issue with getting sound over from devices connected to the HDMI ports. What audio codec is coming over from the XBOX?
I'll have to check the TV Apps tonight when I get home.

The XBOX was set to output Dolby Digital in bitstream. It's basically the only choice. When I select DTS:X or any of the others it tells me my receiver doesn't support those.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, you are in a pickle. The TV doesn’t support DTS at all and ARC in the receiver is limited to DD+. So, TrueHD and DTS HDMA are not going to get to the receiver via ARC. Playstation and XBOX should both have dual HDMI outputs for this s#%t. Hell, some of Sony’s UHD blu-ray players have them. I do not believe there is currently a device that would take the HDMI signal from a console and split it, sending 4K @120 video from one output port to the TV and audio to the receiver from the other output port.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Yeah, you are in a pickle. The TV doesn’t support DTS at all and ARC in the receiver is limited to DD+. So, TrueHD and DTS HDMA are not going to get to the receiver via ARC. Playstation and XBOX should both have dual HDMI outputs for this s#%t. Hell, some of Sony’s UHD blu-ray players have them. I do not believe there is currently a device that would take the HDMI signal from a console and split it, sending 4K @120 video from one output port to the TV and audio to the receiver from the other output port.
I don't care that much about being able to pass the lossless codecs over ARC when using the XBOX. It is only used for gaming and mostly by my kids. Frankly the optical cable is fine for that. I use other sources for streaming/movies and let the AVR do all the switching on those.

My problem is that it's a brand new TV and if the ARC isn't functioning I want it fixed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't care that much about being able to pass the lossless codecs over ARC when using the XBOX. It is only used for gaming and mostly by my kids. Frankly the optical cable is fine for that. I use other sources for streaming/movies and let the AVR do all the switching on those.

My problem is that it's a brand new TV and if the ARC isn't functioning I want it fixed.
Seems ARC functions, tho. It's the tv acting as audio receiver that seems to be the issue?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Seems ARC functions, tho. It's the tv acting as audio receiver that seems to be the issue?
I will not profess to understand ARC, but isn't the "tv acting as audio receiver" what ARC is? When the TV is set to output over ARC I get no sound. When the TV is set to output to the TV speakers or over optical to the AVR, then I get sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will not profess to understand ARC, but isn't the "tv acting as audio receiver" what ARC is? When the TV is set to output over ARC I get no sound. When the TV is set to output to the TV speakers or over optical to the AVR, then I get sound.
All ARC does is allow for return of audio sourced from the tv over the single HDMI cord. You're getting audio so ARC functions, but seems your tv cannot handle the codec involved in what you're using the tv as audio receiver for. Is it really worth running the xbox thru the tv for its 120hz thing?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
All ARC does is allow for return of audio sourced from the tv over the single HDMI cord. You're getting audio so ARC functions, but seems your tv cannot handle the codec involved in what you're using the tv as audio receiver for. Is it really worth running the xbox thru the tv for its 120hz thing?
Perhaps we are miscommunicating. I am not getting audio when I use ARC.

The audio signal travels from my XBOX to the TV as proven by the fact that when I switch my TV audio output to the TV's internal speakers I can hear the audio. Doesn't that mean that the TV can handle the codec? I would also think it can handle the DD codec since the ARC worked for the first 4 months I owned the TV.

From there the TV seems to have stopped sending the audio signal to the AVR. When the TV is set to output over HDMI/ARC, I get no sound.

The audio signal will, however, travel from the XBOX to the TV to the AVR over the optical cable.

As for the 120hz question, my kid says it matters - but I'm not so sure :) Like I said, it works over optical so I could run it that way still take advantage of the framerate/refresh rate match or I could connect the XBOX to my AVR directly. But right now it's a matter of having something that once worked that no longer does and being concerned something may be wrong with the TV. It's an expensive TV and a decent AVR and I think it should work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't tell you if a component has failed, or something needs a firmware update (or what else?).....I was referring to that you got audio from the tv apps (or did I misunderstand?). Can you bitstream audio to the tv from your xbox like you would with an avr?

ps When I first got ARC capable gear, my tv was (is) limited to 2ch output no matter what the source was (except over-the-air 5.1 content). It wouldn't surprise me there are still potential hangups in what the tv can process for export.....

Last edited:
C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Couldn't tell you if a component has failed, or something needs a firmware update (or what else?).....I was referring to that you got audio from the tv apps (or did I misunderstand?). Can you bitstream audio to the tv from your xbox like you would with an avr?
I have not tried the TV Apps yet so I don't know if I get audio to the AVR over ARC using those. That was suggested to me this morning and I will check it in a few hours.

The XBOX is set to output bitstream to the TV. What happens to it once it gets there is the question.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hope you work it out. ARC can be a nightmare. I gave up on mine, again, this weekend and turned it off. I’m sure I’ll miss something about it soon enough and start the cycle all over again.:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis