Apple FaceTime App and iPhone 4 Announced at WWDC

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Today's WWDC keynote event held few surprises as Steve Jobs announced the newest 4th generation iPhone 4, dubbed, conveniently, "iPhone 4". The iPhone 4 features a new FaceTime app and an all-new thinner design that is similar to the iPod Touch in depth and is identical to the model procured by Gizmodo earlier this year. That little stunt is resulting in potential prosecution pending further investigation. The new iPhone has several brand new features that really make it a major upgrade. We document them here in order of importance and significance.

Discuss "Apple FaceTime App and iPhone 4 Announced at WWDC" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I can't wait for the iphone to hit other carriers, AT&T is just awful and their network isn't up to the task. I can't wait for 4G to become more mainstream and more 4G phones to hit the market. I would definitely consider a Sprint branded 4G iphone, but that may be some time before that happes, if ever.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm in Charlotte, NC. I should have waited for the Sprint Evo since we have 4G here, but I was anxious to upgrade when it was time, so I just got the new Blackberry curve 8530 instead. I'll get something nicer next time I upgrade, hopefully there will be more 4G phones to choose from, and hopefully they will be less expensive.

L

loathy

Audiophyte
I dunno... 4G is faster, but currently it absolutely murders the battery life of most 4G phones. The speed boost I've seen hasn't been enough to make the battery loss worth it. It might be a different story in a year or two, though.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nobody believed me when I told them that a verizon iphone probably wasnt going to happen. The way people believe anything they read online is amazing...

And to Glocksrock, I also have sprint and I just bought a Palm Pre a few months ago. I wish I waited for the Evo though cause it sounds awesome.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I dunno... 4G is faster, but currently it absolutely murders the battery life of most 4G phones. The speed boost I've seen hasn't been enough to make the battery loss worth it. It might be a different story in a year or two, though.
and just how many 4G phones are there out there? Just one, the Evo... so how can you say the battery life on most 4g phones? the battery life on my blackberry curve sucks, I have to charge it every day... I'm used to it by now, plus I keep a charger at work so it can charge all day long if I want it to, while still using it for whatever. Good thing I have a car charger too, and a charger in my laptop bag...

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I've had my 3G since it came out 2 years ago. I live in the Chicago suburbs, and over the years(before the iphone) had alot of issues with AT&T .. I've had alot of phones from verizon to sprint and I have to say I have never been happier than with my Iphone. My reception is decent.. and yeah verizon was better, but not so much that I cant live well with AT&T in fact my reception is better since I got the iphone. I am 100% going to get the new one ASAP

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Nobody believed me when I told them that a verizon iphone probably wasnt going to happen. The way people believe anything they read online is amazing...

And to Glocksrock, I also have sprint and I just bought a Palm Pre a few months ago. I wish I waited for the Evo though cause it sounds awesome.
Wait so you want us to take your word (some guy I don't know online) for it over some news story (some other guy I don't know online) because you were right and they were wrong? Haha....somehow I find a flaw in this logic. :)

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wait so you want us to take your word (some guy I don't know online) for it over some news story (some other guy I don't know online) because you were right and they were wrong? Haha....somehow I find a flaw in this logic. :)

Lol, I'd hardly call them news stories though. More like CNN wanting page visits so they title an article as Verizon iPhone Coming Soon and fill it with generalized speculations. :D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Lol, I'd hardly call them news stories though. More like CNN wanting page visits so they title an article as Verizon iPhone Coming Soon and fill it with generalized speculations. :D
Yeah don't trust the journo's that's what I say!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am so over the iPhone. I used to want one so bad I really wanted it to come to Verizon.

I picked up the Evo on Friday. I never thought I'd switch from Verizon but Sprint seems to have coverage everywhere Verizon does.

The Evo is one hell of a phone. I wouldn't even consider an iPhone after having this phone for only a few days. Real multitasking, no iTunes, amazing 4.3" screen, no Apple big brother saying what you can and can't put on the phone, and best of all, no AT&T.

I will sell my old BB Storm and maybe even my iPod Touch. I dont need the iPod anymore. The Evo has all the apps the iPod has plus many that one will not find on iTunes because Apple rejects them.

Oh yeah, the kick stand is awesome. :D

I typed this entire post on the Evo.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't have 4G coverage near my house or work but I did happen to be in a place last weekend where I caught some 4G goodness. I ran a speed test and measured 5.5 mb down and 700k up. That is significantly faster than 3G and web browsing was noticeably faster. I wasn't in that area long enough to know what impact it may have on battery.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Lets all keep in mind that the new Apple Iphone is NOT 4G network capable.... that is just the name of the phone in a progression of names - Iphone 2G, 3G, and 3Gs

I am waiting it out right now to see what comes down the pipe - my At&T contract is up next month and I'll likely be looking to hold out until the new Tegra 2 chipsets will bring to the phone market later this year (hopefully).

http://www.tegraphone.com/

I'd really like to move away from the restrictions of Itunes and go open source. The Iphone is a nice product and I'm sure the new one will be just as nice of an upgrade, but I can't stand Itunes. I have Jailbroken, so don't come back at me with that business. I've had the 3G for 2 years and its been a good phone but I'm ready for a change.

I've been looking at the Droid Incredible, but so far until something changes with the battery life aspect - I can't truly want to jump on board.

Last edited:
I'm out of contract but I won't buy the new iPhone until I see some real time with it and reports... tired of reading about Apple products glitching after they introduce new form factors. With a new antenna, new body, and new software, I want to make sure it's well field tested.... and not just by guys who leave the phone in a bar late at night...

R

roshi

Audioholic
Interesting how this article was missing the usual sarcasm directed towards Apple that I have come to expect from Audioholics.

In any way, I have a 3GS and a bunch of other Apple products and don't miss being in an "open" environment with windows, etc. at all. I think the big point that most people are not seeing when giving their arguments against apple is the fact that Apple products work so beautifully because they run in a closed eco system. With Apple it's all about the user experience, and so far I have not seen anything that comes close.

One thing I do love about Apple is the fact that they indeed are actually using and contributing to a lot of open source standards. The fact that they are making "face time" open source, so that other manufacturers can integrate it is just incredible. As far as I know Skype's software is not open source....

Anyways, my two cents.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis