Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, not poor, but they seem like speakers they would probably be best in treated rooms.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I wonder why they did not in the first place?

I assume they don't believe it's important to show the 45 degrees off-axis?
Aperion is looking into this and my other requests. But what all are saying in the reviews is the Width and Depth is excellent, as well as the Imaging. Tom's plot does show you his 30deg. in room response, which tames the higher octave down a little vs. on-axis response.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Soundstage has done so for the Verus Bookshelf....

NRC Measurements: Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf Loudspeakers

Price range considered of course - Listening window looks good, but far off axis, upper treble response suffers quit a bit. On the other hand, upper midrange and low treble looks great until beyond 45 degrees...
Good input, I saw that but a totally different animal as you know. :)

Of all the data on the VGT I have seen so far is On-Axis FR Plot, and only Impedance FR Plot... and Xover pts.

No Phase, No Distortion THD+N, No Listening Window, No Off-Axis for Vertical and Horizontal (out to 75 degrees or close), No Deviation from Linearity, No Polar Plots.

I am sure they have all that data, and will be forth coming soon I hope.

Bunch of good guys at Aperion, and their support is second to none, as others have reported.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Hmm, not poor, but they seem like speakers they would probably be best in treated rooms.
Do you want a Pillow in each corner, and some 4" diffuser and/or absorbtion panels or would you rather have a 30 Pack of Canadian Kokanee on the table when your listening to them? :eek::cool:

I know where I will spend the monies... :eek:;)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
MDF vs. HDF Error

My posting no. 77 was in Error. I had received from Oliver at Aperion this AM that the enclosures were made out of HDF, not MDF. That is in Error.

The VGT enclosures are made from MDF, not HDF, Oliver admitted the error as he was thinking about their SubWoofer enclosures, not the Verus Grand Towers.

Correction just for the record, since they are "VERUS", not Versus as my buddy ADTG likes to call them. :):D

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The Verus Grand bookshelf was shot at the NRC anechoic chamber (soundstage) which shows a few measurements such as on-axis, listening window,THD+N, impdeance etc but I don't see any on the Verus Grand tower.

NRC Measurements: Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf Loudspeakers
Ed, at Aperion is aware of this Thread, and is to be working on getting us some data on the Verus Grand Towers, hopefully similar to what was measured on the Verus Bookshelves.

I am concerned about what the phase looks like at low impedances, would love to see a CSD plot but that one might be a long shot, would love to see linearity and also THD+N, and for sure FAR OFF Axis FR Plots, and of course by default the Listening Window five point average at 92dB SPL.

Interesting to me also, why that sort of data is not shown certainly for the Grand Towers costing considerably more than the much cheaper Bookshelves of which it is there online. ;)

Hopefully, Ed at Aperion will pop in here and give us all some Great News on Engr. Measurements of the Aperion Verus Grand Towers.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Did soundstage do a review on the Verus Grand Towers? I only see one on the bookshelf model.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Does goodsound use the NRC chamber or is that only through soundstage?

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Does goodsound use the NRC chamber or is that only through soundstage?
My understanding is any of the Soundstage publications have access to getting speakers measured.

I am sure there is a cost associated with it, so maybe that is why they don't measure everything.

S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
I brought the VG towers and Center. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with em. Going from axiom m3's in the bedroom. The axioms were fine with movies but weren't very musical IMO. I'm all about getting the best bang for my buck. That's why i didn't get the VG bookshelves for surrounds. I have little doubt they sound good. And would be a great buy for use as mains on a bookshelf system, but i don't know yet about spending that much on surrounds. diminishing returns again. I may be wrong and end up with them after finishing my research on surrounds. But right now I have over 30 days to find out if they are worth it, since they are back ordered.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Soundstage has done so for the Verus Bookshelf....
I am somewhat looking to purchase some speakers again - these have
caught my eye - however, out of stock again. I would really need to use
that 30 day trial. The main thing I am intereseted in - would be the over
all resolution, of the midrange.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The only problem I see with the Salk ST's or HT2-TL's or Phil 2/3's or Kef R900 is once I buy them I own them, vs. the VGT if I do not like the Sonic Signature of them even if they do measure FLAT I have the option of sending them back. Very hard to beat that deal to me.

What do you see wrong with being Flatter thru the mid-range where approx. 80% of the musical content is at?

That must be Floor Bounce/and/or Room Acoustics on Toms FR Plot showing the dropout at around 175hz. or so, hopefully that is not the Xover but I doubt it as the Aperion FR Plot does not show that dropout.
There is nothing wrong at all with being flatter through the midrange; that's how they should measure. I'm confused why the Salk's didn't measure that way, which is why I asked if the room changed or perhaps the measurements technique or gear. I've measured Salk speakers a few times just myself, and they don't sag like that, even in my own room at 3 meters without gating the response. In short, I can see why they scored a 4/5 while the VGT scored higher. This doesn't line up with what I've heard, so I was curious.

I agree that the dropout at 175 is floor bounce; definitely room related.

I brought the VG towers and Center. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with em. Going from axiom m3's in the bedroom. The axioms were fine with movies but weren't very musical IMO. I'm all about getting the best bang for my buck. That's why i didn't get the VG bookshelves for surrounds. I have little doubt they sound good. And would be a great buy for use as mains on a bookshelf system, but i don't know yet about spending that much on surrounds. diminishing returns again. I may be wrong and end up with them after finishing my research on surrounds. But right now I have over 30 days to find out if they are worth it, since they are back ordered.
Good choice! For the money they are pretty sweet. They are way better than Axiom's stuff, that's for sure. :) I'm still loving what Ascend (the new Tower) and Salk offer in the price range, though. They are still my top two...for now. :) Once I hear the Philharmonic 2's that could all change, though (I suspect it definitely will).

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Does not look very good to me.

On-axis is decent @ @ +/-3dB, off-axis 60 degrees @10kHz looks like -15dB. Looks a little bright around 7-10kHz, doesn't it?

And THd+N is probably 2% from 400Hz-5kHz?

I mean overall, I don't think it looks that much better than the Infinity P162?

Take me to school, Grant!:eek::D
And hear I thought I was the only one not too impressed. :p I was going to keep quiet about it, but since you opened the flood gates...LOL!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And hear I thought I was the only one not too impressed. :p I was going to keep quiet about it, but since you opened the flood gates...LOL!
Oh, man, you caught me.:D

I'm not very impressed with the NRC measurement of the Verus Grand Bookshelf.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Did soundstage do a review on the Verus Grand Towers? I only see one on the bookshelf model.
Jeff Fritz at SoundStageNetwork did a review/writeup in his Music Vault on the Verus Grand Towers, but no chamber plots. His writeup/review was very positive.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I am somewhat looking to purchase some speakers again - these have
caught my eye - however, out of stock again. I would really need to use
that 30 day trial. The main thing I am intereseted in - would be the over
all resolution, of the midrange.
The Verus Bookshelf is a speaker I will definitely try at some point... just haven't gotten there yet. Every time an open box pair pops up at Aperion (which isn't often)... I get that itch to buy them... but I've held off so far...:D

They're more expensive than my Energy RC-10's ("street price"), and don't measure appreciably better (I'd even argue a little worse in some aspects), other than a bit less pronounced roll-off in the upper mids/low treble as you get out to 45 degrees and beyond... but I'm interested in comparing the two nonetheless.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
SunnyD, are you hearing the same things that Home Theater Review reported on the Verus Grand Towers in their review/writeup?

Where they reported that there was a bit of low end detail and control that was absent and the high frequencies seemed to lack a bit of extension and air?

Just curious as you own the VGT's? Would love to hear your feedback! :)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Oh, man, you caught me.:D

I'm not very impressed with the NRC measurement of the Verus Grand Bookshelf.
Geez, the Bookshelf is far from the Grand Tower in number of drivers, enclosure design and volume, porting, Xovers, plus the Grand Towers are using a MTM design with dual woofers (6").

Apples vs. Oranges, and so should the measurements be, so far as we know they are. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis