Anyone mount a sub off the floor?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
On a stand? How high? Ever try at an angle with the front higher than the back?

Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
I've used 6" cinder blocks. May have reduced some tactile response on suspended floor. Also don't think my measurements were hugely different.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
I neglected to add that I also use SVS's isolation feet.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You can put a subwoofer almost anywhere. But with out comprehensive measurements, you are flying blind!

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
It's recommended by Dennis Foley of Acoustic Fields corp; he (and his company) designs room treatments and consults in the design and construction of sound venues. He often places particular emphasis on the "third dimension", i.e. the floor to ceiling distance, an area he feels is not properly accounted for in LF room response tailoring.

Now, a home is not a recording studio or a concert hall, and the goals may differ significantly. Also many subs are specifically designed to use the floor as part of the response envelope. But it may help deal with standing waves if they prove to be a problem in a specific room. It's not particularly difficult to experiment with in your space. Use proper lifting technique to avoid back injury or a hernia.

Perhaps it should be noted that he doesn't recommend relatively short elevation ... dimensions like 18~36 inches from the floor are more typical. Avoid any multiple or fraction of the floor-to-ceiling distance (eg the centreline of the voice coil should not be at 2' or 4', or 32" [one third height] in an 8' height room). Small changes (a few inches) can make large differences if they move the sub away from a multiple / fraction dimension.

Angle should have little to no effect as the wavelengths involved in subwoofer frequencies are not directional. If you can close your eyes and locate the sub, chances are the crossover frequency is too high or the slope is too gentle.

If it's a down-firing sub, you want to keep the feet it came with or substitute something of roughly the same height. I forget the exact dimension but something like 3" is enough to pass subwoofer frequencies radiating between the driver and the floor or the base of your elevated stand. Technically speaking it's a (very) low impedance port with the dimension of the footer height x the entire 4 sides of the sub enclosure. For subs that don't down-fire it's not an issue; whatever works.

Last edited:
kamaaina1

kamaaina1

Enthusiast
sub.png
This is what I have. Bass seems to have tightening up a bit. Less "boomy". I like the sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Often it isn't the sub that improved (less boomy) but that the floor is being vibrated less by the sub being decoupled from it. The result is that you hear more of the sub and less of the floor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there something particular about getting it off the floor that you're interested in?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Is there something particular about getting it off the floor that you're interested in?

Yes. I sit in a high back chair, when I lean forward 1ft the bass dramatically improves. I’m hoping raising the sub sound would improve. If not then it’s likely the high back chair that needs replacing (its a recliner and I spend most of my time in it).

Sub is on a hardwood floor right next to a big Capet.

Just got a email the sub amplifier will be here Saturday.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. I sit in a high back chair, when I lean forward 1ft the bass dramatically improves. I’m hoping raising the sub sound would improve. If not then it’s likely the high back chair that needs replacing (its a recliner and I spend most of my time in it).

Sub is on a hardwood floor right next to a big Capet.

Just got a email the sub amplifier will be here Saturday.
Or the sub just isn't in the ideal place for your listening position due room modes. A high backed chair might affect other frequencies, but don't think it will matter much to sub frequencies. Altho as was said if raised high enough it could change the room mode relationship....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The room has some challenges and there's not a lot of spots for the sub due to size. The room is open to a large space, but the listening area is fairly small. There may be one or two spots the sub could be tried out in to see if it does better.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The only way I have to measure is with my ears.
While humans can be "amazing measuring instruments", that does not apply to calibrating bass in small rooms. Bass wavelengths interacting with room boundaries can cause every seat to sound different, and as those wave lengths also correspond to the boundaries in your room, you have to know what frequency dips and peaks are centered on to know what room mode, is causing what problem and if it can be solved with positional EQ, or DSP.

But when it comes to overall playback, the room, the electronics, the speakers, are all part of one system. And when it comes to reproducing sound in rooms, EVERYTHING matters.

I am repainting my HT's ceiling, which means everything will need to be repositioned and calibrated - I intend to be taking pics of the actual arrangement and response graphs so I can demonstrate Positional EQ in my room to find the best spots for the subs, and then what DSP filters I applied on top with before/after response. Still need to go back thru and fix all my old write ups photo links, so bear with me! I think you will find this information useful!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis