Anyone heard the Tekton Impact Monitor's?

CB22

CB22

Full Audioholic
Ratings
193 1 1
Just curious, has anyone here heard them? These look like some pretty interesting speakers when looking at how the tweeter mid-range function. Their site says, "Proprietary controlled directivity - acoustically superior proprietary polygon-oriented, seven ring radiator mid/high frequency array. This array disperses a precisely focused acoustical power pattern of that of a horn or waveguide without the audible ringing influence of horn flare walls constraining the soundwave for acoustically superior mid-range high frequency performance." Can't say I really understand what this means, except how its supposed to have good mid-range/ treble.

Came across two positive reviews and looked at their specs:
  • Made under U.S. Patent 9247339
  • Proprietary 3-way loudspeaker design
  • Dual 6.5" Transducers
  • 94dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity
  • 4 Ohm design for optimum performance (8 Ohm available please inquire)
  • 40Hz-30kHz frequency response
  • 120 Watt power handling
  • Height 24.5"x Width 10.125" x Depth 13.0"
These impact monitors are almost almost 25" in hight! That's bigger than the BMR and the BMR is a big speaker, ~20" if I recall correctly. Pretty big for a bookshelf speaker.

Reviews here if interested:
https://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-impact-monitor-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/
https://www.cnet.com/news/big-for-a-reason-the-tekton-impact-monitor-speakers-will-blow-you-away/

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic General
Ratings
I was supremely interested in Eric's work. Especially the Double Impacts. Almost flew to UT to audition at his shop. That's when I had the option to audition the Phil-3s (locally). ;) You know the rest.

Tekton seems to have happy customers. Wish there was more reviews of his stuff and third party testing. I enjoyed the few conversations we had, Eric and I. Though his marketing angle seems to frustrate people, I really got the sense from our conversations that he was focused on innovation in a perceived stagnant market. If you look at some of the Double Impact reviews, you'll get the gist of that too, possibly. There's also the reviewer that uses Teal Blue Pendragons as his reference speakers.
Also, there was a guy a chatted with here that was happy enough with his Pendragons that he was ordering DI's from Eric, and putting his Pens on Surround duty! Return customers say something, too.

;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Ninja
Ratings
1,154 9 15
I don't blame ya. You're living the high life with those Song 3 Encores. I'm sure it doesn't get much better than that. Did you wind up getting subs?
On order see ya somewhere in April lol. The Tektons havent ever measured well for those that have been reviewed, but still sound pleasing for some. I havent heard one I've thought jumped out at me and none ever sounded bad, just not for my ears. I'm a huge fan of a flat responce so if sound tailoring is needed it's simple. You dont have to EQ the poop out of a speaker to get the sound you prefer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic General
Ratings
This is where the reputable JA says they don't have expected dispersion problems. However, his review doesn't really put them where their website puts them.
Ultimately, it was this squirrely "are-they or aren't-they" that lost me. I would still like to hear them, but not at the expense of a trip to UT. ;) Or anywhere else, really.
I think James, shady, had a favorable opinion as well. Cant remember which show but I do remember a comment about the array.
Ya, but in a separate post on the same thread he commented about having heard those impact monitors, he also lost it on the patent and internet marketing angle. ;) Kinda cute, really.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Ratings
34 2 1
The vertical axis response is worse than a crappy ribbon tweeter, the horizontal response isn't really much better than a single tweeter with a good waveguide or horn. It also ends up being a gigantic speaker.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I've heard the Tekton Double Impact Be and it sounded okay, the highs were forceful and shouty but I feel you can get something similar with a horn or a waveguide without the tradeoff in vertical dispersion.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis