Anyone heard the Martin Logan Motion FX speakers?

F

Filmgeek47

Enthusiast
Can’t seem to find any professional reviews of these guys. Hoping to use them with my Motion 40s and 30 as part of my 7.1.4 setup. A couple of customer reviews mentioned that the build quality was cheaper than they expected. Can you guys share your experience with these speakers?

N

nonametofame

Audiophyte
I'm about to get a pair of ML FX2s in. These are much larger than the FX though, but I think either would pair well with the Motion series. I'm getting them in to demo them against a pair of Def Tech SR9080 surrounds I'm using now with Motion 60XT and 50XT. I have to mount my surrounds flush on the back wall, flanking my listening position, which is also against the wall. The 9080s are the best surrounds I've used in this arrangement, so you can consider those too.

N

nonametofame

Audiophyte
I just got passed the 72 hour manufacturer break in period recommendation on both sets, so I'll be sharing my final results soon. But even after a day, I felt the FX2s were a big step up. This is probably because they're a better match for my larger speaker set up. The FXs are barely able to keep up with my Def Tech SR9080s, so that would be a sideways or even downgrade if I keep them. I do think they would be fine with the Motion 40s and below, both in size and soundstage.
Build quality on both are fine, but not as nice as the towers or centers. Neither have the gloss black, but instead a matte black finish. I don't like the non removable metal grill on the FXs, but don't care for the fabric grill on the FX2s either, but they do look very cool without the grills on as they are removable.
Huge differences in size though. The FX2s are flanked with really massive tweeters.
More details to come...any questions, ask away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis